What is the best speaker for a 65 Vibro Champ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ExileXXX, May 31, 2011.

1. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

So wait, you guys have pretty much sold me on that Weber, but what about the original vintage JBL speaker that came with the Vibro Champ?

If I get my hands on one of those, will that sound the best of all? How would it compare to the Weber 8a125 o ?

2. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

The JBL is probably a 8 or 16 ohm speaker,
    so it's a mis-match anyway as the Vibro Champ is the 3.2 ohm output tranny.

Using a 8 or 16 ohm speaker when it's a 3.2 ohm OT will sound like Donk.

Did you measure the JBL to see how many ohms it is?

3. JuSteve

JuSteve Former Member

FYI,

Before I installed my Weber Ceramic Sig8 I tested it with my fluke. Dead on at 3.2 ohms. Sounds fine and assume a 10" would sound better, but I wanted things as close to 70's stock as possible.

4. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

10" Baffle w/Jensen P10R 4 ohm Speaker in Vibro Champ !

Here is a 1965 Vibro Champ with the 10" Baffle in it,
    has the Jensen P10R 4 ohm Speaker, great tone in a small amp.

The Speaker fits tight, so be sure to lay the speaker in there to make sure
    it's going to fit. About 1/8" to 3/16" Space on the 3 sides will do fine.

The Weber Speakers do sound better then the Jensen, but the Jensen is
    good enough if your pinching pennies.

[​IMG]

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Are there any sound clips posted of your vibro champ with 10" in it? I'd sure like to
    hear a side by side comparison. I would consider doing this. I would be curious to hear
    the difference in how the bass knob interacts.

6. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Keith,

That amp is deep in the pile. Been a long time since I have played it.
    I can remember the bass is much deeper and the overall tone is amazing,
    I did not think it would change anything over an 8" speaker, but it did!

If you really play the VC a lot, I would recommend a Weber 10F100 or 10F125.

No sound clips for the VC.

Jump for Joy, the VC will love it.

7. Finnlozada

Finnlozada Tele-Meister

How about learning chords before modding your perfectly decent stock equipment ? I'm really not trying to be mean, but it really sounds like you think you're some rockstar who's playing MSG every weekend & want the best tone you could possibly get . Golden tones won't make your playing any better .

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Deep in the pile??? Abandoned! :neutral: You may as well dig it out, and sell it to me.
    Yes I play my SFVC a lot. I don't really want to modify it but I think this is
    easily reversible. Maybe you'll see just the baffle and speaker? :D

9. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Keith,

Thanks for the kind words, I will see if the amp is reachable when I go to the studio.

It's not even a permanent mod. You simply remove the 4 screws to the baffle and remove the original baffle. Then install the new baffle and mark the new holes with a thin nail or Awl through the four holes in the cleats. Pre-drill the new baffle with a smaller size drill bit than the screws and screw the screws into the new baffle with the baffle flat on the table not inside the amp. Once you have the holes 'tapped' and ready install the baffle and screw the screws in the new baffle. I found that Fender Drilled the holes in the same locations on the cleats, they must have used a jig to drill the holes.

I ended up using a Tweed Princeton and I made a 12" Baffle for it w/Weber 12F125 3.2 ohm speaker, that's one of my bedroom amps. The 12" speaker just fits into the Tweed Princeton 'big box Princeton'.

The Vibro Champ was my first amp when I was in Jr. High, I had so much fun with that amp.

In my spare time now I am restoring an old 57 tweed Twin amp, I'm still stripping the old contact cement the last person who re-covered the amp used. The nice thing is I can use a zip-strip paint stripper on the inside cab area that the small 1.5 to 2" sections where the tweed wraps into the inside cab parts. The stripper does not remove the original stain, just the contact cement. After I apply the stripper I use a putty knife blade to simply blade it off, then I neutralize it with vinegar and water wipe with a damp towel. It wipes off all the old glue. Contact cement is the worst glue to use on tweed.

The cab is almost ready for the sanding sealer, then the new tweed. I use wallpaper paste to apply the new tweed. Works great.

In pursuit of perfection,

In

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Tone that inspires makes you want to play. Tone that sucks, doesn't. The more you play the better you get. I took 20 years off playing to go chase tone. Found tone, now I play better! Imagine that!

My $.02: You haven't heard a Champ until you hear one through a '62 Oxford 6"x9". :lol:

11. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

No.

The original speakers in '60s Champs are nothing special at all. I replaced mine with a Weber, much better.

12. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Original JBL in a Champ?? Never seen that - but I'd love it!

13. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

I'm satisfied with the re-issue Jensen (made in Italy) AlNiCo speaker in my '68 Vibro Champ. The Vibro Champ is as toneful as my Carmen Ghia, but smaller, lighter and..it's a sentimental favorite.

14. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

This quote is from the Weber website. Can anyone tell me why it won't fit, and what to look for in my VC to see if it will fit? Mine is dated December 1965. Thanks.

15. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I'm not positive, but I think Weber is referring to the brief period (early '64?) when Fender hadn't redesigned the tweed Champ circuit yet and just used the new black Tolex and silver grillcloth cosmetics that were on their truly new models to make the amp look "newer". There was a short run of brown circuit Princetons with which Fender did the same thing.

My best guess is that it fits your Champ because a '65 should be the newer model with a larger cabinet and the forward facing chassis. You could shoot them an email to be sure, but I do believe that they are referring to the tweeds that were in blackface clothing.

16. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

"Late 1964 transformers but the date chart puts it at an early 65. Not at all uncommon for these amps to have parts a little older than the production code, and it has Fender Electric Instruments still on the faceplate I think which changed to Fender Musical Instruments in 1965 sometime. So probably built before the Jan 1 65 takeover by CBS. "

The seller's words on how old this amp is. So will the Weber speaker even fit in this amp?

17. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

Your Champ has the forward facing controls with the bass and treble pots like in Inventour's photo above, correct? I'm pretty sure that all of the Weber 8" speakers will fit into that version. I know I had one of the non-Sig series Alnico Webers in my old one and didn't have any issues. I think it even had the magnet bell cover.

As I mentioned above, and as Inventour showed in his pic of a tweed Champ chassis higher up in the post, Fender made a tweed Champ in early '64 that they simply dressed up with blackface cosmetics, but everything else was still the old amp. This is the one that I think Weber is referring to as "early blackface" Champs. They still only had a volume control and the knob faced up. If you took off the upper back panel you could see all of the guts of the chassis instead of just the 2" high silver lip with the black info plate on it. Those tweed versions (with black Tolex) still have the transformers facing the speaker baffle instead of hanging downward.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  18. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Correct, except that the tweed champ (and the black tolex version of the same) had no tone control. Just a volume pot/on-off switch in one.

19. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I was just coming back to edit my posts. I always confuse it with the Princeton because I'd like to snag or build a 5F2.

20. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

What impedence do I want? and does the type of dust cover matter?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.