1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the MOST trouble or effort you ever went through to get a guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Henley, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

I've boarded planes...rode in bus's and even a boat. Waited on pin's and needles and practically ran down the street. I've got some good stories to share...what hell have you gone through to get your babies?

2. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

25 trips to the hardware store so far; at least 10 internet-order purchases; inhaled too much mineral spirits; nerve-wracking hole drilling with no drill press; etc.

But I am nearing the end.

I hope.

3. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I drove 200 miles to pick up a one piece solid maple body. Seller was on a mad one as his wife had left him a few weeks previously and all his money was going on booze. He gave me a neck to go with it cheap and when I put it together it wouldn't intonate as the body was designed for a 22 fret neck and mine was a 21. My tech monkeyed up a prosthetic which worked a charm. I later sold it to a lad starting a Springsteen tribute band for a tidy profit but yeah, definitely one of the more difficult ones.

Henley likes this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bought my MiJ for £70. Sold it for £70. Bought it back 15 years later (plus a few dings and natural play wear) for £70.

That’s the patient way to outsource a relic job.

5. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I was young and foolish/uninitiated I bought a '64 Strat on eBay. I was in Canada and it was in Australia. It took over a month to arrive by ground freight.

My plan was to flip it at a profit . . . until I discovered that refins go for much less.

Lesson learned.

Henley likes this.
  6. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Building my StewMac T Style
    A6241450-519F-41DD-85E2-102EBFCBBFD3.jpeg 4F56A720-BF39-458A-A603-3174F421F266.jpeg

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I just needed a guitar ... any guitar ...

All of the local music shops were closed due to current circumstances, so, other than an online purchase, our local Craigslist was my only option...

It took a week, and some complications, to finally arrange the transaction ...

Henley and Fretting out like this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

At some point in the early 80's I ordered a custom model from Carvin. It was a Koa version of their DC150. One of the first Koa body guitars that they offered. It took them 5 months to get the finish correct (?) and get it sent to me.

Henley and Fretting out like this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I haven’t bought a new guitar since 1974. I still have it, an Ovation Balladeer. Since then, I’ve only bought pre-loved. Truth be told, I’ve stumbled across each of them. When I got my Telecaster, i’d been playing them in nearby GC and Sam Ash stores. I found a Nashville on an eBay auction, bid the minimum, and won. It’s my avatar, reworked some, but still mine. I wasn’t really looking for a Gretsch when I found a pristine Anniversary for the right price. I found my SG on a wall at Sam Ash. The salesman who sold me that one called me when my Strat was traded in. I found my Simon and Patrick in a wall in Claremont, CA. My FCS Stratocaster found me. I’ve posted about that one before. Finding a guitar has never been trouble. Who knows what I’ll find next?

Henley likes this.
  10. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Most trouble... hrm. Probably dealing with GC staff.

11. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

“Young” , This couldn’t have been that long ago ;)

Henley and black_doug like this.
  12. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Well, being a girl and all, obviously you don't know anything about guitars.

That kind of thing?

Henley, RhythmFender and Bella like this.
  13. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I did a headstock repair and refinished a Gibson LP Studio in tobacco burst and then traded it for a '92 Epiphone Sorrento. I was happy with the trade because I jones'd for that Sorrento but still feel remorse.

Henley likes this.
  14. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Precisely.

Edit: Well that and they aren't always the most 'on the ball' sales people either.

15. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Okay, "younger". At the turn of the century. :)

Fretting out and RhythmFender like this.
  16. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Sorry for your trouble. Maybe one of these days the Cro-Magnon Era will wind down. In the meantime - rock on!

RhythmFender likes this.
  17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I shot a man in Reno.

18. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Thanks Tubegeek<3

After this many years, you kind of just expect it, so I'm never surprised. I'm 45 now but I've been playing since I was 16. I just take a deep breath when I'm about to explore a new store because I figure the chance of me getting help is slim. I've had to actually walk up to staff who were just sitting around while I've been waiting at a particular counter for ages, and be all 'You guys think you can be bothered to make a sale?' LOL. Jesus.

19. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I met the original owner of my avatar at the University of Texas, Arlington as a student. The owner, Coice Pearson, was a security guard a the girls' dorm where some of us would set up impromptu jams to troll for female companionship. Since this was 1971, a curfew was in effect, and Choice would be tasked with shutting down the festivities and enforcing the curfew. One such evening, he shooed us out and told me to come back the next evening at curfew time. I thought long and hard about not showing up for fear I was in trouble, but curiosity won out, and am I glad I did! Choice introduced me to the Veteran "(he bought it as NOS in 1941, joined the Navy after Pearl Harbor, and the guitar was with him as he served on several ships in the Pacific Theater. Fast forward 25+ years, and I asked Choice if he'd sell me the Veteran. He said no, but he wouldn't be offended if I kept after him to sell it. It took me two long years of constant but gentle pressure, but he finally relented, and as they say, the rest is history. I've had my 1939 D18 Martin for 47 years- well worth the wait. _585.JPG _588.JPG

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I was in Sacheon S.Korea on business and had to book a hotel for Friday night in Seoul, catch the bullet train Friday afternoon, in hotel by Friday night. Saturday morning took the city rails to the famous Nakwon Music Mall (worlds biggest music store). On this particular trip I was after an Andrew White 512 Freja acoustic. I haggled with the dealer and later, walked past his store with (bags from other stores). He came out and and worked a cash deal’ I got $600 off!!! Then, hotel, bullet train and back in Sacheon by Sunday evening. Got to see Seoul and a lot of Korea too.

Here is the Andrew White Freja in the hotel room in Seoul later.
    6DC2F6F2-38A5-4867-9CE9-3F4ADD1856E1.jpeg

I have done this little routine three times to Nakwon Music Mall the first was for a Epi 339. Mr Park the store owner with “Cole” my Number #1 at the time. We still keep in touch and have done a collab on Sound Cloud:
    CC5793D7-6F57-4202-80DA-9CFF21BC578F.jpeg

The Epi he sold me.
    1634688D-CA24-4174-AC6A-88A37EDD6EBD.jpeg

The last was a Moollon British Octah Fuzz.
    E0395CB3-AA63-4488-A364-4FB88B85D302.jpeg

This is a film I made of Nakwon Music Mall:

Finally, a Crafter finger style guitar I bought in Bangkok Thailand. I no longer have this guitar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.