1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the worst, or most disliked, song you have had to play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Oct 2, 2020.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much most of the songs the other guitar player wrote in the band I was in kinda off and on and quit for good not too long ago. It was like weird Rob Zombie/Marilyn Manson/goth glam minor key stuff. I'm exaggerating a bit, but my songs sound absolutely nothing like that, so it made for a weird mix that the singer tried to convince everyone was a good idea.

2. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I played in a couple of country rock bands, though not really into country rock..both bands were looking for a guitar player at short notice, and I jumped in. I remember "Friends in Low Places" as being really boring after a year of playing it at many gigs.

3. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I truly liked The Weight and then, around here, it became the new “Wagon Wheel” and now I can’t take either. I liked the lyrics, story and melody of both, but talk about pounded into the ground. While I’m at it: Folsom Prison, same thing. Especially after Johnny Cash died, it was like he’d never written other songs!

Bob M, Peegoo and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 TDPRI Member

20+ years of playing in an Irish pub band. Danny Boy is requested at every show. We've done it exactly once. That was one too many times. :twisted:

5. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

I played in my dad's band in the late 90s for a time. Plenty of songs I hated playing, but if I had to pick just one, it would probably be "Cocaine".

6. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I have one more.... "Born to be wild"

I LOVED that song, but had to play it sooo many times at every motorbike, Harley, moto club whatever motorbike related that I am starting to hate playing it

bromdenlong and Cali Dude like this.
  7. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I feel lucky that when the group would morph into a cover outfit we'd just play songs we liked, so I never had that wincing feeling.

My brother has a cover band and if I'm in Spain I sometimes join them. The piano player is exceptionally good but it requires deference to piano pieces like Billy Joel - now I know how many of you feel. I just play maracas or leave the stage for those bits.

I had to look up "Wagon Wheel". I'd never heard of it.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

None. If we didn't all like it, or felt that we couldn't play our part adequately we 'd just drop it from the set list.

bromdenlong likes this.
  9. Aldus Bunbury

Aldus Bunbury TDPRI Member

Good Riddance. I didn’t much like it the first time, and it never did grow on me. In fact, all things Green Day now leave a bad aftertaste.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love the Ray Charles/Humble Pie tune, Hallelujah I Just Love Her So.
    I love both versions.
    The Leonard Cohen song, Hallelujah, not so much.
    I’ve played the Humble Pie version HIJLHS since I was a junior in high school.
    Mt high school garage band nailed it, we had “ringer-singer”.
    He was an old guy, 21.
    Whenever the LC song gets requested, I play the RC/HP song.
    It’s fun to play and sing.

OlRedNeckHippy and Harry Styron like this.
  11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Nothing that some good vocals can't fix, this one's worth playing till the end..

12. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Frankly there isn't any tune that sticks out. All songs/tunes: If repeated many times enough, they will sooner or later turn out a drag. When you're a professional, which don't have to play audience requests, you can skip a song after a while when it becomes a dread. But as it is, if a top 40 cover band, singles, songs comes and goes after that list. You get fatigued, and the inspiration passion is gone. I get tired of any song sooner or later no matter how good it is.

When this happened to "wedding" or easy listening type of songs, I tried to poke fun at it, and joke around, make a parody of it, but keeping the fine line so that I didn't butchered it totally. On guitar that meant to do small fills and "quotes" from other licks, from other songs, that only the other members of the band giggled at, and had a sly smile on stage with. On old jazzy tunes, big band tunes, there's enough improvisations in the solos to get by, but I never played - say - trash metal solos - to "In The Mood" by Glenn Miller or ABBA tunes.

Like a "simple" tune like "Sweet Home Alabama" and the like, my frustrations comes when the band doesn't want to walk that extra mile, to take a simple song like that into something interesting. No cover band I've heard ever, knows how to play the intro right, and the guitar lines that underpins the verses. The intro is only played once, but yet people plays that intro again, during the refrain, choruses, solos. The man who wrote it, Ed King, acknowledges this, and he's - too - never heard anyone else played that tune even remotely right. There's an intertwining guitar line, between 3 guitarists, that needs to be sorted out, and play between members, and you have to stay a bit "note-for-note" on that one otherwise it turns into a mess. No one I know of wants to work that hard on it.

So by and large, song's that's worst, and disliked, are songs that are supposed to be played in another way, but when fellow musicians couldn't care less. And yet they urge that we should play it anyway, when they/we pull it off properly. Even if the song suggestion came from the other ones in the first place. BTW "Wagon Wheel" is almost unheard of in Sweden, and not played at all by any cover bands. It's mostly "Creedence" around here...

That said, the worst song would be "sweet home alabama" played half assed, wing-it kind of style. It wouldn't be a worst song if played correctly.

ElJay370 and Thinliner like this.
  13. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Cab Driver and Tiny Bubbles....UGH!!

Ronzo and Cali Dude like this.
  14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The Weight.

:(

15. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

'Hero' by Enrique Iglesias. A cringeworthy wedding routine...a ballet type dance, danced by the bride and groom on a lawn behind where I'd set up so I had my back to everyone while singing it ! I've since watched it on Yooo Toooob and I broke out in a cold sweat watching it...thank god you can't see me in it !

Cali Dude likes this.
  16. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Anything by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

smartsoul72 and Cali Dude like this.
  17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

"I Knew The Bride" and "Crazy". These too have been over-requested and far too over-played as well over the years.

18. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Talking heads..........hate'm

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’ve found an ally, not many of us out there!

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

With you on feelings, a total bloody dirge!

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.