1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is this? Blush?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ripthorn, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I am spraying a body gloss black and am at the clearcoat stage. I am seeing an effect in the clear that I am not sure what it is. I don't think it's blush because it's not cloudy, but it is an effect that can only be seen in certain angles. I have a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with the mix of lacquer to thinner that I'm using (right around 50/50). It seems to have an almost multicolor thing going on. I would like to get rid of it, but need to know what it is first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can see blush from all angles, so it's doubtful it's that. But just to be sure, give it a couple of days in air-conditioned space and see if it goes away. Plan B would be to spray it with Behlen's Blush Eraser.

3. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

It's pretty hard to tell from those pics, and this may be far left of center, but...

There actually is no color black.
    The color black as made by paint suppliers is a mixture of other colors blended together.
    Blue is the primary/majority color in making most black paints.
    Piano black, supposedly the blackest of black, adds more orange so you don't get that blue hue that you can see in a lot of black paints.
    Maybe you're seeing in the reflection the prismatic effect of black paint broken down into it's primary color makeup.

4. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

If you don't have a dedicated blush eraser product, you could also try misting with plain reducer, or a mix of reducer and retarder.

5. telechadster

telechadster Tele-Meister

I noticed a similar issue when I shot one of my clear coats over sonic blue. I stopped and left it for about a week and it went away. I assumed it was blush........

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I had some legitimate blushing on the front on Saturday. I gave it a couple mist coats of thinner and the blush went away and now I don't see this issue on the front (back remains unchanged), but I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that the sheen is rather different (like there is some kind of residue or something). I do need some retarder for spraying in this weather, so hopefully that will get me squared away.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.