1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the MOST trouble or effort you ever went through to get a guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Henley, Aug 8, 2020.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

It all begins with felling a tree ..........

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Just to watch him die..........or to steel his guitar?

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Great story!

4. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

son... this is just the beginning.

Frodebro and WalthamMoosical like this.
  5. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Something very like this.
    Still coughing up sawdust....

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

A guy I know had a ‘74 LP Special he used for slide. He liked my SG and bought one. The LP sat unused and I kept bugging him to sell me the guitar. Always a “no” answer. After about nearly five years I was ready to give up. But I told Buddy tHat I f he didn’t want to sell it to me that’s fine and I’ll never ask again. He said “sure” and I asked “ how much?”. He said “$500.00” I asked if he was home and he said yes. I was at his door 30 minutes later with a check.
    I now own a 55/74 LP Special. That was a good five years ago and I’m getting into the idea to bringing it back to its original specs (or as close as I can) because it’s a player not a looker
    BTW, Buddy never did cash the check

bromdenlong, Henley and nicknklv like this.
  7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I ordered a custom 335. Nine months later, no guitar. I called Gibson myself to see what the problem was. The store owner had not paid his bill and Gibson would not ship until he did.

I confronted the owner. He told me to get out and not come back. I ordered from another store in my college town. The guitar came in after I had gone home for the summer, so I had to drive back to pick it up. It came without the Bigsby I had ordered. I had to take the Bigsby off my trade-in 330.

Prior to this I had ordered a new Twin Reverb with JBLs from the non-bill paying guy. I made a deal with his sales lady that he thought was unfair. He hid the Twin in his basement for I don't know how long before informing me it was in.

8. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a hell of a story about a mandolin but the most difficulty I've had buying a guitar was 24 hours of indecision. After waiting over two years for one to pop up at the right price (an Olympia all solid wood spruce/rosewood dreadnought) one came along and I bought it for $200 plus tax and shipping. A week later another popped up, also on Reverb only this one was a one-off prototype with an ebony fretboard and had seldom been out of it's case for twenty years. After sleeping on it I bought it for $300 ++ before the first one had even arrived. The first was great, everything I expected, the second blew my mind, best acoustic I've ever played.

[​IMG]

bromdenlong, Henley and nicknklv like this.
  9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Both.

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Good plan!

11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I saw one advertised at GC, some 25 years ago. Went down to play it. Asked the guy what the third knob was. He made up some answer (it only does anything in one position). I bought it. Still have it. Yamaha AES800.

I know that's not very much, but that's the most effort I ever put into it.

12. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I was doing a tour in Canada, and the guitar player in the opening band was a really cool older guy who told me that he was selling a couple of guitars, gave me photos of a blonde '41 Super 400 and a Stromberg Master 300, with a killer price for the pair. At that point, I had no interest in non cutaway acoustic archtops.A few years later, I grew up, and, pre internet, spent months trying to find him. When I did, he of course told me that he sold them to a collector who never sells. Crap. A few years go by and someone sent me an email list of guitars for sale, and a Stromberg Master 300 was on there, and once again I had to go to Hades and back to get a phone number, but when I did, it was the same guitar! I told him I had a photo of it! He was the collector, and was getting a divorce at 80 years old and had to sell everything! He was asking more for the one guitar than double the original price for the pair, but when he told me his price was in Canadian dollars, I hopped on a plane and the rest, as they say, is history!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    bromdenlong and Henley like this.
  13. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

That'd be the effort I went through to buy my first guitar, a bottom-of-the-range Kay acoustic with cheese-wire strings agonisingly high above the fretboard; it also took the most effort to play out of any guitar I've ever owned. It came from my next door neighbour's mail-order catalogue and I paid it up over 38 weeks with earnings from my paper round.

bromdenlong, Old Plank and Henley like this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

As many as I’ve been through you’d think I have some stories but the truth is I’ve passed up many many deals near me out of sheer laziness.

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought my first Gibson (an ebony LP Standard) with college loan money, so it basically took six years of school, moving 5000 miles to another country and ten years of loan payments to pay it off.

bromdenlong and Henley like this.
  16. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I was looking for a Martin, but the locals only had a few models. Madolin Bros had closed, Matt Umanov too. Lark Street had some pre war models that were a bit out of my price range!

Maury's in Pa. had a bunch of examples of the 3 models I was interested in, so I took a day off to drive 120 miles each way. I got about 10 miles away and the roads were shut down for a few hours for some big thing. so I drove home, and went back the next day. I got the guitar though...

Henley likes this.
  17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

1965-1966. Saving up for my first decent guitar.

My allowance included $1.75 a week for lunches and $.25 a week for a zone fare that got me a mile closer to home after school. So skip lunch and walk farther, that's $2.00 a week to the guitar fund. Add the neighborhood chore income, and when my birthday came around I had $50.00. My dad said he would match it, and we went down to Yeager's Music and got a 1959 Musicmaster. Worth it.

18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

For me, it was my very 1st Gibson ES-335 I acquired .

I'm an outside salesman for a glass company.

Back in '13, I want to a customers house to measure for some replacement insulated glass that needed to be replaced.

While there I noticed in his front office he has a capo and some pics on the desk.

We got to talking about guitars, and he mentioned he had an older Gibson 335 at his main house that he never played anymore.

He said he was into acoustic these days, and he rarely plays electric.

I told him I'd really be interested in seeing the 335, and possibly buying it from him for the right price.

He said he probably wouldn't, and I said keep my card and number if he would ever consider selling it, just give me 1st shot.

Well right before I finished measuring all the glass, he asked if I'd be willing to barter for the guitar.

I told him before i considered it, I'd have to see it 1st, and we'd have to agree on its value.

So the next day, I met him at the house to check out the guitar.

It had the trapeze replaced with a fixed bridge, and the tuners had been change to Grovers.

It also was in a non original oversized case that the guitar didn't fit in properly.

I took all the pictures and went home to confirm is was a modded '70 335.

I gave him ballpark value of a non modded 335 and said that the mods would knock down the value.

My boss knows I collect guitars like he collects old cars,so I asked him if I could buy the glass at cost and do the labor myself to barter for the guitar.

He said he had no problem.

I met with the guy again and gave him the cost of the glass and labor if it was done through the company.

He said he was willing to trade the guitar for the glass and labor.

I ordered the glass, and 1 week later I went to install the 5 pieces of glass and glazing bead for all the windows.

After I completed the job and he check out the work, we shook hands and he handed me the '70 Gibson Cherry 335.

I've NEVER EVER gone to this much trouble to acquire any other guitar,but it was well worth the trouble.

Here's a pic of my '70 Gibson ES-335. It's the one in the middle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

To get my SL2HT, I paid a lot of money (for me) over a very long layaway period. So I shelled out over two thousand dollars and did a lot of waiting. Nothing colorful or interesting, I’m afraid.

Henley likes this.
  20. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer Tele-Meister

ADB1C8EF-038D-4FCF-8781-789BFE67BE55.jpeg Had this custom made out Canada, 180 miles away from me in Seattle. My leaf only goes 100 miles per charge so had to plan it out so I wouldn't get stuck in Canada in January.

bromdenlong and Old Plank like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.