What Is The Telecaster Sound?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, May 19, 2019.

1. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

Apparently, it was recorded on an SG that was there. Although, on the '72 tour he always played it on a Strat. Mr Richards plays a Tele a lot of the time, but in the studio, he used everything.

Tele sound? Look up Hanging Around by the Stranglers.

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

LOL, if that's true, I'm just a credulous old bint

I stand by the Brent stuff and country tele, which God willing was actually played on a freaking tele

but I'm partial to the compressed tele sound -- everything else can be mucked with

except for Strats, which always sound thin

: )

that's why God invented boost pedals

3. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

Dear Credulous Old Bint,

Yep, I too raised my eyebrows. I was going to say 'who knows', but apparently, the engineers at Muscle Shoals said this. But, let's face it, I wasn't there, only recounting a tale.

But, I stand by my Stranglers bit. How I love that sound. Forty years on, I'm still copying it.

4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Don Rich and Buck Owens

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

...+1...Digi if you hang out here for a while you'll get what alot of the members are saying in this thread. My 2 cents...Go back and listen to Robbie Robertson on the first 2 The Band albums (Big Pink and the Brown one). That's what I recall as my first conscious recognition of a Tele sound.

6. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Tele sound is "plink plink" and caused by body shape, neck join, bridge plate, saddles, pickups ...all of which are unique from the others.

7. Hear2learn

Hear2learn TDPRI Member

It's the sound of the electric guitar, done right. (my 2¢)

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

thanks for that, my cousin liked them but I never got around to listening till now

they sound like a looser and punker version of The Cars, but still precise -- I like it

once you toss grit into the mix, I find it hard to tell tele's apart from other guitars

definitely single-coil sound there, though

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in teen years I didn't know too much about guitars, apart from the shapes, brand names, brands on gear bands used, etc... guys used what they used, to make music.... we listened to radio/records back then...

There were many different tones to guitar... from clear and sharp to warm and fuzzy... we liked it all... however we played on acoustics and no one had electric gear we could mess with at the time to get any real understanding about pickup types, etc......

though, there was one guitar sound that stood out, kinda different to the rest ... it was a brash, tortured, bright sound that went through you ...it sounded dangerous, like a wild animal leaping out at you ....:eek::cool::)

it was early PF, Syd Barrett's guitar... it was what it was then... it was only decades later and being more guitar aware, seeing more pics, etc.. that I saw the Telecaster.... and it all made sense...mmmkkk..

certainly now, as I'm playing them mostly....:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.