What is the power handling of this speaker?

5595bassman

Tele-Holic
Somebody can tell what is the power handling of this specific Peavey (made by Eminence) Blue Marvel No. 70777199 4 Ohms speaker?

1652462030372.png

I would also like to know what amplifier's or cabinet's model it was part of?

Thanks!

5595bassman

Tele-Holic

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
12 inch Speaker??? Might be this one...

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
You could always email Eminence, but yeah, looks like the one posted above. Probably the same exact speaker as the blue-label 75W Fender-branded 12s that came in so many of the 90s-era SS amps.

5595bassman

Tele-Holic
12 inch Speaker??? Might be this one...

I think it is the one. Same number on the magnet, but not in the title???

1652468212588.png

Last edited:

5595bassman

Tele-Holic

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
So it appears the 1238 was used in both tube and SS amps. The Classic 30 used a 16 Ohm version and the Classic 50 used an 8 Ohm(?) version.

A friend has a Classic30 with the Blue Marvel 16 Ohm. He likes the amp.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Used to be (as of a few months ago) that you could pull the Eminence number off the speaker label (under the rubber ring), but I just went to get the page reference for you where they have the address, and they've reworked the web site. Now, under the FAQ section, it says that if it's OEM you should contact the OEM (Peavey). This reeks of Corporate dictated idiocy at Eminence.

You could still try emailing the: [email protected] . I'm hoping they haven't fired those guys. They were great.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
omebody can tell what is the power handling of this specific Peavey (made by Eminence) Blue Marvel No. 70777199 4 Ohms speaker?
Be aware that while 75 watts may have been the power handling when new, a 35 year old speaker will have lost about a third of its power handling per the late Ted Weber.

So if it was made in (roughly - I didn't check the code number that closely) 1977 its power handling would be about 50 watts rms.

50 watts rms is 50 watts of power with a clean sine wave signal, normally averaging the frequencies guitar amps produce.

"Clean" is the sticking point - introduce distortion and power handling is reduced dramatically - example: take a sine wave signal at a single frequency - it;s a nice, even up and down wave over a center line. Stretch it out *flat* - that's a very general representation of rms power handling.

But take a rough, jagged waveform - that's what distortion produces. Stretch THAT wave out and it may reach 150%-200% the length of the sine wave.

So if you use distortion you need to factor that into speaker usage. For players that always dial some "dirt" into their playing I normally recommend taking the RMS power handling and doubling it.

This is just a VERY general representation of how it works - except for what I've recommended/installed over the years, which has prevented blown speakers.

But a good example is JBL advertising their speakers as "100 watt power" speakers for many years - their design engineer was on audiophile and pro sound forums constantly explaining that they handled only 60 watts RMS when new!

Yet they were being installed in 1x12", 100 watt Mesa Boogies and blowing like mad!

So just a caution - understand EXACTLY what the manufacture is using as their baseline for power handling, what you'll be playing through the speaker - and how old it is.

Hope that's helpful.