1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is this grain pattern on my maple neck?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Clickfiend, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Viceroy

Viceroy Tele-Meister

There is actually disagreement among sawyers and I have seen so-called quarter sawn scenarios described and rift sawn and vice versa. Between 60° and 90° is acceptable in the industry as quarter sawn. The proof is in the end product, how vertical is the grain? and are the medullary RAYS, not RINGS, showing?

Clickfiend likes this.
  2. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

That’s so cool. Thanks so much for all the info. I got the neck off ebay for less than a hundred bucks when I was doing a pretty much complete rebuild of my affinity tele. Serial makes it a 2014. I’ve always wondered about this cool pattern that kind of shifts in different light. The fit and finish are also awesome and it plays great. Rebuild consisted of the neck, USA vintage tuners, PV ‘64 PUPS, Fender control plate & knobs, CTS pots, OG 4 way switch, SC jack, and cloth wiring w/ treble bleed. It’s hard to put down.

It’s the butterscotch in the middle:
    8F1AF8FC-FBDB-4561-A09E-F90456BA9DDA.jpeg

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is this the same thing? It runs the length of the neck and I've always liked it.

upload_2020-9-23_19-2-51.jpeg

4. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Nice!!! Quartersawn necks are a treat!

Clickfiend likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess that is not the same as Tiger Stripe??

6. rmfrance

rmfrance TDPRI Member

My CV50s BB has exactly that grain pattern, which might not be as exotic-looking as bird's-eye or flamed maple, BUT I'm convinced that it's really stable and accounts to the natural sustain of mine. I regard it as a bonus.

7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Beautiful neck. Great discussion in this thread, learned a lot. Thanks for the information. Now I have to go look at my Fender necks. :D

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  8. Marblatx

Marblatx TDPRI Member

I've been wondering that myself. My SX has that same pattern.

9. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

Maybe, but probably not. What you're seeing is most likely what is called bees' wing. There's also a pattern called blister, and even a quilt. In some of the mahogany trees, the weight of the tree crushes the grain in the bole, leading to some really spectacular patterns, especially in the much denser Cuban mahogany. In general, the rays in mahogany are too small to see. If they are visible, then it's likely not not Honduras mahogany. The wood is quartersawn in the picture, but I think you're looking at wild grain, and not the rays, as evidenced by the fact that the appearance is more pronounced at the base of the headstock, but not in the rest of the neck or headstock.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

Offhand, I'd say it's called Sycamore. Those are the medullary rays, and the rays on maple are not as long on maple as they are on Sycamore. The rays on Sycamore tend to vary from a pattern they call lace to the pattern you see.

acVox and Boreas like this.
  11. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

That sure as heck looks like Sycamore to me. Quite typical of Sycamore, which is quite often quartersawn.

Boreas likes this.
  12. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

The main reason for quartersawing was that the stock was riven by wainwrights for wagon spokes, and they wanted to avoid the weakness of grain runout. Quartersawn wood for Les Paul necks is not really such a good idea, nor is the use of mahogany.

Boreas likes this.
  13. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

Wow, your JMJM neck is crazy flamey like mine. Is yours by chance a 2015?

14. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

Tiger stripe, in maple, is generally referred to as fiddleback, as seen on many Les Paul tops. Some people also call it a flame pattern.

Boreas likes this.
  15. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

There is no clearly defined industry any more, as the number of machines to mill lumber ever increases. In general, nobody pays much attention because nobody is making wooden wagon spokes. The main market for quartered lumber is architectural and furniture, so the prominence of the grain is what matters. As for riftsawn, in general that is for baluster grade lumber.

Boreas likes this.
  16. Broadcasted

Broadcasted TDPRI Member

here's a great video of a miller explaining how he gets the different types of cuts....he appears to be using "Flat Sawing" but can get Rift, Quarter and Flat sawn pieces....

I know that both Rift and Quartersawn are "premium" pieces of lumber but is Quartersawn the best for guitar necks?....Most Fender masterbuilts i see have Quartersawn while the team builds list rift.....would that be an accurate assessment....that Quartersawn is a "step up" from rift?...or is it vice versa...that rift is actually more desirable?

17. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

Necking. I never get tired of it!

18. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Probably depends on who you ask. Here is a quote from John Suhr:

“Maple has diffuse pores in its grain structure, so as far as stability is concerned, it does not have more flex in one direction over another. Most vintage instruments were Flat Sawn, simply because of the availability of wood in the ’50s and ’60s. A byproduct of this is there are plenty of people who feel Flat Sawn sounds better or feels better than Quarter Sawn. There are also people who feel that Quarter Sawn is punchier, and some companies are praised for using straight Quarter Sawn lumber on their necks. My opinion after building guitars for 40 years is there is basically zero difference. Quarter Sawn has a slight advantage in that it is more dimensionally stable in the width direction. However, we dry our wood very carefully so this is not an issue. With roasted maple, none of it matters. Flat Sawn will also show more figuring on the side of the neck if it is for instance flame maple. Some builders exclusively use Flat Sawn, and others only use Quarter Sawn. Since I have no opinion that one is better than the other, we have decided to now offer both options on Custom builds.”
    https://www.suhr.com/quarter-sawn-vs-flat-sawn-maple-necks/

19. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Those are tone lines bro...that’s where the tone in tone woods resides.

20. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

It's probably the most stable of the grain orientations on a neck, but I kind of dislike that appearance on maple, god forbid on a spruce soundboard.

unnamed (2).jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.