1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is wrong with being a money grabbing enterprise?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Make a list of the things that are considered especially valuable and desirable in this world. Ask yourself why they’re considered to be especially valuable and desirable.

Next, make a list of all the different things that people endure, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, until they’re finally given their lives back when there’s only a small portion left.

Then make a list of all the rules that you automatically obey everyday that are rules made by somebody else. Did you grant anyone permission to make all these rules for you, without even consulting you first?

People trade their lives for trinkets and nonsense. The world is Bedlam.

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

“Money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to sail right next to it.” - David Lee Roth

3. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Or both....or neither.....like you said, it gets complicated if we're living out of our higher functioning nervous system.

It's my considered opinion that one of the biggest challenges and failings of humankind is the belief in villains and heroes. If we all took a deep breath...paused...and then dispatched forever that nonsensical idea humanity would be transformed for the best overnight. Heroes and villains only exist in comic books. Real life is FAR more complex. It's an adolescent belief at best that is just rampant especially at times like this. I wonder about it's roots and perhaps, like most aspects of 'us', it's roots are in our biological past...how we are hard wired for survival. Our most fundamental/primitive sensory awareness is very simple...it's designed to determine are we safe or unsafe...it's a digital off or on....not an analogue scale with grey areas. That's how our primitive operating system is designed...physical survival....safe/not safe. There's absolutely no room in that system for complex or nuanced thinking that our more evolved neural systems have. So, when stressed, we tend to live out of that primitive 'safe/danger' system and the world, as a result, gets divided into villains or heroes...good guys or bad guys....you're part of the problem or part of the solution.

Of course when we are really in imminent physical danger then we want that primitive system to do it's job. Having some skills with recognizing what contexts are best handled with what 'brain' is a good thing.

That's my current thinking on the matter at least.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish I was so rich, that I could hunt that guy down who rides the elevator with me every day that speaks with a nice college professor accent, that says he's always hungry, but I don't know it, and buy him a Ruth Chris Steak dinner!

5. Toto'sDad

I'm thinking almost 100% of the time, if you're happy, the money will help, if you're unhappy, try money it'll probably help. You can always try being broke later.

BobbyZ and Cyberi4n like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

I'm thinkin' them metaphors are getting, uh, complicated.

7. Toto'sDad

I'm a simple man, if I'm hungry, and I've got the money, I buy myself a meal. I really don't think too much about what goes into the process of it appearing before me. Now gettin' a haircut at one of them places where men and women both get their haircut, the gal who cuts your hair is going to have a STORY! That's a given, probably starts just outside where she was born, and continues on up until right before you sat down in that chair. She's mining that tip like the 3M mining company. Now, that I can understand.

I do think if someone waits on you and provides good service it should be rewarded. When we went to breakfast Sunday, I left the gal a twenty five dollar tip for being so patient with all of us for talking at the same time. She didn't even throw us out or anything.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I'll leave it here: if fishermen and shepherds 2000 years ago understood this, it shouldn't honestly be over our heads.
    That's it.

9. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Martin Luther talked quite a bit about having a calling or a vocation, not just a job. The idea was that all people, not just pastors, monks, or nuns have a calling.

For example, he said that if you're a cobbler, you're called to make decent shoes at a fair price for people who need decent shoes.

I'm 100 in favor of capitalism. I'm also 100 in favor of people making a decent product and charging a fair price for it.

Luther wrote before "supply and demand" was really a concept. The huge question is what constitutes a fair price.

nojazzhere and Cyberi4n like this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

don't you understand? I want what I want for free .I'm entitled to get what I want for free because I'm entitled to get what I want all the time for free (sarcasm)

zzz mr piggy.jpg

Toto'sDad and Cyberi4n like this.
  11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

If you steal something small you are a petty thief, but if you steal millions you are a gentleman of society.

12. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Work hard, take care of your loved ones, do the best you can, better yourself. Thats all anyone decent can do. I dont give a damn how much anyone else earns, I care primarily about making sure I earn enough. It's none of my business what the next man puts on his table. I totally despise this notion that the rich should share what they have amongst the poor simply because they have it. I was poor once, in a hole, and had to pull myself out of it rather than demand that someone else gave me a slice of theirs.

Scooter91 likes this.
  13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Not a thing. I am sure if any of us 'invented' the next big thing everyone one had to have, none would say 'no I dont want to make money'

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't been to any in a long time, but I did like some free festivals without bands. Mostly hard tek, there was also a reggae festival. I might like a Goa trance festival.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Very similar to the axiom, "Money can't buy love......but it can RENT it for a while."
    And to any that don't "get" sarcasm....it's a joke. ;););)

BobbyZ likes this.
  16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

"Money doesn't talk... it swears." -Bob Dylan-

(He might know.)

17. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yeah, that's fair enough re TML. I was way late to the party there because of the expense, and you do get nickeled and dimed to death there between drinks and your class of lodging. I still never felt like I was being ripped off though, never felt unsafe, etc., and with 200k people that's pretty impressive to me. Fyre Festival was just straight grift.

loopfinding likes this.
  18. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

In the dialect of Aramaic that was the common language at the time of the camel/needle statement, the word for “camel” also means “rope”.

Strange things can occur once translators are involved.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

A long, long time ago, cultures needed to prioritize human activity and products. What's more important? a single shoe size for a 6'11" child, or grain for bread? Or Egyptian beer? Or temporary labor to bring in crops before the fall floods? And so on.

You get a different answer to all of these, if you ask an individual, or another individual. Or a different community. But when you ask everyone, and assign a value to both importance, and quantity of folks, you get a relationship like,

value = importance x quantities

Some really smart folks determined this relationship could be unitized and standardized so that labor and goods could be fairly managed by the consumers of that labor and products. And thus currency was born.

Money represents your choice, your vote, your free will and selection of what is important to you, individually. And, it allows fair and equal choices in life. You can trade time for money and subsequent Coors and Taco Bell, or you can work less, and spend more time fishing with the grandkids. You are in control.

We sometimes look at the collective "value" and are shocked. For instance, it still amazes me how valuable Amazon is. I buy nothing on Amazon. Yet, Amazon is worth 1.6 Trillion. Revenue is 300 Billion last year. And they produce nothing - they simply retail stuff produced by others.

So to the uneducated, the size and scale often shock folks. Another example are things like engineering. 1000 years ago, bridges and buildings were scaled with risk from previous builds. If something didn't fail, just add 5% more on the next build...until it falls down. Or, iron was thought to be the wonder material, good for hundreds of pounds per square inch!

But with understanding of mechanics, material science and some selective testing, we can design something without building anything, and determine if it will survive earthquakes, or violent storms. With margins of safety as insurance. And we have bulk materials now that are good for tens of thousands of pounds per square inch. Even hundreds of thousands of pounds per square inch.

Space travel is an application of Newton's laws of motion. Radio transmission is beyond what we can intuitively understand.

The point, is that a lot of stuff isn't intuitive, like quantum physics, non-linear dynamics, and economics. We discover and prove some principals, and when applied, they scale to some miraculous things that boggle our imagination.

I really don't expect Hollywood types to comprehend anything like the point of economic structure, much less science and engineering. If you are informing yourself about how the world works thru movies and media, you are missing out 90% of what humans do every day to live.

PS - correction, value = importance / quantities. Air is important, but there's plenty. Toilet paper isn't important, unless there's too low a quantity and so on.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

does that mean there is an aramaic song called 'camel the wind?'

BobbyZ and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.