What Is Your Burger Blend?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Dec 9, 2019.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

30% fat because the fat is the meat, and the meat is the vegetable.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

its a vegan thing. everytime they don't eat meat, they tell us.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

50% lean beef, 50% spicy Italian sausage.

It don't get much better than that.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Here, this may help:

[​IMG]

5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I'll be right over, ya like onionrings:)

dkmw and getbent like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

#2 is ground brisket. #1 is ground beef from the German butcher. The ground beef is always fresh and very tasty, the day's trimmings with just about a perfect balance between fat and lean. Always a little black pepper. We don't need salt if we use toppings. My wife and I both like sautéed onions. I like Kerry Gold Irish cheddar. This is a case where the cast iron skillet works better than the outdoor grill. There's something about the fat burned on the outside that adds flavor. It also allows a quick cover to melt the cheddar quickly. This makes me want to drive the two miles out of the way to the butcher on my way home tonight. ;)

MrGibbly likes this.
  7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

My apologies - I missed the thread. Anyhow, I don't use chorus either. :lol:

MilwMark, meric, Chiogtr4x and 3 others like this.
  8. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I use the regular 80/20, but I add chopped onions to it. I wouldn't make a burger with just meat unless it was for a kid.

Straydogger likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

80/20 and top it with sauerkraut. Home made sauerkraut.

Those short ribs ... when butchering beef we'd specifically keep them out of the hamburger grinder because they really overcharge the fat content.
    So if you are using 100% short ribs ... what starts out as a hockey puck sized patty ends up as a burger the size of a fifty cent piece. But it's just a seasoning for the rest of the stack of toppings anyway ;)

10. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I like brisket and short ribs. A few years ago I did a series of tests when I got my meat grinder. What I found was that all the burgers were good when you grind them fresh. If you handle it properly you get way less compression than when you buy it already ground. Just like with playing guitar, a little compression can be a good thing, but too much compression and you lose the dynamics. So keep the patties as loose as possible without them falling apart.

Come to think of it, I don't really remember much about my ground beef tests other than I liked brisket and short ribs. Maybe I'll have to have another burger shootout after the new year.

Bones likes this.
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

not my experience at all, yes fatty but cooked medium rare, not much shrinkage at all and very tasty.

12. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

80/20 generally.

Depending whatever I want it could be simple salt/pepper/garlic powder or Worcestershire/salt/pepper/garlic or Cavenders (with or without Worcestershire) or Weber Deluxe Hamburger seasoning or ...........
    We prefer rare to medium rare so a 1/3 lb patty is about 2-3 minutes, turn for about 2 minutes, turn & add sliced cheese or sprinkle feta on top and remove after 30 seconds or so

We’re not really precise. After all, it’s a burger not a top end steak

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Zackly!

artdecade likes this.
  14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Like @Peegoo (that felt weird to type out) I use a 50/50 mix of lean ground beef and Italian sausage. I use mild though. I toss in an egg, a shake of onion and garlic powder plus some extra fennel seeds. Bread crumbs for stickiness and make em in to patties.

Or if you don't like patties, this is also my meatloaf recipe.

Peegoo likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow. Ground short ribs in your burger?

When is dinner?

My favorite is elk and venison combo, but rarely have I had both available at the same time.:oops: I love my neighbor's bear and beef breakfast sausage, but his bear burgers taste terrible to me. So, don't add bear meat in the future.

Ya know, I am just gonna have to buy some short ribs and grind it up to try. It sounds so good. And it's all your fault.;)

Bones likes this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Have to cook hamburgers on the grill. After that, hasn't been mission critical to design what cut of beef is involved, though typically it's ground round.

But, lately, we've been using buffalo burgers. Pretty tasty, IMO, although I know other folks don't care for it. For seasoning, we use either Montreal seasoning or Tony Chachere's or sometimes a little of both. Moose burgers are pretty good, too, but just not generally available in this neck of the woods.

montreal.jpeg
    tony chacheres.jpeg

drlucky likes this.
  17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...reminds me of saying I heard in Romania, which translates as "In Romania, the best vegetables are the pork."

charlie chitlin likes this.
  18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

It’s kinda funny, somewhat related, Iv been wanting to get into making my own mix, but lately at home I’m preferring a burger patty, with cheese, and eating it like a small steak with a fork and a knife with mustard. No bun, no other toppings... that said best burger I’ve ever had was a mix of chuck, sirloin, brisket, and I think pork sausage... might be remembering that wrong.

19. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

• Chuck roast, cubed
    • 1/2 tsp Kosher salt per lb.
    • Small dash each of onion and garlic powder per lb. Not too much.

Mix ingredients together, then grind fresh. Don’t go too lean: Fat = Flavor. Loosely form patties. Grill or fry.

I like to season before grinding. The less handling, the better the texture and taste.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Danjabellza likes this.
  20. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I don’t mix; always 100% beef for burgers. 85/15, ground round. I generally don’t mix in any other meats for beef dishes other than for meatloaf, when I add in some ground bacon. If I want some pork flavor in any beef dish, I’ll cook the beef in bacon fat. I’m also not a “plain burger” guy though, so despite the fact that I love beef flavor, for burgers, I pile on bacon, hatch green chiles, a fried egg, aged cheddar and chipotle ketchup. When I want to be a beef purist and “not add anything except salt and pepper” I cook a ribeye. This thread is funny :lol::D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.