What is this instrumental song from my childhood?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by edvard, Sep 10, 2020.

1. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

YES, so many times. I just can't find it. I don't really know a year, I just know that it was rather popular on our small-town radio station around 1975-77 or so, and it sounded (to my very young ears) rather modern due to the drum sound. If you listen to a lot of recordings from around the turn of that decade, it seems like drum recording changed pretty dramatically in a short amount of time. I remember the end of the song in question featured a short drum vamp that sounded deep and "smucky" with a touch of reverb, very unlike many earlier '60s drum recordings.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I've done a bit more digging, and now I'm thinking the style of the piano playing was rather "Boogie-Woogie"-ish. I say "ish" because most (but not all) Boogie-Woogie tends to have a lot of swing, and this was more straight-ahead, but not so much that it veered into Rock territory; almost Jerry Lee Lewis flavored. On a whim, I looked up Jerry Lee Lewis's output in the late '60s - early '70s and there weren't any instrumentals. So close...

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Edvard: there was a terrific two-sided boogie-woogie single - piano and synths made to sound like a swing band - by Keith Emerson of Emerson Lake and Palmer, "Honky Tonk Train Blues" / "Barrelhouse Shakedown" around that time, check that one out?

Honky Tonk Train Blues:

Barrelhouse Shakedown:

edvard likes this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

edvard likes this.
  5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don’t think I saw this one mentioned. Sounds like it fits the bill.

edvard likes this.
  6. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Nope, neither of those, but very enjoyable. It's not often that I like to sit down and listen to piano music, but this quest has inspired a bit of a thirst. Thank you for those!

tubegeek likes this.
  7. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Nope, not that one either, but once again, very enjoyable. I dig Billy Joel every once in a while, maybe not often enough...

Engine Swap likes this.
  8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Nope, not that one either. I think it was suggested in an earlier response and I looked it up. Very nice, as always. I may have to make a playlist of "peyanner toonz" after this... :cool:

DonM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.