What is the Dumbest or Oddest Thing Anyone has Said to Your Band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was asked once "Why did you play that song?". No come back for that one.
    I was asked once "Why did you play that song like that?" Got up from the table and walked off.

Freebird was requested and we played it and killed it. Only about 20 people in the audience. I didn't know you could actually dance to that song.

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Outdoor gig....I am rocking a Lil Dawg Pug 18 watter...outdoors, repeat, outdoors and unmic’d.
    An elderly dude walks right up to one of the mains, scowls and while we are in the middle of a song starts shouting at the band “you are exactly 3 decibels too loud.”

No, he didn’t have a dB meter.

kookaburra likes this.
  3. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Ha!

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'd never thought of that! Those things (harmonicas) must be like Petri dishes.

klkampman, troy2003 and kookaburra like this.
  5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My band back in college was an '80s new-wave kind of thing. We started playing frat parties and progressed to bars around the colleges and in the 'burbs. Then we got a gig at a place farther away than our usual haunts. Somebody, somehow had booked us skinny-tie-wearing, new-wavey types into an honest-to-goodness biker bar. We made the best of it: de-emphasized the Duran Duran, Missing Persons and Cindi Lauper, and concentrated instead on the Journey, Benatar, and Pretenders. I probably threw in an impromptu version of "Tush", left over from my earlier high school band. All in all, we were pulling it off better than expected when we first walked through the door.

One of the most notable bar patrons was a very large gentleman named (according to the embroidery on the back of his sleeveless denim vest, "MAIN SPOKE". Sometime during the third set (which comprised a lot of songs from the first set, as we were running short of material after jettisoning much of the skinny-tie crap) Main Spoke suddenly bellowed over the background bar noise, "PLAY SUMPTHIN' SLOW SO I CAN DANCE WITH MY WO-MAN!!!". Our singer, a nice catholic girl from the 'burbs was a bit taken aback, but we must have come up with something since we survived to tell the tale. Mr. Spoke's words were immortalized in band lore, and were one of the first tales re-told when we got together for our 25th reunion in 2009.

This thread is ostensibly about things that were said to us, but the funniest thing that night was something Main Spoke did, rather than said. At the end of the evening, he hoisted his wo-man off the floor, slung her upside-down over his shoulder, and proceeded to head for home. It was very caveman-esque, but chivalry was not dead. On the way out the door, he stopped so she could buy cigarettes from one of those old drop-in-the-coins-and-then-pull-the-handle vending machines. This she did, while still hanging upside-down over her man's shoulder. Once she had her new pack of smokes firmly in hand, she gave the OK and Main Spoke went on his way, destined no doubt for an evening of romance.

Fiesta Red, kafka, TigerG and 7 others like this.
  6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Mary Chapin-Carpenter actually brought this one up when I saw her last October!

7. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Rockabilly band, in about "71 at a Moose Club, "Can you guys play IN A GADDA DA VIDA"?

(Heck I can't even pronounce it)

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Great thread.
    I am just moved to point out that Dolly Parton's recording of her song, slowed down, which should reveal any weaknesses, sounds fantastic!
    What a talent!

Maricopa and brookdalebill like this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the slow version of funnel of love is also fantastic.

10. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Someone once came up to me half way through my 60s psychedelic band's gig and said "what about doing some Showaddywaddy?"

11. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

"Can you do the national anthem in slow jazz style?"

12. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

One time this lady came to my show and loved it.She was visiting Texas from California.Several months later she was back in town and came to see us play again.We were having a really great show with the very enthused crowd eating out of the palm of my hand...the bar was packed with drinking and dancing patrons and we killed it in tips.The next day she writes me a bizarre message on FB.She asks me if I have a drug problem and if I needed help(???).I responded no...other than a few beers and a joint I don't do any hard drugs or alcohol.She then responds by saying she didn't like the shirt I was wearing...it wasn't pure white and looked like it was washed with dark clothing and makes me look like a junkie who takes no pride in his appearance!!The shirt is actually light gray and not white in the first place.She said people are watching me performing and I should take notice of such details and that she was very disappointed with the show as a result.I responded that I play Blues and Rock n Roll...it's not a damn fashion show and that if she is that shallow to dislike a show for such a silly reason then she is the one with a problem.I told her the conversation is absurd and I then blocked her on FB.I'd rather look like a bum Rocker like Lemmy or Bon Scott rather than some pretty boy fashion model.Some people are just clueless!!!

13. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

We're not pros by any stretch, but my band has played some fundraiser gigs for local causes to pretty positive reviews. After a 400-seat sold out night where most folks danced for most of the sets, I had a lady say to me: "Just because lots of people are dancing doesn't mean the band's any good."

14. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

A few I recall

a drunk chick asked us to play summer of 69 which we didn't know, see said can you do it Acapulco meaning a capella :)

many times people (mostly drunkish) ask if they can play my guitar - I always say sure of you go buddy - then watch them try to figure out how to play my left handed guitar ;) I've even had guys in my band ask to do the same :lol:

20 years ago in a green room with Mr Big, I advised Billy Sheehan to keep practising, he wasn't pleased, so in fairness I can be a complete ***** too

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

"you can't trust people. people voted for the nazis and like coldplay".

16. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

"We want you to come back."

17. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I have a story about the stupidest thing my friend’s band said (band name withheld on purpose) years ago.
    They were in Mexico in their bus on tour. An older woman was walking towards the bus. Three of the guys started cat calling and insulting her. They made fun of her age and size. You could imagine the other things they said. The fourth guy said “hey guys, that’s my mom.” The guys busted up laughing and kept up with their comments. Until the lady got on the bus and hugged her son. It turns out she hadn’t seen him since he left Mexico a few years before. He told her about the tour and she surprised him by showing up one show before she was supposed to. My friend said they all apologized and learned a lesson that day. The last time I mentioned it to him he stills feels disgusted with himself.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Weirdest request was, 'Uneasy Rider' by CDB. I said, "That's like an 8 minute story song with banjos and stuff in it man, sorry but nobody knows that one." He comes back with, "Yeah but it's a really good song." I agreed.

19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago, after playing a function and being paid up front, the person asked us while we were
    packing up who to make the check out to. (He was drunk and the place burned down overnight.)

20. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

A guy in a suit comes up to us at the end of a gig and says, "I'm from XYZ Records - we'd like you to come to the studio for an audition".

OK, so it was 1967............

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.