What is the most interesting or unique-sounding pickup you know that fits in a standard humbucker route?

mandoloony

Tele-Meister
I'm just looking to see what's out there that I might have missed. You can interpret "interesting" and "unique" however you want as long as I can drop it into an HH guitar without permanent modifications. Even mini-hums are fine since adapter rings exist. It must be available new, but waiting for custom builders is not a problem.

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The Joe Barden two-tone humbucker. It's switchable between a good humbucker sound/response in the PAF range, and an equally loud (no volume loss) Strat-ish sound which is essentially the JB S-Deluxe pickup (noiseless, more hi-fi than single coil strat pickups, highly responsive to tone and volume controls on the guitar). Both voices are noiseless. I

Cali Dude

Friend of Leo's
I don't know how unique the sound is, but the Lollar Imperial "high wind" humbuckers are certainly top notch. I love them in my Hamer Sunburst. They are beautiful when played clean, and get a great grind when pushing a tweed amp.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
I came across these very low resistance Alnico 8 pickups recently and the concept interests me:

Neck Specs: 3.55k DCR, AlNiCo IV
Bridge Specs: 4.35k DCR, AlNiCo VIII

And not that uncommon but you can get Filtertrons in a Humbucker size.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
-I suppose a Dyna Sonic could be fitted to a HB rout. They are pretty unique sounding.
-Of course so can a Gretsch Fidelitron and they have a punchy compressed wound to them.
-A Lace HB'er is really just two single coils mounted together, that gives some options.... They aren't even wired together as supplied.
-Mini HB's have a nice clean tone with no mud on the lows like a regular HB has.
-A Gibson P94 is HB shaped and a very clean pickup sound.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Before they came up with these fancy e-lec-tric pickups we used to make them of wood; I have one on one of my guitars, but I had to make it myself. A bit dead sounding, I must admit, but it is different.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
Lindy Fralin offers a wide selection of hum canceling choices, from Strat to P-90 and several shades in between.

Lollar makes a Telecaster set, a pseudo P-90 set, and Charlie Christians for a humbucker route. I have the "Novel 90s" and they are somewhere between P-90s and Fender single coil sounds. Sort of "fat without the growl".

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
Well, you asked, don’t hate, my Virgil arlo pafs, are truly the most killer hb pickups I have ever owned, got em well before va stopped winding,and prices went absolutely insane, the first set was sent back, after a back and forth about what I was looking for in the paf style, the first set was close, but, the second set, nailed it, still in awe, at the celerity, string balance, feel, and that midrange thing a very good old les Pual burst does, if you know you know.
I feel blessed to have them. they however are not available anymore , at sane prices, I would not own them at todays used prices on these. They are my absolute favorite hum-bucker ever though.

Reactions: BB

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Seymour Duncan Humbucker sized Psyclones. Like a hot PAF with gain but all the good Filtertron tone with low-med gain.

s-l500.jpg