What is the oldest Coffee you've ever drank.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m into my coffee big time. Fresh roasted coffee in fold over bags loses flavor after a few weeks. Coffee in a sealed bag is good for six months or so until the bag is opened, after which it’s lost flavor after a few weeks. I use Illy espresso ground coffee for my cappuccino. Illy thinks the coffee in a sealed can is good for a year. That’s about right. I use the can within a few weeks of when it is opened and don’t notice any deterioration but the Illy can seals back up pretty well. Coffee from a can that doesn’t seal was trash before it was opened. Sorry. I’m a coffee snob. That’s not out of character for a guy who’s a car snob and a guitar snob too.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
If it was stored under the porch in Bakersfield heat, I don't think I would brew it. If it was inside, doesn't look moldy, and smells reasonably like coffee, it's probably fine to drink. Just brew some up and see how comes out!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Okay, we were putting up a new thermometer on the porch, and somehow came across a can of coffee my son gave me, I have no idea of how long ago. I also have no idea how the two events became related. We're not talking a few months, or even a few years here. I know I drank some of it, because it's more than half gone, but it's been so long ago, I have no recollection of when. I know it came from my son, because the little gift card thingy is still on the can, but no date. My question is, can I still drink it, will it poison me, or just not taste as it did years ago?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm hopelessly sentimental about ANYTHING my kids give me, and don't want to waste it if I don't have to. (My favorite coffee cup is one my daughter gave me for Father's Day in 1995.)
If you're sentimental about it, TD, dump the coffee and save the can for golf tees or something. I love old cans, but old coffee?....not so much.
[email protected]'s post (#3) made me laugh out loud. ;).....literally.

Last edited:

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
55BDF866-9D55-4CA2-BB43-6CB2DB2DEC67.gif

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Our morning routine is to make two cups of coffee. My wife drinks hers right away, but I usually take a few sips, then let it sit. Throughout the day my wife and I take sips, without reheating.

ALERT! ALERT! My wife just did this as I was typing this post.

One of our favorite TV show was the David Mamet series, The Unit. The lead actor Dennis Haysbert, had a little bit of business when he was at home, in which he would nuke a cold cup of coffee in the microwave. It was strictly a background thing that had no direct relation to the plot. It had a nice, homey feel to it which helped with the contrast between being at home, and being deployed with his unit of 6-7 super-skilled soldiers with nerves of steel. They would be sent to locations around the world to do various dangerous things, then return to a regular home life until the next situation came up. The coffee nuking helped convey how safe and comfortable the soldiers' lives were.

OK. So while I'm at it, why the hell isn't Haysbert a mega movie star? He was great in this show, as well as in the series 24. What a voice.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Okay, we were putting up a new thermometer on the porch, and somehow came across a can of coffee my son gave me, I have no idea of how long ago. I also have no idea how the two events became related. We're not talking a few months, or even a few years here. I know I drank some of it, because it's more than half gone, but it's been so long ago, I have no recollection of when. I know it came from my son, because the little gift card thingy is still on the can, but no date. My question is, can I still drink it, will it poison me, or just not taste as it did years ago?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm hopelessly sentimental about ANYTHING my kids give me, and don't want to waste it if I don't have to. (My favorite coffee cup is one my daughter gave me for Father's Day in 1995.)

Only one way to find out. . .

If it still looks and smells like coffee (as opposed to mold or fungus) then the worst thing I can imagine is having to drink a not-great-tasting cup of coffee.
Probly won't kill you or even make you sick. Depending on how well it was sealed, the worst thing is it might taste flat and lack good flavor. You only live once. Make sure you got plenty of toilet paper, LOL.:lol:

You can always swirl it around in your mouth first like the cork sniffers do, haha.:D

Last edited:

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
Really old in the late 60’s in the army in VN we were getting C rations that had canned foods, a piece of chocolate, a small pack of cigarettes and a small packet of coffee in the box. Some of these were left over from the Korean War, so about 15 years old. The cigarettes were dried out and stale and the chocolate had turned white on the surface.

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Maybe use it to stain or age some guitar parts if it's sentimental. There's probably little microscopic insect eggs in there or some kind of brain eating bacteria.