What is the oldest Coffee you've ever drank.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Throw the coffee out and keep the can.

That's the direction I'm leaning after sleeping on it. It's a decorative can with the greeting still attached. I could just fill the can with fresh coffee and be done with it. It's not like I didn't drink some of it anyway, since about half the coffee has been used.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I remember not long ago seeing a guy on TV who had a tinned chicken he found in his house from the 1939, he opened it, ate it and lived to tell the tale. I am sure if the coffee is sealed it will be ok.

It's not sealed, its just been in a small can with the lid on it.

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
I have never even had a sip of coffee in my entire life.

My parents like the stuff, but as a small child I didn't like the smell, so I have never tried it.

I don't think I'm missing much.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
It's not sealed, its just been in a small can with the lid on it.
most coffee has microscopic mold on it unless it has been pasteurized within an inch of its potable life

mold grows

but we tempt fate, we are made for the stars, and Mom can't hear us

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I never liked coffee until I was force to drink it by a doctor. Not a joke. I got a sinus infection that turned into a throat and lung infection and was restricted to hot black coffee or tea or water to drink.

Crations.jpg

Around 1972 I had the opportunity to dine on "Meals, Combat, Individual ration" (MCIs). At that point they were still called "C-Rats" or "C-Rations." The instant coffee came in the accessory pack. Some of them seemed to be old enough to have been packaged up when the type was introduced in 1958. Sitting with your back against a tree with the canned pound cake and cup of joe, no matter how old, was the definition of relaxation.

I saved the P-38 can opener from my last meal for fun and still have it.

Bob

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I went to visit my mother ( I miss her dearly) time would be about 4:00 PM and she says," Would you like a Lovely cup of coffee ?" in her most beautiful scottish accent , to which no one could say ,"no" . I'm a fool I said "yes" about 5 minutes later she returns with coffee for Ms24 and Myself , unbeknownst to me, My mother had taken the morning coffee left in the pot and re-ran it through her coffee maker with the original filter in and adding 2 more scoops of fresh coffee to said filter , the formula for human rocket fuel had been discovered , Ms 24 chased my mothers Cat around the appartment for over 2 hrs , I being a good son sat on the couch and vibrated to almost the speed of light or to the point of spontanious combustion , I know this because time almost stood still as the world moved around me , prooving Einstein's theories.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I went to visit my mother ( I miss her dearly) time would be about 4:00 PM and she says," Would you like a Lovely cup of coffee ?" in her most beautiful scottish accent , to which no one could say ,"no" . I'm a fool I said "yes" about 5 minutes later she returns with coffee for Ms24 and Myself , unbeknownst to me, My mother had taken the morning coffee left in the pot and re-ran it through her coffee maker with the original filter in and adding 2 more scoops of fresh coffee to said filter , the formula for human rocket fuel had been discovered , Ms 24 chased my mothers Cat around the appartment for over 2 hrs , I being a good son sat on the couch and vibrated to almost the speed of light or to the point of spontanious combustion , I know this because time almost stood still as the world moved around me , prooving Einstein's theories.

Your story reminded me of a black and white movie I saw long ago. A man and his son went to visit an old lady, and she fixed them both up with a bowl of porridge and the little boy was looking at a small frog that was in his bowl.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
To put an end to this exiting tome:

My wife was in the kitchen as I was measuring out the coffee in question to brew a cup of coffee. When I smelled of it this morning, it didn't smell very good. She asked; What are you doing Mr. Goofus? I said making a cup of this 25-year-old coffee. She went over to the pantry and pulled out a brand-new unopened tin of Folgers Classic Roast and asked; Why don't you use this? She said if you're off on one of your sentimental kicks, I can use the old coffee on one of my flower beds and it won't be wasted. Since history has proven my wife is ALWAYS right, I think I'm going to follow her advice.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I never liked coffee until I was force to drink it by a doctor. Not a joke. I got a sinus infection that turned into a throat and lung infection and was restricted to hot black coffee or tea or water to drink.

Crations.jpg

Around 1972 I had the opportunity to dine on "Meals, Combat, Individual ration" (MCIs). At that point they were still called "C-Rats" or "C-Rations." The instant coffee came in the accessory pack. Some of them seemed to be old enough to have been packaged up when the type was introduced in 1958. Sitting with your back against a tree with the canned pound cake and cup of joe, no matter how old, was the definition of relaxation.

I saved the P-38 can opener from my last meal for fun and still have it.

Bob
My first cigarettes, I was 11 ( a 4 pack of maybe Lucky Strikes or Pall Mall) came out of a C- Rations pack in 1969.
I was a govt. Brat, my dad was State Department- we were overseas often, and we had C-rations in our closet for emergency ( political)
My buddy and I opened up a kit, found the cigarettes!
* the can opener was cool!

beep.click

Poster Extraordinaire

So currently this is my FAVORITE post in all of TDPRI.

beep.click

Poster Extraordinaire
A few weeks back, I cooked up a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup. 10+ years old, the kind where you have to add a can of water.

I would defy anyone to tell the difference from a can bought yesterday.

As for coffee, I'm a 24/7 man with low, low standards. I would choose 25-year-old real coffee every time over something TRULY foul, like "hazelnut flavored" or whatever toxic frufru nonsense they put into those "k-cup" abominations.

I do draw the line at coffee and other foodstuffs containing life forms, in particular from the mold/fungi families. Except for bleu cheese, of course.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A few weeks back, I cooked up a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup. 10+ years old, the kind where you have to add a can of water.

I would defy anyone to tell the difference from a can bought yesterday.

As for coffee, I'm a 24/7 man with low, low standards. I would choose 25-year-old real coffee every time over something TRULY foul, like "hazelnut flavored" or whatever toxic frufru nonsense they put into those "k-cup" abominations.

I do draw the line at coffee and other foodstuffs containing life forms, in particular from the mold/fungi families. Except for bleu cheese, of course.

I have been using a Keurig K-cup machine since it was gifted to me around eight years ago. I like the convenience. I find nothing at all wrong with the taste, but then, I'm not much particular about coffee. The reason I was asking about the coffee is that I was going to use it, or some kind of coffee in a couple of K-Cup adapters I was given at the same time. The only kick I have with the Keurig is it's expensive the cups are about fifty cents apiece. Or fifty since a cup for coffee.

I will probably just end up going back to a regular coffee brewing pot. After fussing with that for a while, I can then go back to using the Keurig just as I have for eight years. I'm the only one here who drinks coffee, and it's quite convenient to use the Keurig.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
To put an end to this exiting tome:

My wife was in the kitchen as I was measuring out the coffee in question to brew a cup of coffee. When I smelled of it this morning, it didn't smell very good. She asked; What are you doing Mr. Goofus? I said making a cup of this 25-year-old coffee. She went over to the pantry and pulled out a brand-new unopened tin of Folgers Classic Roast and asked; Why don't you use this? She said if you're off on one of your sentimental kicks, I can use the old coffee on one of my flower beds and it won't be wasted. Since history has proven my wife is ALWAYS right, I think I'm going to follow her advice.

Bah! What a wind up! I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for you to try it! :D

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have never even had a sip of coffee in my entire life.

My parents like the stuff, but as a small child I didn't like the smell, so I have never tried it.

I don't think I'm missing much.

I hope for your sake coffee is the only guilty pleasure you haven't tried in life. :D

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My logic for finally deciding against trying the coffee, well mostly it was because my wife's logic usually can't be faulted was the age of the coffee, and it being partially used. Since I have plenty of coffee, there is nothing to be gained, and quite a bit to be lost if I were to ingest a large helping of mold, or some other bacteria that has been living unmolested in the can for the past twenty-five or so years.