1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHAT is THE best sounding amp you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

blimey, I've been a fortunate fellow, played many a mighty fine amp in my time. Best sounding? That's a really tough call. Are we to separate those that we've owned personally, from borrowed rigs, to rigs tried out at store?

My personally owned amp, that I liked the best? Perhaps the '67 transition JTM 50 (yes) tube rectified EL 34 powered 50 watt plexi. It sounded very good through a '72 slant 4x12.

Played at a store: toss up amongst a brown face vibrolux reverb reissue (early '90s version), a low power tweed twin and a black face concert with new speakers at the late, lamented Daddy's Junky Music store in Nashua, that I played the friday before they suddenly closed forever 5 days later.

2. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

'63 Vibroverb, owned by a former NYC studio musician who gave up music to sell real estate and raise a family. I was nervous, sweating, and playing his pre-CBS strat. The best sounding 10 minutes of my guitar playing life.

3. Fidel

Fidel NEW MEMBER!

Pre CBS Deluxe Reverb. Like a fool, I sold it. Hopefully, one day, I will get another one or a SFDR.

4. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Off-hand, I'd say my Mesa-Boogie TA-30. That's the first amp I played through that was close to being high-end.

[​IMG]

I used to have a lovely Marshall JCM800 50-watt combo that I eventually sold because it didn't have enough guts for the gigs I was playing. And I really enjoyed my DSL100, that I eventually sold because it had too much guts for the gigs I was playing.

Other than that, I have fond memories of A/B'ing two identical Am Std. Strats through a battered '57 Fender Deluxe. That was a very dynamic amp: completely different tones whether you smacked or caressed the strings. And not a bad tone in the bunch.

5. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Oh man, that thing is a beaut. I guess it stays home or in the studio. Gigging it would get it scratched and dinged. How heavy is it?

6. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Well you see, you just can't do that ya see.
    Said the experts.

I made my first 4x12 Bassman 5F6-A Cab out of C-Select Pine, it was very light almost like Sugar Pine. Both are about the best grades you can buy, no knots etc.

I also left the Pine 4x12 Cab Bare, no Tweed or clear finish. Just natural pine so far. Both the Pine and the Maple Cab are deep at the top, no tapered sides. The Pine Cab is softer and sweeter, you can hear the tone resonate in the Pine.

The Maple Cab is Hard like a Baltic Birch Cab and is punchier and it does not carry the notes like the pine cab at low volumes. When I play low volume on the pine cab you can really hear the tone carry. When I play both the pine or the maple cabs at higher volumes it's not as noticeable.

The Maple looks killer and I made it for a living room player to pair-up with my 1977 Les Paul Natural Flame Maple Standard.

If I were to recommend a wood to use it would be the pine. It's cheaper, sounds better at lower volumes, and just a wise choice if you don't need a hardwood.

7. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

I tried out a guitar at 48th St Custom Guitars in NYC in the 90s. There were walls of vintage electric guitars but only one amp to try them out -- a Blackface Deluxe Reverb. Any guitar sounded great through that amp. I asked "how much for the amp? ".
    "The amp's not for sale."
    Best amp I ever heard.
    I bought the guitar and still have it.

8. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Thanks Inventour.

9. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Mine would have to be my redplate truverb. Simply stunning at drummer volume!

10. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile TDPRI Member

My '66 Super Reverb Amp. Killer!

11. gitr

gitr TDPRI Member

1959 Vibrolux with the preamp tapped into a Macintosh MC60 power amp through a pair of EV 12L speakers.

12. Marky D.

Marky D. Tele-Holic

True..

I have a '65 DR with a Cannabis Rex speaker in it. Any guitar does sound great through it!

13. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Oh man! I wish I had kept it.
    I had it only a short time (was selling it for a friend)

A Hiwatt executive bought it (IIRC)

SoulstormTX likes this.
  14. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

A Fender Super tweed with the V front....looked like hell,sounded like heaven.

15. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I'm curious. Does the covering on an amp or cabinet affect the sound? It always seemed to me that an uncovered amp should be a little brighter than a covered one, but I've never had one to play through.

16. fenderdfs

fenderdfs Tele-Meister

The best I've played through is my 57 twin reissue. I haven't found anything yet that beats it for what I like. It is one of those amps that as soon as I plug in and pay the heavens open up and angels sing down upon me.

17. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For me, it's a toss up between a Blackface Super Reverb and Vibrolux Reverb. Also near the top of my list is a Traynor YRM-1 through a closed back 212 cab.

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I had a '92 Vibroverb RI. That was sweet.

19. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

Best was an early 70's 50 watt Marshall with EL34s through a half stack.....that amp was so Organic....the cleans were beautiful and just with your volume knob you could go from sweet cleans to crunchy chords to flat out wailing leads! I loved that amp but it belonged to another player.
    Now I still love my 5e3 small but has a lot of that same organic feel to it.

rze99 likes this.
  20. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

I had a couple of Vibro-Kings up until about six years ago. They remain my benchmark for sound (but not for size and weight, LOL...).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.