1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the MOST trouble or effort you ever went through to get a guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Henley, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve wanted an SJ 200 for awhile. Saw one at a shop in Maine in February. Sold 4 guitars in 30 days to come up with the scratch and had to drive to Maine in the pandemic to pick it up. Well worth all the effort.

elihu, black_doug, 985plowboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Kept a guy on the phone for 40 minutes+ as I sped to his house to buy an old Martin he put on Craigslist.

White knuckling and speeding wrecklessly the entire time.

Trying to say anything to keep the conversation rolling.

Just as he was finally saying “well , I really gotta wrap this up...when are you coming to see it ?”

I said , “I’m here ! Black F-150 ...”

“Oh yeah , I see you , just pull up in the driveway...”

He said he heard people trying to call the whole time we were on the phone. I thought to myself – man I’m glad I didn’t know that or I probably would’ve run off the road.

Shoved the cash in his hand and said thanks gotta run !

I was back on the road in four minutes.

Went home and took a two-hour nap out of nervous exhaustion.

His phone number popped up on my caller ID when I got a call later that afternoon.

I did not answer.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Jlwctn, elihu, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  3. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I drove to Portland and back for my 12-string. Craigslist. I kept calling the guy to make sure he still had it. 400 miles round-trip. I still have it.

Henley and JL_LI like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Geez. Some of y’all are really dedicated to the mission. I usually just grab mine off the wall at the music store, or order them online. The hardest part is handing over the money.

Who am I kidding? I could never even attempt to hold onto money.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

Or do you mean you're close to finishing the project?

:twisted:

I took more than a year to find the perfect Les Paul. I've owned several, and all were a compromise, e.g., great sound but too heavy, perfect weight but thin neck, etc. In my 15-month search across several states, I probably played 400-500 Les Pauls. And I found the one that checks all the boxes...even some boxes I never knew were boxes. It really is a holy grail Les Paul for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Working Five Seasons of Graveyard at a Canery to make the Money.

bromdenlong, elihu and Henley like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That place looks awesome!

I couldn’t go in there....you’re stronger than I
    I’d be broke before I hit the second floor

I don’t know a way to say it without sounding how can I say...American

But in a country close to the source of chibsons, are there any suspect instruments you’ve seen there?

8. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Other than my wife , no trouble a at all. They just show up at my door.

9. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

My wife gave me a guitar as a wedding present....does that count?

10. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

In my Ibanez collecting years...I was notified by my rss feed listing of a 70's blonde, flamed, set-neck solid body Ibanez in mint condition for $800. Guy had no clue of what model, No pictures... I immediately called, asked if I could see it.

He said..."well a guy's already offered me $600 for it if he likes it, and is on the way to look"

I said...well, is the sale final?
    "No"

Well what if I offered you $650 sight unseen would you take it?
    (I faintly hear a female "yes" in the back ground)

"Well if you can get here first,. I will."

I jumped in the truck and flew all bats get out...only 10 miles away...but seemed like 100. The whole time anguishing if the other guy was getting there ahead of me.

I pulled up in about a little over 10 min,..got out and the house door was open.
    Huntington Beach rich community area,. I walked up to "come on in"

What is not said yet is..in my experience with these things, and in my head was, it could have been one of only 4 guitars at the time, any one of which was worth $1600 easy....besides being highly desirable...yet I was taking a gamble of not being as smart as I thought I was.

I walked up to a familiar(to me) case, he nodded for me to open it up,. ( no music, but there should have been) and inside was a brand "new" 1978 Ibanez 2617 NT Picked it up..quick check,. I could not get the $650 out of my wallet fast enough.

As he saw the money flipping... he says..." say, you might be interested in the amp too?"

I said SUREEE...what might that be?...he said "well I'm not sure but it's a Fender and I bought it with the guitar in '78. He says " it's down in the basement where my son is" Notwithstanding the awkwardness these days of such a thing...with no hesitation, I followed him down.

There sat his son next to a covered amp....his son lifted the cover off revealing a freakin mint 1978 Fender Twin Reverb..I asked him how much...he said $600,.
    I pondered and said firmly "I'd like it, but all I have is another $350,. so how about $1000 cash for both?

From above I hear a seemingly familiar female voice. "take the money"

Deal! he says...and I ran out with a Mint 1978 Ibanez 2617 NT and a 1978 Fender Twin Reverb for 1k. I could not get out of there fast enough. :) I didn't even plug the amp in just took him for his word.

I love wife's :)

11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I
    Was young, just a teenager. I got this tele second hand ( 5th hand maybe ). Well it crapped out on me right away. I then took it to a drunk guitar tech at my local shop. He said he would give me a discount, and do it on his own time. That must have been 9 months. When I did get it back, he told me that the body and its' parts were not fender. He did do a cool job for me . Tele pick up in the bridge, strat in the middle, and a humbucker in the neck. I spent more on that thing than it was worth. I played it for a good 10 years, and finally got a new Tele. It became my first new guitar. 1988, my journey to the first new guitar.

Henley likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nothing wrong with sounding, looking or being American my friend. Absolutely agree with you on the need to be extra diligent in shopping for an American brand in Asia in general because the close proximity to the source of chibson etc, I felt I was safe with an Epi 339. Truth of the matter is the Korean stuff is SO GOOD that is generally what I am after. Moolon guitars and pedals are top tier stuff. Yes you have to really struggle to barter a good price because they do see dollar signs with westerners. I never fail to disappoint them. Politely saying ‘thank you for your time’ and walking away is the great equalizer. They wont let you get far. They are exceedingly polite people and super good folks in general. That store is amazing and you cant even come close to seeing everything in a weekend. Andrew White started a factory just north east of Seoul and it is tiny. About the size of an Olive Garden. Killer craftsmanship in Korea. I could not buy the guitar at the factory.
    DA351921-DDCB-4B61-BF25-A89AFC102B99.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Fretting out and Henley like this.
  13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wow!!!

14. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

In Natchitoches, I had arranged to meet a fella selling a Lefty Gibson LPC and when I got to the area where he lived the road was,. gone. Confused...some people were around and I asked "what happened"
    "Oh we had a flood and it washed the road. it will be fixed tomorrow"

I said.. " Well how the hell do you get over there now" pointing across the river.
    It was the only road...

"Well, yall can always take a boat"..I laughed but they didn't...then I noticed practically every house had a boat of some sort...as I could see the edge of all the houses on my side.

So I thought the hell with it... I went door to door on the side of the river I was on and pitched them taking me across. Went to the first three houses, no answer, 2nd house, could you drop me right across the bank there so I can buy a guitar? Nope...3rd, nope.

So I decided to change my tactic:

One more house and that's it...
    Upon them answering I said in my southern voice "I'm sorry to bother you. but I just flew in visiting and I have to get over to other side just right across from your house. The road is washed out,. and I'm late to meet my family with a small tear,. I'll give you $20 just to take me across.

"Don't y'all worry honey...I'll take you..and keep your money"
    Don't judge me:)I'm a lefty and I have to improvise..it worked, and the guy gave me a ride back in his boat...so I walked with the Gibby and my boat story. Yes I have a sickness..you can't make this stuff up :)

15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

One time I clicked on the 'Buy Now' button....
    and a week later it turned up on my doorstep.

Mabe I'm just very lazy.

16. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

...sometimes it's all about the chase.

17. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Traveled a grand total of almost 1,000 miles to get my Ibanez semiacoustic. Found the ad when I was on a work trip to Copenhagen, drove back to Stockholm the same day, then the next day I took busses and trains to get to the other side of Sweden (Göteborg) and more trains to bring it back. Came back around 9pm but man was it worth it.

18. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I've driven all the way to far-flung locales like Bay Ridge, Westchester, and Staten Island for gear.

19. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Back in ‘71 I was hitchhiking from L.A. back to Michigan and I decided to stop in Minneapolis to see a buddy that had moved there. After I had been there a couple of days we went to check out some local guitar stores.

We walked into a store in Bloomington, MN and there it was... the ‘61 Les Paul Custom I had been looking for the last couple years, it was gorgeous.

Long story short... I traded in the Guild D-35 that I’d been traveling with but that still left a pretty good chunk of money owed. I got a job working in a plastics factory to come up with the rest of the money.

I played that LPC for about 18 months before finally deciding the neck was just too thin for me. My buddy eventually wound up with that guitar and it became his #1. He literally wore that thing out, he played it till he passed in 2018.

bromdenlong and Bella like this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I flew 2,500 miles to reclaim my avatar guitar.
    It got sold, along with most of my stuff to pay my divorce lawyer, about 18 years ago.
    I moved back to Austin after living in Pr. George, BC.
    It was great to have it back.
    I was without it for a couple of years.

bromdenlong and nicknklv like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.