1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the mod that blew you out of the park?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 19sixty3, Dec 21, 2020.

1. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Can you describe the difference? I own a couple of CV Tele that are bone stock, but sound fantastic.

2. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

Some years ago, I put together a low-buck partscaster, the one in my avatar. It had a Tex-Mex neck pup and a generic Chinese bridge pu. It sounded muddy as hell no matter what amp and tone settings. Then I ran across what was called the '50s mod, not to be confused with the treble bleed. It consisted of removing one cap, (there were two) and moving one wire from one lug to another. I can't remember the specific cap or lugs.
    The difference was astounding. Open, clear, solid, with all the twang you can stand and bluesey warmth you can't imagine.
    Think of looking through a window covered with grime, then removing the window completely. It was that dramatic.
    A house fire took al my favorite guitars, including that one. Waahh.

19sixty3 likes this.
  3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

The Thinline always sounded, well, thin to me. I was contemplating using compensated saddles, bought a couple of sets, changed this one first.
    I did wind up putting them on my other Teles, which was an improvement in intonation, but the effect was nowhere near as dramatic.
    In a word: warmer.

brookdalebill, fjblair and 19sixty3 like this.
  4. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Thank you for the reply. Interestingly I bought the 50's the 60's and the Thinline, but sold the Thinline for the reason you describe. Still own the others.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The time I had the 7 1/2'' radius with vintage frets and a nice hump on the high frets on my Eseries strat re-radiused to a 12'', flattened and refretted with jumbo frets it was such an improvement, and I had some graphtec saddles installed instead of the stamped saddles on there and a graphtec nut put on there too at the same time. Suddenly I could bend wherever I wanted and I wasn't breaking strings and it would stay in tune, it was a revelation.

19sixty3 likes this.
  6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I sold my Thinline too, but it was to help finance a different purchase. My problem with it was the light weight, believe it or not, because it either neck dived or felt like it was going to fly away. A friend still owns it and he plays me a garage band track, now and again, so I get to hear it front and center from time to time.

19sixty3 and fjblair like this.
  7. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Its not so much a guitar I modded as it is one I stumbled upon at a pawn shop across the street from where I live. I saw it hanging there and thought it was probably a Mexican model (being in a pawn shop). It had one broken string so nobody was looking at it evidently. I wrote down the serial number and came home to research what it was.

Come to find out it was a 2018 Fender American Elite HSS Stratocaster. Then I saw the new listed prices on the Internet of around $1,800-ish... I screamed back over to the pawn shop and found out it had the original Elite case and all the paperwork. Plus the guitar was in supreme almost unused condition.

They were asking only $675 for it. Kah-ching... SOLD !!

It has a ton of switching on it as far as mods. It has your regular 5-way blade like most Strats, then it has an S1 switch in the volume control so your 5-way now has 5 more tones. Plus down by the tone control the HSS model has what Fender calls a "passing lane" push/push switch that bypasses the tone circuit and switches directly to the humbucker for yet an 11th tone.

It has an ebony FB, locking tuners, and solid steel saddles in a tremolo that seems to be an improved model over the normal Strat trem. It doesn't go out of tune when and if you dive bomb.

I just love this guitar.

The 2 single coil pups are both Noiseless, so they have a different tone/sound than regular Strat pups. They still have single coil bite, but with a slightly reduced treble, maybe a bit fatter lows and mids.

Here it is alongside my 2018 Fender Deluxe (MIM) Nashville Tele (which also has Noiseless pup, the outside 2 are Tele style, the middle pup is a Strat type pup).

DSCF1165---sm.jpg

Here's a shot of the front from the Fender website:

American Elite Stratocaster HSS - 01.jpg

The color is called "olympic pearl" with a tortoiseshell PG

8. beachbreak

beachbreak Tele-Meister

Lowering the neck HB pickup on my Fat Tele and raising the pole pieces a bit.

Reduced the volume and clearer tone to balance with the SD Broadcaster bridge PU when switch is in the middle position.

19sixty3 likes this.
  9. brittwin

brittwin Tele-Meister

I installed a set of Bardens in my ‘18 Fender 50s Roadworn Tele.

19sixty3 likes this.
  10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This is so true!
    If I were recording a lot, some of the crazy wiring mods I've done might have been helpful. But as a live performance player, all those choices just get in the way!

I even went to extremes when I hand built a Ric 380L. The Ric has 5 confusing knobs on it that are essentially useless on stage.
    My 380L handles much more easily and effectively. I just love simplicity!

00001 angle whole.jpg 380L.jpg

brookdalebill, 19sixty3 and Addnine like this.
  11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Changing the 3 saddle bridge to a 6 saddle bridge on my American Performer Tele.

20200825_194924.jpg

19sixty3 likes this.
  12. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

For a Tele - the 4-way switch. Why on earth isn't this standard equipment on a Telecaster in 2021? It's a completely invisible mod, doesn't impact the stock 3 switch positions or their tone, and adds an entirely different tonal option. And all you have to do is replace the switch and add a ground wire to the neck pickup cover.

Some people don't like it - and that's fine because like I said, all the regular 3-way options are still there and unaffected. I personally love the series tone for certain applications - it's the perfect lead or solo tone. Gives that little bump in volume and thickness. I don't know why Fender hasn't made it stock on any of their Tele models.

Apothecarius likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

1/4" thick brass ferrule block, liked it enough that I'm having one installed in another guitar... Pics in 2021 if I get my guitar back this year...

14. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

Fitting this neck pickup which I took from a Sunn Mustang Indian made Strat...sound brilliant! 20201116_110218.jpg

15. dsayanp

dsayanp TDPRI Member

Hey ya!

I gonna place my question right here :)
    Something has been bugging me about varitone stompboxes.
    Your axe already comes with a cap. Once the signal reaches the box, won't any cap value you choose add up to the cap value in your guitar?
    So if your tele has a 0.47uf, you wont be able to go lower than 0.47uf using any varitone stompbox?

Is this correct?

16. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

Putting a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in my American Original 60s. 0CC6C353-D695-46A1-8BF0-D6B81D6C3193.jpeg

17. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

PeeGoo, I am soooo,, stealing your cartridge/string-tree idea!!!!

:cool::cool::) Thanks!!!!!! RM

18. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

To me, it was installing a thin metal low shoulder stamped bridge with brass saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.