What is the best tube amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rock on, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

Some questions

How loud do you wanna be?

How much do you wanna pay?

How much do you want to buy new versus used?

You can get a decent used tube amp for about two bills if you look hard, but probably not more than 15 watts. Plenty for practice, small gigs. I used a Pro Junior for gigging and did fine with it, micing it when/if needed.

If you want loud, you need to graduate to 30W or more, and be ready to shell out more $.

2. telecaster69

telecaster69 Tele-Meister

try the Marshal DSL 201 or 401..the difference the 401 is louder...1x12 40 tube watts...it cranks....easy to carry around

3. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

Soldano...... I really like the Peavey 5150 also. Dirt, dirt ,dirt...I really like to play in the dirt!

4. WrapAround

WrapAround Tele-Holic

Go with a 50W Marshall made in the mid to late 60's. One of those would be the most ideal. Alternatively, you can get one of the Blockhead amps.

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

IF I could only have ONE AMP....
    It'd be a Fender Twin Reverb.
    There's a goshdarn heckuva good reason why
    Twin Reverbs have been around for so long....
    And it ain't the weight.

6. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

boss metal zone and ibanez tube screamer 808 or 9 model...and with the peavey you have it all...want to have more volume? then mic it!!

in the old days, one would have to get the fender twin reverb for the clean "channel" and a marshall stack or half stack for the dirty channel with those celestion speakers screaming out a janis joplin vibe to the gods
    :D

7. dreamer

dreamer TDPRI Member

I have owned several amps over the years including a Fender Blackface Vibrolux. However the best amp I have come across that is handmade, relatively inexpensive and has the best array of sounds without having to use an overdrive pedal is a ValveTech amp.

He makes he origninal ValveTech (which I own), amp heads and a Vox clone. He lets you pick out what color tolex and grill cloth you want. Where you want the knobs and what type of speakers. All in all I paid $1000 for a 25 watt 2x10 handmade amp.

The downside is it took 4 months to get, but I can get any sound I want and any sound you describe out of it easily.

The web site is www.valvetechamps.com

The best part is you can pick up the phone and call Rob or shoot him an email and he replys the same day. This is much unlike the big guys.

When he shipped my amp the tubes were not working properly, he and I had a few conversations on the phone, finally he told me to buy replacement tubes and he shot me money to pay for the tubes.

Any updates or repairs to his amps are free of charge you just have to pay for shipping, this is for the life of the amp.

You cannot find any on ebay

In my opinion the best amp dollar for dollar out there now.

8. "S.P.U.N."

"S.P.U.N." Former Member

There are plenty of good tube amps out there, but I love the Marshalls. They seem to have a very distinct sound and feel I have not found anywhere else.

9. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

If you want to cover that many styles I'd go for a Deluxe Reverb with an overdrive pedal. For the ultimate distortion I'd recommend a Marshall plexi, the ultimate chime/crunch a Vox, the ultimate R&B roots sound a Tweed Deluxe, and the ultimate clean a Twin.

10. sixty4fairlane

sixty4fairlane Tele-Meister

Peavey Classic 30 for overdriven or a 50 for good headroom and overdrive. I haven't been wanting anything else since I got mine.

11. Chris Callahan

Chris Callahan Tele-Holic

I can't figure it out. The grass is always greener. I mean the best tube amp is always the one I'm not playing through. I've been using a little homebrew amp (el84 SE) or an Epi Valve Jr (Seems to be commonly reviled on this site) with a power attenuator at home. I need the most volume at practice and I'll commonly go through a Fender Twin. On stage I've been trying Tweed Deluxes, Devilles and Bassmans (oh, and a Carr Hammerhead) and they always seem overpowered or underpowered. My bass player suggested that perhaps I don't like the sound of the electric guitar :) I guess what I'm trying to say is; all I want to know in the world is what is the best tube amp and the more I learn the further I get from the answer!

12. bk913

bk913 TDPRI Member

Gotta agree with Johhny Crash. I've been playing a '96 Tele Amstd thru a Peavey Classic 50 for 10 years. Clean or Nasty, it does it all. I used to mess with effects, not any more. straight in and straight out. Still using the orignal tubes. The peavy classic 50 is a beast. Set all knobs to 10 except treble and pres.., click on the lead setting, and hold on. No matter where i play people always comment on the sound of the Tele thru the Peavey C50.

13. CrazyHeart

CrazyHeart TDPRI Member

If I had to pick just one inexpensive tube amp to own ... it would be a Fender Deluxe Reverb.You can get a used one pretty cheap. With a couple of good pedals (keeley, Barber, Xotic, Fulltone) you get get just about any sound you want.

Volume is good enough for stage. It will start to break up at around 6, which is good. Great for small clubs. Any where bigger, put a mike in front of it.

If money is not a problem.. look at some of the Carr Amps. Bigger and more power is not always better. It's better to have a 20 watt amp that you can hit the "sweet" spot, than have a 100 watt and never be able to turn it higher than 2, the 20 watt will sound better.

I use a Carr Rambler, 28 watts. I have played gigs with 2000+ at football stadiums, rodeos, and Speedways. In the summer my band will only accept outside gigs. I just put a mic in front of it, and have the sound engineer turn me up to whatever volume I need in my monitor.

I have found it better to find a good tube amp, with a good clean sound and build on it. It's cheaper to buy a pedal that a new amp for every sound you want. The quality of pedals today are really awesome

Good Luck
    Jim:)

14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I've never changed the subject of a thread before, but how did I miss the news that Johnny Crash is back?! Is he? Was I sleeping? Wow ... welcome back, man. And yeah, Peaveys rock hard. Sorry to interrupt. Going back to sleep now.

15. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

JC isn't back -- check the dates on the posts. This old thread got bumped by a newbie.

(Welcome, Jim, BTW. :p )

- Scott

16. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

hooo-boy- here we go again.....:rolleyes:

17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Right you are, Ken... er, Scott. The 2006 looked like a 2008 without my reading glasses. Getting old sucks, man. Back to the subject of Christmas, what I want in my stocking is Johnny comes back and everything gets back to normal and all will be right with the world.
    Where did this thread come from, the bottom of the archive? Well, it was a cool dream, carry on. zzzzzzzzzz

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.