What is the BIGGEST challenge You're facing booking gigs for your band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Rockerfeller, Oct 18, 2019.

What is the BIGGEST challenge You're facing booking gigs for your band?

1. There's nobody in the band that's really good at doing it

24.4%
  2. We want to get out of bars and book better paying gigs (corporate, private party etc)

13.3%
  3. Don't know who to contact or reach out to.

17.8%
  4. Learning how to book more concert in the park type of events

6.7%
  5. Some other issue...

62.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

The most prevalent issue I've come across is bone-idle promoters.

That's the guy who expects your band to promote his gig (I'm fine with that in itself), but then he does virtually nothing about it himself.

C'mon, the clue is in your job title, "promoter"! Get out there and "promote". Do I turn up to your gig, hand you my Tele and ask you to play my songs for me? Exactly!

I used to set up and promote gigs for a while and I would work my arse off promoting them: fliers in pubs, posters in every shop window, social media, newspaper ads, magazine gig listings, word of mouth, street-teams, everything!

And these days most of these 'promoters' can't be bothered to get up off their armchair.

It makes my p155 boil. Can you tell? o_O

Rockerfeller likes this.
  2. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Blues bands seem passé, old, white, and tired. Describes the RiffKats quite accurately.

Last wedding I went to was all 80s covers played in front of a giant video screen. The band was very tight as they synced along with MTV videos of the Cure, Tommy Tutone, Katrina and the Waves, Madonna, U2, and the wacky Norwegian duo.

Every city seems to have plenty of Dead Tributes.

Who wants to hear me emulate the three Kings, Elvin, Bloomers, Buddy Guy, Jessie Ed Davis, Duane? Maybe other guitarists in their 60s.

Our new singer was in a cover band that played what appeared to be the standard FM radio playList with four hours of songs you can hear repeated every day all across the US.

3. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

That is one of the challenges! If you want to play more corporate /private party gigs you have to play music that people are willing to pay for. Now, an older couple in their 50's might dig a blues band for their wedding. But the 25 year old kids? Not really. The average age of today's bride is about 27 years old. She grew up listening to Taylor (Swift not James) and that kind of stuff!

We do lots of weddings but we don't do any of that kind of stuff. But we only have one SRV song on the playlist and it's by request only!

4. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Biggest challenge is that it is becoming a job, and sometimes I just don't feel like playing. Three hours of playing music when you aren't into it is really hard. I go through periods of just not booking because I don't feel like it. Other times, I'll play out a couple times a week. Our booking depends on how I'm feeling about playing, not on any outside challenges. I'm lucky to have a cool and understanding bandmate, he shows up when/if I'm ready and never complains.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

There's usually only four weekends a month.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Rockerfeller likes this.
  6. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

competing with other local bands for the opening slots for touring bands. being in a narrow field musically doesn't help.

in a perfect world all those shows would be fests and we'd all get to play.

8. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

9. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Venues want more and more from a band in terms of promotion and bringing and audience, yet do less promotion and want to pay less than 20 years ago!

10. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

'What is the BIGGEST challenge You're facing booking gigs for your band?'

Our bass player's wife. Apparently, she threw a cow when she saw the gig diary on her fridge. Myself and another band member usually get the gigs. After the latest discussion about the number of gigs booked for next year, and how to limit them, he sent me a private message with two more booked. He said that he'd let the others know about them when the dust settles a bit. Hahaha. He also said that the occasional weekend off in the summer would give us the chance to go the shore/restaurant/park with our partners. I told him to let me know how it went. I just want to gig all the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.