1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the most quiet power supply for a pedalboard?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never had any noise from a cheap Chinese power supply accept when I put a digital pedal on an under-supplied port or had a strange interaction between two pedals on a daisy chain. I’ve used adapters and daisy chains and 2-3 $30 units I got an Amazon.

DeepDangler likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So in light of the generally dark days I decided to rewire my board and finally set up my new Voodoo lab 4x4 power supply.

Strangely in keeping with the 2021 SNAFU, three excellent working pedals broke on me in the process!

One (isp decimator II G string) needed a loose jack tightened and I removed the back to make sure I didn’t twist it in the case, all went fine but it now passes no signal.

Then the Maxon AD900 failed to click when plugging in the input phone plug.
    Opened it up and the enclosed 1/4” jack was broken in half.

Grabbed my spare AD900 and that now does not light up or pass signal.

After all that I wanted my shut up and play my guitar, so I went guitar - SUF Violet muff - amp.
    Sounded great!
    No pedal board needed?

Noooooooooooooo!

4. don_danapoint

don_danapoint TDPRI Member

5. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I swear by Voodoo Labs power supplies. I use the Mondo with my stereo pedal board, the 4 X 4 for specific pedals through my Fender Concert and an original, (1st year of production), Pedal Power 2 to power up a delay, wah and looper into my Mesa Mark V:35. That Pedal Power 2 works as good as the day I bought it.

The-Kid likes this.
  6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

@burntfrijoles, to answer your question directly, there is not one PS that stands head and shoulders above everyone else. I’ve used Voodoo Labs, Strymon and the Trutone OneSpot 12 port isolated power supply. so long as I was within the load limits, all were fine. I’m sure the Ciocks and several others here are good as well. The Pedal Train Volto is not a power supply, per se, but it is a battery pack that works well for several 9V pedals. Even when being charged, it is reasonably quiet.

I’m thinking these days, any major brand isolated power supply with enough current (and proper voltage-remember some pedals are 12 V and others like 18) will be adequately quiet for any guitar pedal you may have.

The-Kid likes this.
  7. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

I have 1 and its pretty quiet, but I haven't compared it to any of the Voodoo Lab stuff. It replaced a 1 Spot and a Joyo of some sort.

8. Stiv

Stiv TDPRI Member

In the pic is my Mission Engineering USB powered 5 output supply I use on my mini pedal setup. I power it using any USB adapter or that little red cellphone charger pack next to it. It is quiet, AC or charge pack powered.

I also have used the Voodoo Labs PP2+ on my bigger pedal board, and it is quiet as well. I tried the one spot and I’d run into noise problems.

Attached Files:

9. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Holic

I’ve been happy with ISPOT products. Cheap digital pedals can contribute a lot of noise to your pedalboard via the power bus, if a supply doesn’t have true isolated outputs.

10. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

My only experience is with a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO-5. It's extremely quiet. But, then again, I wear ear plugs. Hmm.:cool:

The-Kid likes this.
  11. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

The-Kid likes this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the Donner El-Cheapo Deluxe model & it is surprisingly quiet as a wake and works every time.

13. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I have an inexpensive power supply that's been on my board for years (less than $100,Chinese made ) that has eight outputs and it's extremely quiet, and has been dependable.

I'm powering Boss, Line 6, Keeley & other pedals with it

I have an older model Performer that's larger than the newer #2 version below. Plenty of cables & adapters included.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=233187862451

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  14. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I have no problems with my Harley Benton Powerplant ISO-2.
    Strymon and Voodoo are of course high quality products, but a lot more expensive.
    Anyway, apart from a good power circuit with isolated outputs, there are other details to watch after.
    I had to experiment quite a bit with the arrangement of the pedals on my board, i.e. my wah and one of my delays produced a hum when placed directly next to the powersupply.
    Since I'm using a pedalboard where I can place powersupply underneath, the problem disappeared.
    Also some power-cables don't like to be placed parallel to the patch-cables, they need some space in betwwen.

15. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I also use 1 Spot's Pro CS Series. They work for me. Currently have the CS7 and CS12.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Lots of good info. I have lots of options now that I have decided to scrap placing it under the pedalboard. My pedalboard changes based on what ii’m doing so I want to be able to easily swap pedals without the hassle of having to go “underneath the hood”.
    Still trying to decide between the Zuma and one of the VDL models.

17. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yup, it works.

I remember “upgrading” to a Voodoo Lab ISO 5, and I didn’t experience any more or less noise or any appreciable sound difference. I ended up going back to a One Spot and haven’t looked back.

Javier668 likes this.
  18. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

I am very keen to my noise floor so any of the Taroidal PSUs especially ones like Voodoo Labs PP2 or similar are out of the question.

I opt out for sleeker, smaller, more powerful, amazing and useful features, Expandable, ultra low noise\no noise added power, zero to little noise. Powers all my Analog Units great and mega quiet with no noise added! And I have a Fuzz Face and wah powered by it going great 100% no issues or problems just the best :)

BEtter builds too with more robust and durable RCA jacks that are just tougher and last longer than whatever they use in other PSUs at the moment. Great thing you can use your old daisy chains too with no noise added in most cases and don't have to worry about voltage or current doubling cables. Stupid high 660ma at 9 volts has you set for most situations and voltage switching pretty much Eliminates the need for voltage doubling cables. YOu can also use the 24 volt ISo to power 24 volt pedals!!!!

Just amazing power and no noise floor added. Powered 13 pedals with just two ISOs a splitter power cable and a daisy chain of 10......two ISO taps powered all 13 pedals with no issues or noise added.....Amazing!!!!!

I use an 8 expander and a DC7. Just expand the DC7 with the 8 with the 24 volt ISO to get a total of 15 ISOs. also still can expand further with a 4 or 8 expander and still power a 24 colt pedal with the 8 expand ers 24 volt ISO.
    [​IMG]

Strymon and Truetone are great too but CIOKS Future Power Generation PSUs just do it for me. I think Voodoo labs came out with a Pedal Power 3. It looks nice, hard choice between that and a Strymon but even then the clear and obvious choice for me and many looking at no noise added units, small and sleek enclosure, more robust and durable builds,and boat loads of power and options on deck. The choice is Future Power Generation unit from CiOKS for me.

These are just awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Not only meet Standards but surpass by leaps and bounds.

Voodoo labs stuff is nice and may work still on many boards but there are just way better options for same money or less in 2021 and have been for a while.

Mission Engineering 529, TrueTone, Strymon, CIOKS etc etc etc

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Everything I’ve read says the toroidal transformer models like Voodoo become an issue if and only if they’re mounted underneath the board and you have a sensitive pedal on top of them.

I have a Pedaltrain board with the supply mounted underneath so I went with a Truetone Pro power supply and have had no issues. I have one digital pedal and one analog mounted right on top of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.