1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHAT is THE best sounding amp you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

It depends on my mood and style of playing, but my '64 non-reverb Deluxe (NOS tubes, a '68 Jensen Vibranto speaker) just never sounds bad.

For more grind, I have a SF Bassman built with a 6G6 brownface circuit but using a pair of 6V6 power tubes and a Deluxe OP transformer. (It was a hack job chassis that was actually Mark Norwine's development chassis for his Vibropup--if any of you are old timers.) I had it built with dual bias controls so I can use some of my mismatched NOS RCA 6V6's. And it has blonde/oxblood cosmetics to match the circuit :)

And I have a stock 6G9 '62 Tremolux head. Again, based on my mood and type of music these old Fenders are just great amps.

George

2. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

My JCM800 non-mv half stack with a Rat.

3. telegraphic

telegraphic TDPRI Member

A Bedrock hand wired combo. Long before they were endorsed by Joe Perry and unfortunately I was too young to remember the model (although it had a cranked AC30 thing going on). My father and I still talk about that amp. Every time a Bedrock comes up for sale locally he tries one, but we never found one close to that first combo. Maybe it was modded?

4. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

A Two Rock head...don't remember which model. I tried it out at Chicago Music Exchange. What a great sounding amp. As I recall, it was about $2500. As I recall, I was about $2476.39 short.

5. Logieberra

Logieberra TDPRI Member

this sounds cheesy but honestly my Traynor YGL2.. got it for 900 new and it is a killer cathode biased el84 amp... and no it is not a Vox clone it has its own sound and loves to be cranked and have some drive and fuzzes in front

6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Two best amps I've ever played through were my blond Fender Bamdmaster and my Blackface Fender Concert 4X10. Had to sell them in the 1970's to feed my family.

Amazing amps.

7. TX-Cabronita

TX-Cabronita TDPRI Member

'73 Fender Deluxe Reverb silver face

I just picked up this amp about a month ago! Unreal! I played it in the shop and couldn't head home without it! Pedals and even my "turd" ESP LTD sounds amazing thru it. :lol:

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"even my "turd" ESP LTD sounds amazing thru it."

Hey my #1 tele is an ESP LTD

9. Logieberra

Logieberra TDPRI Member

I was offered a ESP LTD relic tele with a humbucker in neck and single in bridge for my classic vibe 60s tele custom... I turned it down... I love the resonant ring of my classic vibe too much

10. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've got a Dr Z Z-wreck quantum silver. It's absolutely the best amp I've ever played through. I doubt I'll get to play a Dumble or a Trainwreck. They might be better I don't know.

Damn thing made me break a bunch of 30 year maintained personal rules.
    • If an amp is too big to put in one hand / put a guitar in the other hand and walk a block it's too Effin big
    • No more 2 -12 amps
    • no amps that cost more than a grand
    • no more amps without effect loops
    First time I played through one (not even with the correct cab) that was all gone. Instantly replaced by, how soon can I get one of these.

Sounds great with pedals or without / single coils or humbucks. It's got the best touch, overtones and low end authority I ever played. It reveals what 's going on with your guitar and touch, it doesn't paste some sound over what your doing. If you've got no touch stay away this amp it is totally merciless. A crappy player makes it sound normal.

(If you get to play one and it sounds like a normal tube amp, please read the previous paragraph again)

The other best amps I've owned in order:
    • Fender Bassman 60 with 2-15 Utahs (played it for a living for 2 years with no pedals - the tubes needed replaced so I traded for the Polytone 104, 3 sets of Darco's and my store tab)
    • Fender Vibroverb RI (did every mod imaginable - then ditched it - loved the verb and trem)
    • Silverface bandmaster with extra big dumabass 2-12 cab (ditched for the worst amp I ever owned a Kustom 50 - Hey, I was 17)
    • Polytone 104 (awesome clean low end - great vibrato - Plenty loud - not too heavy- only solid state amp I ever owned that wasn't a POS)
    • Mesa Studio 22+ with ext theil cab (fits under a grand piano without the ext cab. 30lbs - keeping it)

I've easily owned enough amps since 1967 that if they were all in one place they'd fill the floor of a two car garage. God what a picture. Worse than a collection of ex-wives or old girl friends.

11. Logieberra

Logieberra TDPRI Member

Ugh man I got a big 2x12 fender tonemaster cab with cannabis rexes now.. thing is killin me draggin it to gigs its bigger then a darn 4x12!!

As for the Dr.z I always thought they were just overrated overpriced amps for the whole boutique thing but considering your experience with amps and how much you love this amp it is making me reconsider them!

12. spanisheyes

spanisheyes TDPRI Member

Bogner Shiva, cranked up...with a Gretsch White Falcon...Just an amazing amp, incredibly dynamic and alive...

13. camatillo

camatillo Tele-Meister

My amp obsessions have mainly consisted of Sunn amps. My go to for my early years was a Sunn Sceptre, 2 ~ 6550's in the outup, I think a 5y3 as the rectifier, the tube rectifier gave it some sag. Played well with pedals. Was very clean up to very loud volumes. My current fave is a Sunn original model T, circa 1975 or 73, don't remember. This amp can be insanely loud. 4 ~ 6550's output, SS rectifier. Very clean, plays very well with pedals, and I always have played with pedals. I did have a very well done custom modified 50 watt Marshall, non master volume, that was great, but, not enough bottom thud like a Sunn. I know you don't usually play Sunn's straight in, because they are very clean with little breakup untill very loud, but when you do, you will get a full body experience. I wouldn't recommend doing this in a small room, lol

14. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I used to think just like you..Then I played one for an extended period of time... Then I bought one, I was still feeling like I got sucked into the boutique thing and a bit remorseful.. Then I had a slight issue with it... Got on the Z talk forum seeking an answer, then got a PM from the man himself asking for my address, he knew what the issue was, and was sending me the parts free of charge, this after me telling him I bought it USED.
    They are wonderful amps, and he backs his product like no one else in the business.

rze99 likes this.
  15. Logieberra

Logieberra TDPRI Member

wow great to hear..sounds like a good guy

rze99 likes this.
  16. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't possibly pick just one - amps come in too many flavors for me to think that one is the best. Among the ones that blow my mind are my AC30HW from 2003 (one of the English ones), my Matchless DC30, and pretty much every 65Amps amp I have ever touched - my current favorite 65s are the Empire and the Stone Pony, and in the Fenderish category, an Allen Encore that I sold to a friend.

17. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

History of worth a crap guitar/bass amps

Just like the history of jazz you can list it with less than a dozen names.

(comeon! kids it's fun to play - follow me and name the associated products remember, there's pie afterwards!)

Leo Fender
    Dick Denny
    Jess Oliver
    Jim Marshall
    Duke Aguiar
    Paul Rivera
    Randall Smith
    A H Dumble
    Ken Fischer
    Mike Zaite

My list: personal - open for discussion.

Started a new thread might be fun for awhile.

18. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

For just guitar into amp - no pedals - a Rickenbacker into AC-15 = happiness.

19. robhisgtr

robhisgtr Tele-Meister

The best sounding amp I have ever played through is my Dr. Z Maz 18 jr w/reverb. It does every thing I need it to do and more!

SoulstormTX likes this.
  20. Olgabowl

Olgabowl Tele-Meister

+1...

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.