1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is wrong with being a money grabbing enterprise?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

MeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeTOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

String Tree likes this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

"Love of money is the root of all Evil." It's that simple, no selfish excuses mitigate that.
    There was a funny sign along Paradise Rd in Vegas back in the 80s, in front of a small church.
    It said: "If you think it's hot HERE ..."

nojazzhere, Toto'sDad and 1955 like this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I wasn't filthy rich, would that mean I may nave been involved with Money Laundering?
    I may never know.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know what it's like to be Filthy Poor.

Fiesta Red, Toto'sDad and tery like this.
  5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

It all depends if one is looking up or down ;):)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

In theory it's all good. However, what typically plays out in real life is that fortunes are made off the backs of those who don't have the ways and means to say 'no' without severe consequences such as extreme poverty, disease etc.. Same as it ever was. If you're living in a shack in a third world country and being paid peanuts for your labour while a handful of people thousands of miles away in a gated community are getting VERY rich then I don't think that economic model is serving the world beyond a few pocket books. That doesn't leave me impressed as to someone's 'business savvy'. Unless raping and pillaging are included within the definition of business savvy then, I suppose I'm impressed. You're kind using the language and tone as if we're talking about criticizing kids who have put up a lemonade stand to make some comic book money....but that's not REALLY what we're talking about.

getbent and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

I'm thinking I don't necessarily love money, but man, does it buy some nice things! I also think, with the way things are and all, I wouldn't mind finishing out my days being so rich that it wouldn't even cross my mind to try and sneak out the back door at that fancy restaurant.

nojazzhere and boneyguy like this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Exactly. My mortgage banker told me that the average person lives in a house that they own for 10 years. She said, 'think about that for a second.' That is some deep stuff for me. I owned one house for 11 years, another for 8, one for one, one for 3 years, my current one for 6... and one that I've had for 16 (it is less a home than an investment)

In your case, if you are gonna live awhile and you plan to stay in the house OR if the house will be sold if you were to pass in the next 5 years or decide to move.... you may want to go new IF you have the cash and it won't be a strain.

Like you said, it is complicated...

I grew up loving Country Rock... and Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne... I did not want to see any of them live after 1990. They were still great, I get that. But, it would have messed up how I want to think about them. It wasn't the money or anything like that. I don't go to too many live shows over the past 10 years, it has to be exactly the right mix of things to get me out... and in those years, I played tons of gigs...

For a couple of shows I did go to, I spent what most people would think was crazy money, but I can't even remember exactly how much, I just really wanted to go.

When the Giants had their run in the 3 world series, I got lucky and a childhood friend who worked for the Giants hooked me up a few times, but I also BOUGHT tickets multiple times and LOVED it.

My internal barometer usually leans toward your C. If a great company comes, tears off the old roof, fixes everything and puts in a good 30 year roof... that is one whole headache I will NEVER need to worry about again.... but, I know and respect that not everybody thinks that way.

My brother told me once, 'you know, you over improve every house you get.'

I dig the complications and considerations of decisions and when I hear other people's, I like to try to wander through what I think their thought process is.

The key principle in all of this is--> Never take advantage of other people. Play fair. Do right. The reward is in itself.

9. strat a various

Camel ... meet "eye-of-needle".

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

There's nothing wrong with making money ethically, and entertainment is a choice. The consumer chooses to pay the price or not, and if they don't no one is hurt. But, excessive price gouging on things that people need, especially things people need to stay alive, that's another thing entirely. A reasonable profit is fine, but charging whatever you want to, no matter how excessive or inflated, because you're the only game in town, that's criminal.

Rocky058, Cyberi4n and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

I bought a $2.50 bottle of water yesterday.

And questioned myself for it.

SmartSelect_20210119-212234_Samsung Internet.jpg

12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Oh come on now...wake up Daddy-o....don't you read FB memes!! Or old bumper stickers......get yourself 'woke' man!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Toto'sDad, telleutelleme and 1955 like this.
  13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I listened to that record over and over years ago.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

The problem is who decides what the problems and solutions are haha.

Cyberi4n, boneyguy and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

I wish I was so rich, that I could hunt that guy down who rides the elevator with me every day that speaks with a nice college professor accent, and buy him a Ruth Chris Steak dinner!
    Judge not lest...

Fiesta Red likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Everyone is part of one or the other.

1955 likes this.
  17. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

There is the minor issue of ethics, morals, and scruples.

1955 likes this.
  18. strat a various

To quote wisdom is not to judge. I thought everybody already knew that. So, you're welcome.

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

using that phrase implies that they're trying to get more money out of you than what they are selling is worth.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Someone sees an opportunity to make a buck and does it. I don't have a problem with that.
    Unless they're thieves!

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.