What is the best speaker for a 65 Vibro Champ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ExileXXX, May 31, 2011.

1. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

I got one used and it came with a replaced speaker, an Eminence.

Should I swap that out for something else? What's the best speaker you can but for one of these things?

What would Keef buy for it if he were me?

2. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Unless you can't stand the eminence, I'd leave it. That being said, I think the Weber 4ohm ceramic Sig8s is a great speaker for Champs. I have one in my '68 Champ and it was formerly in my '69 Vibrochamp and sounded fantastic in both amps. Price is right too at $30 shipped.

3. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

I like the Weber 8F125. Big, bold, clean. Louder and more 3D than any other speaker I've tried in a VC.

4. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ask Jim, aren't you taking lessons from Jim?

5. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

I would ask Jim, but I'm not taking lessons from him. I was going to, but I have to work on Saturdays and that's the only free day he has...

I'll probably eventually take lessons with him though, maybe in a month or two.

6. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

I would ask Jim, but I'm not taking lessons from him. I was going to, but I have to work on Saturdays and that's the only free day he has...

I'll probably eventually take lessons with him though, maybe in a month or two.

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I have a Weber 8A125-0. Love it. If you want to hear it, I uploaded a sound clip. Click on my name to search my threads on here. You'll find it in the Champ section of the Amp Owners club.

8. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Heroin, probably.

9. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

Is there a way to buy the original vintage speaker?

Would that be better than the Weber?

What speaker was Keef using in his Vibro Champ back in the day?

10. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

So you guys think the Weber might sound better than the Eminence?

11. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

Keith,

I just listened to your sound clip!

What kind of guitar are you playing into that thing?

Your amp smokes my amp! I'm going to have to get a Weber...

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

30+ years since.

Beatles fan ?:lol:

13. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

The 8A125 3.2 ohm speaker is great, I use one ion my Tweed Champ.

You can use a 10" speaker in the Vibro Champ with a new Baffle/ Grille from
    the Gent on ebay, then the 10F125 or the 10A125, 10F100 10A100 would
    be absolutely killer in the amp.
    I have a 10A125 in my Vibro Champ and it sounds incredible.

AES sells a 10" Jensen P10R 4 ohm speaker, but the Weber is so much better.

14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I was playing a stock USA built hard tail strat.American Series maple neck. About 04 vintage all original. No fx straight into my 68 vibro champ.

Would love to try a 10" speaker in there out of curiosity.

15. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Ditto on the Weber Signature ceramic 8S. Great speaker in a Vibro-Champ. It sounds good clean and handles an overdriven signal well. And, as noted above, the price is right.

16. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

IMO it is a matter of experamentation. Try a bunch of different speakers. Try ones with different magnets. Try used speakers also. If you cam collect a few you will have spares for if your speaker fails.

17. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I have a Weber 8 sig anlico in one and a Weber 8A125O in the other. I much prefer the 8A125 O. Much nicer breakup and when I run the two amps together I drown out the amp with the sig if I turn up the 125 above 4.

Just to let you know, if you get the 8 A125 O you might have to remove the head to put the speaker in. I had to with mine, it's not a big deal. You don't want to risk putting a hole in your new speaker.

18. mechanicdave

mechanicdave Tele-Holic

I recently installed a Weber Sig8 alnico in my 73 Champ. It may not be the "Best" but I'm pleased with it. I'm sure as it breaks in it will change some as it already has for the better with @ 5 hours run time.
    I would think the 8A--- would sound different as it is 3 times the price of the Sig, better or worse, only you know what you want to hear.

19. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Installing a large 8" Weber in a Tweed Champ,

If you ever want to install a larger 8A100, 8A125, or 8F100, 8F125 in a Tweed Champ
    it can be done by relocating the Output Transformer. You need to pull the chassis and you will see many extra holes already pre-drilled in the Champ Chassis. You can remove the OT from where it is now and move oit to the end of the chassis screw, then the other end of the OT turn on a 45 degree angle and the hole will fit over the screw sticking up from the circuit board screw (From the other side) You just leave that end of the OT over the screw and put a small pierce of Gorilla Duct Tape over it. The One screw on the end/edge of the OT will hold the OT on the Chassis super strong, really no need to have the 2 screws. This is how I do it, but there are other ways to move the OT so it will not hit the frame of the larger Weber Speaker.

[​IMG]

By moving the OT to the top of the chassis, it gives you plenty of room to fit the larger Weber 8" Speaker, and not just limit you to using a Sig Speaker because it conveniently fits right in.

The bottom circle in the photo is the screw sticking out from the circuit board from the other side. I just put the OT eyelet right over the screw and use the other hole/screw to hold the chassis. You can also remove the screw and put 2 screws into the OT and it does not hurt the black circuit board by removing the one screw.

Either way, the 8A100, 8A125, or 8F100, 8F125 speakers are so much better than the Sig, well worth the effort for a great practice amp.

Have a great day

20. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Are you a player or collector? I'm definitely not a collector, and I happen to score a SF Champ cab loaded with a Weber Sig10, when they were still making them in 4ohm, on this forum for my '76 Vibro Champ. Absolutely kills and gets a great Stones tones. I started a thread in "The Stomp Box" about my Les Lius pedal and the clips are played through my VC and there are some places where the pedal is off if you want to hear it. Is post a link, but I'm on my phone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.