What Is The Deal Getting An Expedited Passport?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Agave_Blue, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

:confused:

My daughter needs to expedite a passport renewal. It has to be done in person because she's going from an expired passport as a minor and renewing as an adult.

She has photos, forms, etc. all complete and just needs to, basically, drop it all off and pay.

No passport office in the area has an open appointment until April. :ugh:

I know people get new or renewed passports expedited all the time (for an additional fee).

FWIW, my other daughter did the same a thing a few months ago and didn't have to go through all this trouble. She did the paperwork, photos, etc, walked in and, voila, Passport shows up a few week later.

:confused:

Does anyone know how to get this type of renewal expedited?

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Call your congressman (person).

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

A company I was in used 'expedited passport' services all the time. $100 or so.

Last minute meetings, etc...gets walked through. STandard operating procedure, especially when they say 60-90 days (can) be expected
    in normal cases.. that may have changed ..

4. Agave_Blue

Sorry, not sure if this is tongue-in-cheek or not.

Will this really help?

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Better chance of it helping if you're a voter but really depends on the congressman (and his staff who'll do the actual work).

6. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

I believe there's a way to go to the passport office in DC and pretty much get one in 48 hours.

A friend of mine got tickets to the Zeppelin show in England at the last minute and had to go to DC but got a passport in less than a week, so it's possible.

7. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

My BIL got his passport same-day in DC.

8. Agave_Blue

There are few places with a Passport Agency (DC is one, ATL, several others). There is NO Passport Agency convienent to my daughters location.

There are only "Acceptance Facilities" locally.

9. Agave_Blue

The "Acceptance Facilities" are Post Office locations.

There is not ONE PO Passport facility within 50 miles of her location that accepts walk-ins. I called several of the larger offices - not ONE SINGLE office answered the phone. This was between about 2:30 and 3:30 PM. I re-dialed several times. Not ONE SINGLE answer.

So I called the Congressional office for my district. They got her wait-listed at an office near her, found information on a no-appointment-necessary 'Passport Day' that occurs in a few weeks and where that would occur locally. They will also call her local Congress-person's office to set it up so that Congressional office will mail the expedited request to the Passport Agency (which saves time even on 'normal' expedited service).

10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Our US Senator got my family our passports expedited and overnighted when nothing else would work (they had been delayed for weeks).

They came three hours before our international flight.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Look up passport services online. You can Fed-ex them your info overnight and they will expidite for a fee. I've used a local service in Houston as we have a passport office here. Here is one I found online. Cost is usually around $100. Post offices can handle it as well but not expidited. I think Amex can help you if you have a card, part of their travel services. They will also recommend a agency that takes their card. The others do as well.

http://www.rushmypassport.com/passport-renewal.html?gclid=CMzQ86GGpq4CFWm-tgodQxJ3Pw

12. Agave_Blue

Can't do it. Has to be an "in person" application; they have to witness a signature on some document or another.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

The bolded bullet is NOT true in this case, hence she must apply in person.

13. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

14. Agave_Blue

Atlanta is 7 hours. DC is about 5 or so. Those are both one way.

It'd be faster to drive home (3 hours) and process it at the Post Office here (where they allow walk-ins :rolleyes: ).

Seems to me a larger metro area should have at least one Post Office Passport facility that allows walk-ins. The GMSA were talking about is about 2,000,000 residents; it's not Topeka or Fargo.

No offense to anyone from Topeka or Fargo. I'm just saying bigger numbers => bigger demand.

15. Morty76

Morty76 Tele-Meister

deleted

16. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

That's why everyone should have a valid passport and keep it current. I've had one for a long time and it's come in handy on occasion. If you don't have one, get one now because you never know.
    -Mr. N.

17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like someone waited until the last minute . There is a price to be paid when this is done . Unless it is a business thing , things requiring a passport rarely sneak up on anyone . The good part is that the minor/adult thing will be past forever after this .
    Good luck .
    I made sure that my passport was renewed before the old one expired .
    When is the passport required for usage ?

18. Agave_Blue

Ehhh, kind of but not really.

On the one hand, we could've gotten a renewal at any time and never did. So in that sense you're right.

On the other hand she had/has other items that have to occur before she can even apply to the program/foreign school. She can't get a Visa until she is accepted.

She doesn't need it for travel until this Summer. But she has to get a Student Visa before that.

We did find a location just outside the 50 miles search range that takes walk-in's M-F 8AM - 4PM.

:eek:, almost like a regular business. :confused:

19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

An appointment?

I went to my post office with the forms and pictures necessary. I didn't even have a passport (expired or unexpired) previously, and walked right up to the counter, gave them my completed documents, and paid the $75 or whatever it was. My passport arrived in less than 3 weeks.

I didn't need any sort of appointment. Seems surprising to me you'd need that in a city the size of Charlotte NC.

20. Agave_Blue

Yes!! I've done that. My other daughter did that about 2 months ago. Just the same as you.

But where my other daughter is (a few hours from Charlotte) NONE of the metro area Acceptance Facilities (mostly Post Offices) allow walk-in's - at least none within a 50 mile search radius.

As I mentioned in my previous post, we did find a place just beyond that 50-mile range that operates like they don't mind having customers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.