What is the best way to use these strip sockets?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by SixShooter, Nov 27, 2013.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

2. Jake's Dad

Jake's Dad TDPRI Member

I saw a post in the Guitar PCB forums about cutting a strip to fit the holes in the board then pushing all but the first and last pins out. I didn't have much luck the first time I tried it but that may just be me. Trying to solder single pins is a PITA but can be done.

I keep a small hardwood block on my bench to use as a base when I cut these things with an Xacto knife - seems to give more clean, consistent results than trying to break them or using wire cutters.

Chuck

3. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I've done it both way, but using individual pieces is sure more economic.

I'll break them by hand in groups of 3 for transistors but if I need individual ones I'll use those nail clippers, just be careful when doing it because one of the socket pieces will go flying to the other side of the room once it gets clipped. Make sure you solder them to the board first or right after soldering possible links (if you're using vero, that is). Having taller components on the board will make it kind of a pain to keep these things in place while you solder.

4. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

For single, two or three pins I will use a chunk of that blue tack that people use to put posters on a wall. Works great. I use it for almost all components cause it holds them in place and I don't have to bend over leads, etc. makes de soldering a snap if the need arises.
    It also holds the board very securely as you solder.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

5. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

I haven't had much luck with those things. I always end up splitting the black plastic and ending up with just the metal. Don't over use them, after a few component swaps they start to get loose and won't make a good socket.

6. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

This is my first project, but I have read the recommendation to install the shortest/smallest components first for this this reason. I think the resistors may be lower than the sockets.

Nice tip- thanks

Maybe you didn't have a clean cut on the plastic? I'll keep in mind the overuse factor. Thanks.

7. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

If you know your build will have all the resistors laying flat on the board it's ok to install the sockets after them. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.