What is the greatest boom town of all time over one decade?

peteb

Friend of Leo's
I frequently look at the demographics for cities on Wikipedia.

doesn’t every body?

I think I know what city was the greatest boom town over one decade, but I can’t verify because there are too many cities to check.

I may check every NFL town just to get a feel for how different areas of the US compare.

The town or city is going to have to have at least 1000% population gain over one decade. The population would have had to multiply by 10 over 10 years.

what is the highest of all time, and what city is it?

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Depends on type of boom, I guess. Traditionally, that meant that at some point there would be bust.

In terms of population growth only, though, I would wager a tight game between Phoenix, North Dallas/Ft. Worth, Charlotte, NC, and Orlando, FL.

EDIT: With the exception of Florida, we're talking about a LOT of displaced Californians. :D

Last edited:

OlRedNeckHippy

Friend of Leo's
Phoenix was small(ish) when I moved out there in 1978. Only pro sport was basketball.
There were orange groves between Phoenix and Scottsdale. The horse track up on Bell Road was out in the desert. We were hunting doves and quail behind the Arabian horse stables at Bell and Scottsdale roads.

By 1998, there were no more orange groves in the valley. All were consumed by housing developments. The city had stretched way north of Bell Road. The Arabian stables were gone.
It was a solid sea of humanity from Apache Junction to Sun City West.

I left there in 2000. Had experienced all the urban sprawl I could handle.

Moved to South Jersey to help my parents out of this world.

I now live in an area where I see deer, geese, and turkeys almost every day. Hunt geese in cut corn fields that are less than 5 miles from home. Stop and pick a few ears of the best sweet corn on earth on my way home from work when the season is rite (I know the farmer). I am "rural".

So my vote for the Boom Town, is Phoenix (the entire valley though). Early 80's to early 90's.
At one point, I read (yup, in a newspaper), that there were approximately 30,000 people moving into the valley a month. 30 Thousand a month! Yikes!

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Last edited:

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
Maybe some of the Oklahoma land rush towns:

By the end of the day (April 22, 1889), both Oklahoma City and Guthrie had become cities of around 10,000 people each. As Harper's Weekly reported:
At twelve o'clock on Monday, April 22d, the resident population of Guthrie was nothing; before sundown it was at least ten thousand. In that time streets had been laid out, town lots staked off, and steps taken toward the formation of a municipal government.[31]

Land Rush of 1889 - Wikipedia

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
By "population" do you mean "inside the city limits" or do we mean "having a postal address, whether or not inside the city limits?" The latter meaning the dreaded urban sprawl that OldRedNeckHippy was referring to, with its stop-and-go traffic and no alternate routes between point A and point B.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I frequently look at the demographics for cities on Wikipedia.

doesn’t every body?

I think I know what city was the greatest boom town over one decade, but I can’t verify because there are too many cities to check.

I may check every NFL town just to get a feel for how different areas of the US compare.

The town or city is going to have to have at least 1000% population gain over one decade. The population would have had to multiply by 10 over 10 years.

what is the highest of all time, and what city is it?

Dunno ...... Deadwood?