What is the oldest Coffee you've ever drank.

Ragin Cajun

Tele-Holic
To put an end to this exiting tome:

My wife was in the kitchen as I was measuring out the coffee in question to brew a cup of coffee. When I smelled of it this morning, it didn't smell very good. She asked; What are you doing Mr. Goofus? I said making a cup of this 25-year-old coffee. She went over to the pantry and pulled out a brand-new unopened tin of Folgers Classic Roast and asked; Why don't you use this? She said if you're off on one of your sentimental kicks, I can use the old coffee on one of my flower beds and it won't be wasted. Since history has proven my wife is ALWAYS right, I think I'm going to follow her advice.

I have a wife like that.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
My logic for finally deciding against trying the coffee, well mostly it was because my wife's logic usually can't be faulted was the age of the coffee, and it being partially used. Since I have plenty of coffee, there is nothing to be gained, and quite a bit to be lost if I were to ingest a large helping of mold, or some other bacteria that has been living unmolested in the can for the past twenty-five or so years.

That is very sensible and I agree with the logic, but it's still somewhat disappointing!:D

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
TD, far be it from me to give advice to a feller who's been through so much in life, but

"Kicked the bucket after drinking coffee that his departed son gave him 25 years ago" is an epitaph that would firmly ensconce you in the TDPRI Pantheon for eternity. Songs would be written!

I'm just sayin there's an upside to consider

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
TD, far be it from me to give advice to a feller who's been through so much in life, but

"Kicked the bucket after drinking coffee that his departed son gave him 25 years ago" is an epitaph that would firmly ensconce you in the TDPRI Pantheon for eternity. Songs would be written!

I know that fame was right there, waiting for me to claim it. I was found wanting in the lurch that would have catapulted me into a position not many attain.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
There are videos of guys eating mre's and ration meals from older wars. Dude drank some coffee from WW2. I think he's still alive. Hm?

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
it wasn't the fame for me... it was the shot at a super power!

with great power comes great responsibility; I'd prolly pass too

power.png

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Okay, we were putting up a new thermometer on the porch, and somehow came across a can of coffee my son gave me, I have no idea of how long ago. I also have no idea how the two events became related. We're not talking a few months, or even a few years here. I know I drank some of it, because it's more than half gone, but it's been so long ago, I have no recollection of when. I know it came from my son, because the little gift card thingy is still on the can, but no date. My question is, can I still drink it, will it poison me, or just not taste as it did years ago?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm hopelessly sentimental about ANYTHING my kids give me, and don't want to waste it if I don't have to. (My favorite coffee cup is one my daughter gave me for Father's Day in 1995.)
Folgers 1850.

I guess it must be"New Old Stock".

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I never liked coffee until I was force to drink it by a doctor. Not a joke. I got a sinus infection that turned into a throat and lung infection and was restricted to hot black coffee or tea or water to drink.

Crations.jpg

Around 1972 I had the opportunity to dine on "Meals, Combat, Individual ration" (MCIs). At that point they were still called "C-Rats" or "C-Rations." The instant coffee came in the accessory pack. Some of them seemed to be old enough to have been packaged up when the type was introduced in 1958. Sitting with your back against a tree with the canned pound cake and cup of joe, no matter how old, was the definition of relaxation.

I saved the P-38 can opener from my last meal for fun and still have it.

Bob

I loved C-rations when I was in the Army, I hated, HATED it when they were replaced with MREs. We used to heat the C-Rations up with burning sheets of C-4 from Four-Deuce rounds.

Last edited:

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I loved C-rations when I was in the Army, I hated, HATED it when they were replaced with MREs. We used to heat the C-Rations up with burning sheets of C-4 from Four-Deuce rounds.
Unless you got stuck with ham& moth3rfrkrs(lima beans), or that canned sponge egg.

bromdenlong

Tele-Meister
I was in the navy and stationed in Orlando in 1983. The coffee in the mess hall freezers was backed up for at least several years, or so I was told by a guy who worked there. Combined with Orlando tap water that smelled like rotten eggs, it made the worst coffee I ever tasted.

As an electrician on the USS Okinawa LPH-3, I was told to see why the big coffeemaker in the enlisted mess wasn't working. While inspecting it, I found that the hot water tank (for tea, hot chocolate or whatever) had mineral deposits about 4 or 5 inches thick at the bottom. It had probably never been cleaned or even looked at in 20 years or more of daily use. Amazingly enough, they replaced it.

I stopped drinking coffee because after breakfast, ALL the enlisted heads on the whole ship were closed for cleaning until about lunchtime. I got tired of furtively using those fire hose fittings used for pumping flood water overboard - whatever they are called.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity

Yea, but just think of how legendary TD would be if he drank it now! The songs hook could be “He made New Years coffee from the flowerbed soil, now he’s pushing up daisies..off this mortal coil… ”
There is still a chance at immortality here TD, I think you know what you need to do….

Last edited: