What is the oldest Coffee you've ever drank.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
as we age, that hot, older teutonic thing kinda becomes a thing. I'd love to taste her lefse!

I'm married to Isolde. Her mom was Ilse. I'm pretty sure I've told the meeting her folks story - her mom mowing lawn in bikini while her dad in lederhosen was enjoying a beer, cigar and the newspaper.

I'm still biting tongue on some less than stellar coffee comments.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
In the 50s, my Mom and eldest brother would collect WWII survival ration tins that washed ashore (NAS Whidbey). When I was a Boy Scout (late 60s), we opened the last few. My Dad made coffee from the tin of coffee that was in there and pronounced it good. The chocolate was terrible and nobody would open the tins of meat..

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
In 1998, I was on an island in an Ontario river, camping for a week or so with then-fiancee/now-ex-wife #2. During our long-ago happy times daze.

We arrived late at night, proud to have found it in the fog, celebrating with a nice sip of whiskey, etc. In the morning, while the coffee tasted okay, I noticed a worsening I-need-caffeine headache. By noon I was in real pain. By late afternoon, the world was blinking too damn loud. Then I flashed back to when we'd loaded up supplies. The green Kroger coffee can meant that I had grabbed the caffeine-free crap instead of the real stuff. (We had put everything in light and tight containers, as we faced a long portage, so the can was not with us.)

Uh-oh. I was, and am, about a five-cup-a-day Joe. And I certainly didn't want to be in heaven with a demonic headache. Extra-strong tea wasn't cutting it, either.

Then I remembered: Down the river just a mile or so, back in the woods, was an old half-burned-down trapper's shack. We canoed and clambered to it and, sure enough, there was a half-melted big plastic jar of instant coffee amid the wreckage. Rain and snow had gotten into the jar, so it was one big coal-looking crystal. We took it back to our island, I hacked off a hunk and melted/crushed that in a cup of scalding water, and voila! Le caffeine is a-flowin'! Heaven regained.

My fiancee, though a dedicated coffee drinker, wouldn't touch the stuff. It did taste kinda tarry, but what the hell. It WORKED. In fact, each cup seemed a triumph. MacGyver got nothin' on me!

The jar didn't have any price code on it. Just a Loblaw's sticker saying, I think, $1.29. So I'm guessing it was from the early '80s, or earlier. So let's say a 19-yr.-old jar of molded coffee. It's still there, assuming the bears didn't dig it up, as I stashed it on the island as backup. It will probably outlast all our marriages.

All hail the cockroaches' holy grail!

This nutty gent's taste test of a WWII GI field ration, complete with coffee & sugar, worked okay. (We hope.....)

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We've now decided this coffee because it was given with the inscription on it from my son, his wife, and daughter. Only problem is, they have two daughters, they are very meticulous and would not have excluded the younger daughter. The only conclusion we can draw is the coffee is at least 25 years old, since the younger daughter is that age now. I have consumed about half of the contents of the can it came in at some point it time. I'm going to wait until tomorrow at the very least to try the coffee. I poured some of it out on a paper plate, it looks fine, and it actually smells pretty good.

More to come. It is entirely possible after sleeping on it, I may abandon my intent to try it.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
The only conclusion we can draw is the coffee is at least 25 years old, since the younger daughter is that age now.

I have drunk red wine that's older than that and port from the 1800s as Hoodie said, be brave.

We'll call an ambulance if necessary but I'm not sure how long it would take to get there from Oz :lol:

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I remember not long ago seeing a guy on TV who had a tinned chicken he found in his house from the 1939, he opened it, ate it and lived to tell the tale. I am sure if the coffee is sealed it will be ok.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
We've now decided this coffee because it was given with the inscription on it from my son, his wife, and daughter. Only problem is, they have two daughters, they are very meticulous and would not have excluded the younger daughter. The only conclusion we can draw is the coffee is at least 25 years old, since the younger daughter is that age now. I have consumed about half of the contents of the can it came in at some point it time. I'm going to wait until tomorrow at the very least to try the coffee. I poured some of it out on a paper plate, it looks fine, and it actually smells pretty good.

More to come. It is entirely possible after sleeping on it, I may abandon my intent to try it.
I hate sleeping in a gritty bed. Taking a shower after sleeping on coffee would make the drain look like you'd just had a bad kidney event...

Sorry, I had to go there...:lol:

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
"Java" in Java watching the final of a world Cup football game outside in Bali with Europeans.
Haven't touched coffee since- my heart was racing.

Poster Extraordinaire
I took a sip out of a travel mug in my desk drawer at work. Two years?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Hey TD. Did you drink any of that coffee yet? If you don’t like it, you can use the rest to soak up oil off the garage floor. :p

I'm beginning to think drinking the coffee is not that good of an idea. There is an indication that it may be at least twenty-five years old. From what I've read online, it probably wouldn't hurt me, but the old cook's saying, "when in doubt, throw it out" certainly seems to apply here.