1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the MOST trouble or effort you ever went through to get a guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Henley, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hmmm thinking back thru all the guitars I've had from all the way back .... can't think of one that involved anything more than 3-4 hour drives max (one way) - actually a lot of those; but certainly no hellish experiences or faulty gear or rip-offs. On the other hand, there were many fun excursions here there and everywhere in pursuit of guitars that I just had to have, overnights to guitar shows, one that I won, another that was given to me that I had to tape up the case and fly back from Florida, many bought direct from friends ... I'd say overall I've been pretty lucky and fared well with guitar acquisitions!

2. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Great stories. The divorce story reminds me of one the hundred(s) of escapades over the years...all surrounding acquiring guitars. I picked up a near mint 2013 + top Gibson Les Paul from a fella that had been advertising it for $2000 forever.

I offered him $1500 for it if I liked her....he balked and never answered me back.,after a small period of time I noticed it was still for sale.

So I registered another email address and wrote him...all I asked was why he was selling it and if I could see it. He went thru this long story that ended with "I'm getting a divorce and want to sell all my gear off so the wife gets nothing" "This is my last and best guitar...you can check it out at my work"

So I was on the way.

When I got there, checking out the guitar as we talked and he again went thru the divorce situation...so I said:

"I hear ya and feel the same way, if you sold this for $3000 while married and you divorced, here in California you would get 50% or $1500. He said " I know"
    So I said...I'll give you $1550 cash for it now and we can call it a day.

He paused and sheepishly agreed...so I walked over to him handed him the $$ and said here...play it once more...because you are never seeing it again. :)
    When I got home and opened the compartment of the case...there was a sales receipt for $2799.00 +tax. :)

Seattlesurfer and bromdenlong like this.
  3. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

I made one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.