What is this circuit gonna sound like?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tfarny, Nov 13, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This is an offering from Ceriatone, which for the unfamiliar turns out handwired tube amps in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. He calls it the "Prinzetone" and describes it as a BF Princeton with some more meat and with some tweed-ability.

http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Prinzetone-15092016.jpg

I get the "tonestack defeat" part and the NFB control - anything else you see that is different from a regular princeton? Any predictions on how this would sound given typical tubes, cab and speakers?

I have no doubts about the build quality and service, just wondering about buying an amp I will not be able to hear in person and don't have a recording to reference.

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I built a Princeton Reverb earlier this year - scratch build, not this one - and the NFB switch went stock, '68 Custom level, and the 3rd went a few thousand ohms beyond that. The NFB made a really big difference in the output volume, breakup, and brightness. Beyond the '68 Custom level was really too bright & a bit harsh, but I left it for an option.

No experience with Ceriatone though.

King Fan likes this.
  3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

IIRC Ceriatone used to say the Prinzetone sorta switched from blackface and brownface tones. Now they say the tone stack and NFB mods will make "the breakup and frequently response ... decidedly more 'tweed' in nature." They may have changed the circuit over time.

The stock amp should sound super if it's like a PR without the reverb. I built a vintage-spec PR clone -- astonishing tone. I didn't go over this circuit to see how vintage-spec it is.

I built mine with a 'raw' knob that can dial out the tone stack and an NFB switch at 3 levels somewhat like Jason's. For my $.02 these aren't amazing mods -- the amp gets louder, more mid/bass heavy, more raw, overdriven, noisy, etc., but not really all that brownface *or* tweed in 'character.'

What are you looking for here? Personally, a straight PR clone would appeal to me more, and if I wanted a more versatile, more meaty PR I might look at the superb Allen Amps 'Sweet Spot.'

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Hmm, that's a great question. I guess I'm looking for a Deluxe-more-or-less that could do a gainier and more midrangey sound when pressed. That's about the output level and size I am looking for. I can make my own cab and I have speakers, so getting one of these is pretty comparable to the price of a used DRRI.
    I'm not going to get a "real" Princeton because I don't want to have to push an amp that hard to attain basic gig volumes. I imagine this is rated 15-17 watts because it has a bigger OT than a Princeton, and I would probably go 2x10 on the speakers.

King Fan likes this.
  5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

The one I built used a 100mA PT and a 12" speaker. That thing got WAY louder than I ever gigged with. Even with an 8k 15 watt OT. I love Hammond transformers. I really think the bigger PT goes miles with a Princeton. 290AX and 290CAX are drop in and rated for 100mA and 115mA. Swap to a 6.6k Deluxe OT and an efficient speaker and it will peel paint. Around $100-110 probably for both transformers.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Thank you for this,but it exceeds my knowledge level by about 100kMvdas. I am just not going to learn amp teching / building as another hobby at this point in my life. Mostly a question of time and also a question of personal preference (if I did have more time I would do more woodworking).
    I can solder, so if I have the part #s to order and it fits the holes I would give it a shot, otherwise I'm looking at buy the "completed working chassis" dropping in tubes I own, and making a nice cab. And I would be cool with that - or I might just not buy anything, or I might buy something used off of Clist like an AC15. I feel like I have my "three amps" that can fill my needs quite well - Yamaha THR10 for quiet practice, Roland Blues Cube for loud practice, portable gigging, and fun rehearsals, and '69 Super Reverb for holy grail gig tones. So a fourth amp is a bonus play - should be fun, different from what I have, giggable, and nothing too crazy priced. Ceriatone also makes a 5f4 circuit that's pretty appealing...

7. FlatNine

FlatNine TDPRI Member

I've had many Blackfaces (BF), both boutique and Fender. My most recent one was the Fender 64 Deluxe handwired version. So I am familiar with all of them. Your description says "could do a gainier and more midrangey sound when pressed". You are describing the Tweed profile. A BF has a midrange scoop, while a tweed does not. The BF's were designed to NOT break up since breakup was considered bad in the day, so the BF's replaced the tweeds. I have a Tungsten Crema Wheat which is essentially a 57 Tweed Deluxe and for blues, especially with a Tele, there's nothing better IMO. I do use a Source Audio reverb pedal for just a touch of wetness though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.