1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the LOUDEST THING you've ever heard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by THX1123, Apr 5, 2020.

1. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Me: J Mascis, Dinosaur Jr, at the Connecticut St Armory in Buffalo April 1993 is the LOUDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD or EXPERIENCED.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The explosion of Mount St Helens in 1980. I was frying bacon on a nice morning on my boat ~150 miles away. It was so loud it shook the boat.

3. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I saw Jimmie Vaughan back in the 90's at McMinneman's in (I believe) Troutdale, OR. It was an outdoor show and they had huge stacks on the sides of the stage. I managed to make my way all the way to the front and stood right in front of one of the huge stacks for a lot of the concert. I'm pretty sure that I did permanent damage to my left ear. I don't have tinitus, but my left ear, a lot of the time, feels like there is water in it.

4. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

My Bloody Valentine

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

10 Vulcan ADA cannons firing simultaneously at the Todendorf training range on the Baltic shore of Germany.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

.357 Mag, about a foot directly opposite my left ear. My eardrum burst and I've had tinnitus since.

Otherwise, Space Shuttle launches...they were extraordinarily loud even from 4mi away.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Had a guy do a negligent discharge about 3' away from me with his M16 when I was in the Army and I didn't have my plugs in.

Concert-wise, Van Halen on the Women and Children First tour. My ears rang for days afterward.

Deathray and tah1962 like this.
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Cheap Trick concert in 1979, shortly after their Dream Police album came out.

9. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Smashing Pumpkins at Mohegan Sun 2008 was pretty loud. So was Muse last year in Boston. Loudest I think I remember (it might have been where we were sitting) might have been Brian Setzer at Foxwoods three or four years ago, I remember my ears ringing all the way home. Which really shocked me, amazing concert though :)

tah1962 likes this.
  10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

The loudest things that I have ever heard were particular moments of silence . I won't bother to elaborate .

11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I got to light up a jeep at 300m with one of those when I was 16...at White Sands, NM. There were 7 in the battery...Dad asked the Sgt if I could 'expend' a few rounds after the test. I did over 1700 (in seconds). I don't think my feet touched the ground again for a week.

Vulcan.jpg

12. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

The recreation in Flanders Field Museum, Ypres, Belgium, of a shell going off right next to me in the WW1 trenches -- and the reminder that back then this could go on all day and night.

Shango66 and Torren61 like this.
  13. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Probably a top fuel dragster launch.
    First 60 ft or so, up close and personal. (I've had shirts stained by the exhaust)
    It is the only thing I can think of that causes the experience of clearly exceeding the hearings capacity. You just "feel" the rest.

14. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Hiwatt)

15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Me, right in front of the speaker column for The Clash at an outdoor concert back in the 80s.

tubegeek likes this.
  16. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

being in the near vicinity when a Hydrogen fired Platformer in a gasoline refinery blew up. it was 22ft tall, 12ft around and weighed several tons. and when they found what was left it was a quarter of a mile from where it started.

Mad Kiwi and Moriarty like this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Motorhead

What did I win?

18. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Edgar Broughton Band playing Out Demons Out, Wake Arms Epping Essex around 1972.

Sorry that's very niche, but if you were in that part of the world back then you'd know!! The volume made me feel totally nauseous, assisted by the other stuff we were doing:confused:.

trouserpress and aging_rocker like this.
  19. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Music wise ? Megadeth. Other than that, it was standing 10 feet away from a jet dragster while he was popping the afterburner.

John Nicholas likes this.
  20. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Van Hagar around 2004-ish ... the last time I ever went to a concert without ear protection ... great show, though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.