What is too early?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Oct 8, 2019.

What time is appropriate to start making appointment reminder calls?

1. 7:30am WAKE UP!!!!

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. 8:00am Had your coffee yet?

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. 8:30am Did I catch you at a bad time?

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. 9:00am You out of the can yet?

41 vote(s)
    62.1%
  1. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't call me at all unless I have a history of missing appointments. Which I can not remember doing, sine I'm good on time management and keeping appointments like a responsible adult.

dented, cyclopean, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I think it depends on the situation; as outlined there are some firms/fields/locations where 7 am is the shank of the day, I have friends in the trades that work 5am - noon during the summer. My MD ditto all year round, if I have a 6 am appointment, it would be NBD to get a 7 am reminder the day before.

dented likes this.
  3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

I don't have a landline only a cell phone which I put on silent. Callers can leave a voice message if I decide not to answer upon viewing who's calling or am away from the phone or sleeping. I put in 54 years working to get to the position of being a retired up after 7:30 am "lazy slacker" ; which is far better than getting up anywhere between 4:00am and 6:00am and being "dead tired" at the end of the day.

dented likes this.
  4. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Anything before 9am is just rude and inconsiderate.

dented, cyclopean, tele12 and 2 others like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Exactly.

dented and cyclopean like this.
  6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

The German punctuality is one of the reasons we won WW II. They did everything on schedule. We could improvise which worked to our advantage.

dented likes this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

9am seems okay.

dented likes this.
  8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

7:30am - I'd blast you if you called me that early, I'd probably use an air horn.

Working for a hospital 9:00am is the norm, although I think 8:30 is safe.

dented likes this.
  9. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

Truth be told, I don't tend to go to the doctors, but I would aim to get there 5 mins before, that's a check in system. I'm not trying to teach anyone a lesson, I'm just trying to plan my day in a way I feel comfortable.

I mean more if someone is coming to my house for a meal or we're going somewhere. I'll sort my day to make sure I'm ready for that person to arrive at say 6. If they turn up at 5.45, I could still be in the shower etc.

Being early is just as rude as being late. Infact, in that scenario, I'd prefer they were 5 minutes late than arriving 5 minutes early when I'm naked.

Work wise, I'm not late, or early. I work flexitime, I do my work, and I work 40 hours a week, the specifics of the minutes are upto me. It's a system I find ideal.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's exactly my take. My usual, is to be early, I hate, hate, hate, waiting on people who are perpetually late. I don't need a reminder, if I have an appointment I keep it.

dented likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, you point out some valid exceptions to my "practice". If I'm going to someone's house, I tend to arrive a "little" early, (allowing for traffic and such) but then wait in the car until scheduled time. If I'm going to my regular doctor, and I know their check-in routine, I'll just be a little early. (sometimes I'll get in before appointment time, and I get out early) If a new (to me) doctor, I know they have differing amounts of paperwork, and I err on the side of caution, and allow for the unforseen. I also understand that delays can happen, and don't get upset if someone I'm meeting is a little late.....BUT, some people are constantly and consistently late, and that is simply due to a total lack of respect. People who know me know that, if I'm late somewhere, there is a valid and definite reason.

Gaz_ likes this.
  12. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

Yeah, it's all about trying to get through every day in the easiest possible way for myself, but without inconviencing anyone else. It's a trickey balance.

dented and nojazzhere like this.
  13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Why is "Camp on their porch and swill sangria all night" not a survey option?

For that matter, nothing about shred versions of "Dancing Queen"??

Bad data in, undude results out.

14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Since I usually get up at 5:30 AM during the week to get ready for work, it doesn't matter too much when you call. I won't answer the phone anyway.

15. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

In this day and age, who answers their phone unless it's someone you specifically want to talk to? If your intent is to just leave them a reminder message, it doesn't matter when you call.

However, if you want to stand a better chance of actually talking to them, then you should assume you're calling people at work, and not call before 9:30. Many people start their workday at 9:00. To call them as soon as they sit down at their desk at 9:00 is annoying. Before that, they're either getting ready to go to work or commuting to work and not likely to answer.

16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I’m up at 4:30AM, at work by 6:00AM. These times don’t really affect me much.

However, you will not be warmly welcomed if you call me after 9:00PM on weekdays. There’s a price to be paid to getting up that early—I have to retire early as well, unless it’s something VERY important.

dented likes this.
  17. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Your 666 area code might be a factor....

18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Just call me if you need to. I control my phone. It doesn't ring unless I want it to ring, I don't answer if I don't want to answer.

And the same back at you. If you don't want the call, turn off the ringer and don't answer. Fine with me.

dented likes this.
  19. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

So let me address a couple of things. As I said in the OP there are about 5 instructions to be given over the phone so we have to talk to the person. Those 5 instructions bring up more questions. If those instructions are not followed the appointment will be rescheduled even if the person comes in on time. We do not text message anyone because we need to talk to them. It is not a simple reminder just to be there at a certain time. But alas this is all about a call to a home and what time is considered too early. All of you have chirped in with some good comments. :D

20. MarkieMark

MarkieMark TDPRI Member

If I didnt initiate the contact, and am not expecting an important call- you get ignored and go to voice mail. Any time.
    Same rules for the doorbell.

Sales pitches and spam? You are contacting the wrong dude. And I wont hesitate to make people aware of it!

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.