1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is this sweet old guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by stankepanck, Jun 9, 2014.

1. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Matsumoku? Any Idea what it would have been branded? Check out the sweet binding. I stole it from my friend. Its been sitting in a closet for years. It was his (deceased) grandfathers guitar. It was in need of some love. I had to shim the neck and clean up the electronics. It gonna get a proper setup now. I will return it to him for his birthday (he doesnt know I have it). I'd like to tell him a bit more about it so any help would be wonderful. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Yes, Matsumoku. The neckplate is a dead giveaway, along with the body-shape. It appears to be a later variant of the 1202-5202 full hollowbody ranges. Unlike earlier 1202 versions, the 3-way switch is now located by the tone/volume controls and not on the lower horn. It still has the trapeze tailpiece and ubiquitous Japanese floating roller bridge from the pre-lawsuit manufacturing period.

As for brand names, a Matty could be labled as an Apollo, Aria, Barclay, Bruno, Burny, Capri, Columbus, Conqueror, Conrad, Cortez, Country, Crestwood, Cutler, Dia, Domino, Electra, Epiphone, Eros, Granada, Hi Lo, Howard, Ibanez, Lindberg, Lyle, Luxor, Mako, Maxitone, Mayfair, Memphis, Montclair, Orlando, Pan, Pearl, Raven, Stewart, Tempo, Toledo, Univox, Vantage, Ventura, Vision, Volhox, Washburn, Westbury, Westminster or Westone.

For some reason, people would take the nameplates off back then, especially if it were one of Matsumoku's off-brands. Based on the holes, your example must have had one of the longer nameplates between the posts.

The Matsumoku forum is kinda dead, but still has lots of good info if you dig around.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  3. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

I used to have one really similar to that that was an Orlando. Mine had the same two piece neck with the stripe, the same headstock and hardware, but mine had hum buckers. It didn't have that cool binding though, and the knobs didn't look as cool.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I had a similar one labeled Memphis, way back. My first decent electric guitar. Thanks for the memories.

5. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Thanks guys! I was hoping someone would recognize the screw hole positions for the name plate. Its a long shot I know. There could also be multiple different brands used on the same type of nameplate I would guess. It doesn't really matter anyway. I am just curious and it would be cool info to pass on. These P90's sound fretty friggin sweet!

6. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

That specific wording on the neckplate is kind of iconic to pre-lawsuit era Matsumoku-made guitars, no matter what brand was on the headstock.

7. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Hey thanks a ton guys! That factory sure did turn out some sweet instruments. Ive been playing bass in a cover band and this is my go to bass. Aria Pro II Precise Bass. Matsu made. Friggin awesome bass!

Attached Files:

8. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Nice bass . I had an electric guitar way back in the '70's , A Lyle .Bolt on neck ,nothing to brag about.I'm sure that I still have the neck and tuners to that guitar.The glue that held the body together just let go.I still have the p/u's and knobs to that thing.
    i throw away the body to that thing a year ago.

9. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

It looks a lot like an Aria I used to own, except for the unique pickguard shape. However, Arias did not have a screwed-on horizontal logo like this guitar might once have had.

Possibly a Univox also.

10. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar! What's nicer is you doing this for your friend, well played sir!

11. steveaustinchan

steveaustinchan NEW MEMBER!

Me too!

I just bought the exact same guitar and been going nuts trying to find the brand. The guitar shop where I bought it in San Antonio is staffed by Matsumoku nuts (it's called Robot Monster), and THEY can't figure it out. The binding is the big stumper. Great tone; big. I use it in a one man band setup.

12. diegomenesest

diegomenesest NEW MEMBER!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.