What is the most effective way to prevent guitar theft?

wyclif

Tele-Afflicted
I just noticed there's been a few threads lately about guitar theft and recovering stolen guitars.

Which leads me to ask a serious question: what is the most effective way to prevent guitar theft for gigging musicians? What techniques and strategies do you use?

This thread was inspired by the recent story about Randy Bachman's stolen Gretsch and how he used to chain it to the toilet in hotel bathrooms.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
cache2.jpg

Just call him "Spot."

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
When my old band was playing clubs we had a couple of friends that roadied for us. We always had one person outside during load out that did nothing but watch the gear.

Eyes on, always.

This!!!
Always somebody watching the gear 100% of the time!
We have a saying around here that freely translates to "the opportunity makes the thief".
Always watching removes that opportunity.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I
You can get little GPS trackers that tell your phone/computer where your guitar is. It would be fairly easy to conceal one in the guitar case.

Doesn't stop the theft, but makes recovery easier.
I recently saw some small tracking devices at Home Depot intended to keep track of ladders and such. It’s a little big for use on a guitar but could possibly be used in a case or a cabinet E9A04ED4-B59F-4249-AFA1-BE0C1034F0F7.jpeg

wyclif

Tele-Afflicted
You can get little GPS trackers that tell your phone/computer where your guitar is. It would be fairly easy to conceal one in the guitar case.

All the GPS trackers I've seen have been too big to be effectively hidden, but maybe I haven't kept up and there's something smaller and newer on the market. If you have any ideas, feel free to share.

The Tile is not a possibility because it's Bluetooth and not GPS.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire

A TRACKER INSET INTO THE BODY? bury in the crawl space under the house? sell it?

but then I'm the guy that wanted to put a claymore mines under the seats of motorcycles with a proximity fuse that activated 20 yards from where the bike was parked, but theirs the collateral damage the innocent civilians and the bike gets destroyed but, anyway.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
I usually have mine with me or very close to me. I also live in an area where most people are generally decent. That helps. I never take high dollar gear to a gig. The most expensive guitar I’ve ever gigged was 500 dollars and totally replaceable.

The guitar I gig with most, now… was about 250 dollars 10+ years ago. Only has sentimental value. Not much on the street. I like it that way. Cheap guitars rule. Sounds just fine plugged in, plays great.

security is leaving your expensive gear at home, never letting it leave your side at a gig, or literally taking out an insurance policy on it. Owning valuable gear is not a problem I have.

Last edited: