What is the point of buying a vinyl in 2019 ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thin white duke, Nov 13, 2019.

1. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

Oh, I noticed.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

'Cause I like music.

3. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I can't remember the last CD I bought, never mind vinyl.
    I still have all my old vinyl but my record player is packed away. I also have hundreds of CD's I never play.
    If I was going to buy a new album it would be on CD.
    I only play music in the car, and the stylus would slide across the record when I took a corner. :eek:

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Pink Floyd-Dark side of the moon

joealso likes this.
  5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Why do you have vinyl asks the man that has none . The only thing better than vinyl is live music .

joealso likes this.
  6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

I unloaded all my viynilyil years ago, and all my CD's are long gone too. I miss album cover art though.

CD's went when they just became a clumsy medium for storing 1's and 0's, and the vinyl went as soon as I admitted to myself that I could no longer hear any difference (apart from the lack of induced harmonic distortion and noise)

I used to have guitar amplifiers full of hot, glowing bottles. Now my guitar amplifiers are full of digital business. I can't really tell the difference much any more.

Full disclose - I worked for many years in the wacky world of high-end audio. I has a pretty serious hi-fi, including top line turntable/cartridge etc. In the early days of CD, they couldn't compete. Analogue source ruled. Then digital source started to catch up, at which point the company I worked for started development of a CD player. The company is still going, they still make turntables as well as CD players. I am still bound by NDA's I signed with this company.

7. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You know that bunch of folks below the age of 25 who haven't blown their ears out yet.

aging_rocker likes this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To answer that question you need to hook up with someone who has some better grade audio gear with a turntable and listen. Many folks feel that the analog recording process used for vinyl renders a sound truer to the original voice or instrument that was recorded than digital recordings. My experience is that it does however some of the newer, higher resolution digital recordings are really improving.

9. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Vinyl is still quite often mixed differently, sounds warmer and more open with a wider soundstage with more seperation. I guess they are still mixed with people who have large HIFI speakers in mind where most digital stuff is over compressed to sound big over low bandwidth bluetooth via in ear buds. I still like digital in the car, would be funny if someone had a turntable in their Bentley Brooklands or something similarly luxurious.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Mine too.:):)

11. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

I buy records still to play in my office at work. i really just like the big jackets.

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Why new? I can easily find unscratched used LPs for as little as a dollar. So price is a big reason. And my turntable sounds so damn good it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

And science favors vinyl. CDs are engineered to cut out the lowest frequencies. And MP3s? You've got to be kidding.

LPs go much lower than CDs. You might not hear the difference, but you feel the music much more with an LP than a CD. (Subwoofers replace a lot of the lows, of course, but I don't feel like buying one.)

And the mass-market recorded medium with the very lowest lows is the good old forty-five. The music comes right up through your feet. Which is why they're so easy to dance to.

idjster and Greggorios like this.
  13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

On general principle I object to digital recordings on vinyl. But these days many times the vinyl version can be much better than the CD (or the download or the streaming...) 'cause of "Loudness Wars". I hate overly-compressed music. Gives me a headache.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I know a white collar guy who had a $40,000 stereo system installed in his office.

No joke.

His office.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  15. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

I like durable media. Cloud is for the birds! LOL!

You are right, most of what you see in box stores is digital, however, they are, for the most part, hi-res digital pressings. Gotta be careful though, hard to know what you are buying unless you know. There are a lot of CD transfer pressings out there too and they don't get better on vinyl that's for sure. I prefer buying used records that are indeed analog pressings of music I love. Also, no remixes by some bearded, console happy hipster doofus. I like to get as close to the original release as possible. When the band, producer and record execs were all smoking the same dirt weed.

black_doug likes this.
  16. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

E1FD0686-764A-4AC0-96B5-39140DF14F2C.jpeg
    Suitable for framing!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I buy vinyl for things I really love and that are important to me. I like the commitment.

The way I consume digital (broadly speaking) music and vinyl is different. As an adjunct, the vinyl experience ends up sounding better. But not because I think vinyl sounds inherently better.

So digital music is the soundtrack to life. Driving, working, cooking, cleaning, whatever. There is music streaming. Usually through small computer or bookshelf speakers. It sounds fine to me. And affords the ability to have music available whenever I want. I value that highly because my life has a soundtrack.

Vinyl is when I want to sit down and listen. Usually through decent headphones. Because I'm focusing, and have decent headphones (creating a nice stereo experience) or through larger speakers optimized for the listening chair, the vinyl experience ends up sounding better. It's also a pain to skip around on a record so I just commit and listen the the side (both if I have time).

I value both equally, for different reasons. I suppose if I had more self-discipline, I wouldn't need vinyl. But I don't have that self-discipline. And I enjoy the ritual as part of the experience.

Does that make me affected or a hipster? I doubt it? But I don't really care.

18. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

I wish that MiniDiscs had happened instead of CDs.

But I exclusively buy vinyl or stream via services these days. Haven't bought a CD in probably 10+ years.

19. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

It makes me listen to different music because 1. I look at the whole album and 2. I will buy records just for the unique fidelity.

20. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.