1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is wrong with being a money grabbing enterprise?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I’ve skipped meals in order to purchase soap. We’ve come a long way, baby!

Skydog1010 and getbent like this.
  2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

8 pages I'm sure all opinions are covered already but I just wish people valued passion over money. Nothing wrong with getting paid or getting rich as long as your product or service is quality. I dont like the trickery behind a lot of mass marketed junk whether it be pop music or the latest and greatest iPhone. Brainwashing people into paying out the wazoo is trickery. Unethical in my book.

nojazzhere and buster poser like this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    When I part with me money,
    1.) I seek wise counsel
    2.) I always hold a grudge when someone wants to stick their mitts in my cookie jar.
    3.) I have a great deal of prejudice for people that think they are entitled to my assets.
    4.) I like buying duct tape.

I've never been to Spain (actually I have), but I kinda like the music.

Alabama is nice in the winter.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Toilet paper, now there's a term that fell out of fashion for a while, but seems to have returned.

5. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

All I know is Snickers bars are way smaller than when I was a kid and cost lots more.

Nothing wrong with profiting from providing a quality product for a fair price.

As always, buyer beware.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

I kind of made light of your post, but it's actually well thought out and written as well. I think it just boils down to people will pay whatever the price is for something if it's really what they want. There is really no logical reason why people would pay over a million dollars for a car, but they do, sometimes much more. There is no reason for a person to pay two million dollars for a house, but in some locations, that might not buy your much more than a thousand square feet of living space. Need and want have become interchangeable in many people's minds.

7. Toto'sDad

Once I found myself standing out on the highway with everything I owned on my back, and in a paper sack. I had my thumb up looking for a ride in either direction, I didn't care where just away from there. A few years later, I found myself alone again, only this time I had a 1963 Falcon pickup to carry my stuff in, and all of it was in the cab. When you do climb out of the hole, and get back on your feet, you feel a sense of accomplishment you can never attain from a free ride on someone else's money.

Scooter91, nojazzhere and Cyberi4n like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

How's that working out for ya? :D

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I was helped out a hole. It wasn’t because I asked for it, but when the offer was made it seemed pretty rude to refuse it. Sometimes pulling yourself up alone is easier said than done.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I bristle when I hear faulty criticism of bedrock intellect, by those who are too uninformed to know they are uninformed...and unaware they are exploiting that intellect every day, all day. Like Hollywood types...;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My grandfather was the youngest of ten, and my girlfriend had 9 siblings.

But things were different then. A Nation was building its strength, and needed bodies (manpower) for factories and armies. But all of this has changed. Now, our adversary is our inability to see things in terms of quality of life, not quantity.

Not that long ago, everything we saw in front of us could be ours, or could be taken away from us entirely. Now, the surest way to lose is to not recognize that circumstances have changed.

We're not that different in age, but in the short spell between your decision to have kids and my decision not to, something happened. I submit it is not disrespectful in the slightest to our forebears to recognize this change.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

[​IMG]

13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Madoff. Enron. Colombian Drug Cartel. OPEC. Etcetera

buster poser likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Buyer beware, is correct.

I loved those nickel size bags of Lay's Potato chips (some other brands, also). They put the very best "value for money" portion at the bottom - I wish they did this today.

But I got stung hard, in 1962 I think it was, because I had to be Mr. Smarty Pants and I bought the dime sized bag of Lay's. What an idiot I was, because you could kinda see it wasn't 2x the size of the nickel bags. And when I opened it, to my sick amazement I found one SINGLE potato chip in this bag. It was one of the larger potato chips I have seen in my lifetime, but this was like losing a puppy. To spend ten precious cents in 1962 and get only one chip. I was mortified, more than I would have had I spoiled my clothes in class or something. Couldn't tell anyone about it, for years.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

the irony being that wasn't their slogan 'you can't eat just one'?

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.