1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHAT is THE best sounding amp you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Peavey Classic VTX

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

MARSHALL 1974X ,best CLEAN tele tone I've ever heard.It also sound magnificent cranked up for dirtier tones and is also no slouch when it comes to working w/ od pedals & effects.

jimytheassassin likes this.
  3. moondogz

moondogz Tele-Holic

1973 Traynor YGM-3 (I've lived a sheltered life, musically speaking)

4. Seb C

Seb C TDPRI Member

And old Marshall Bluesbreaker for me, with original speakers. Sounded great at bedroom volume, too - but really sang when cranked. Far too loud for most places when cranked, though!

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

imagesCA2PKWIR.jpg

Ampeg V-4.

SoulstormTX likes this.
  6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

My 67 Princeton Reverb, of course.

7. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

..inventour....got any pics?...:rolleyes::lol::lol:

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Those were great..liked the rocker switches....heavy as all get out though!!!!

9. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1966 Super Reverb that I used to play at church in my teens

10. yardleyboy

yardleyboy Tele-Meister

Marshall JMP50

or
    present 5E3 clone

11. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

Evans JE-200 with 12" ext. cab - the cleanest, purest, and warm, warm, warm. mainly jazz and lap steel...

12. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

My current 68 Twin Reverb with Weber Californias.

But, notable past amp experiences that left indelible marks on my "minds ear" have been:

A Blackface Deluxe Reverb with JBL that I tried back around 1978 or so and a Silverface Vibrolux Reverb stock, also around 1978. Not sure of the year of either amp. Both of these amps made me sit up and take notice!

13. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I think the guitar & style comes in to play, a mismatch can make any guitar or amp sound bad , but a good combination of even basic products can sound excellent..

SFVC (not the one I have now) ;( with a MIM Duo Sonic RI in, WOW did this sound great, tight lows, shimmering highs, liven in a Apt. at the time, I'm going at it and a neighbor knocks...Uh oh.."just wanted to let you know thats some tasty playing & nice tone, first and last time for that! Amp was from a flea market, had a hole in the cone that I fixed with the TP repair, so not like it was a tweaked out tech baby or anything..should have kept that combo.

Gulid Thunder 1 (1x12 version) w/ Humbucker equipped Starfire II..
    Jazzy smoothness for days, pull the bright and flip on the Tremmmmmmooooooooloooooo
    and it 1960's NYC pop , fire up your fuzz and get trippy SF style.
    This guitar sounds a little thin with other amps, and the amp is OK but not up to a good DR or AC-15 , but the two together are incredible.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Surprised to not see any mention of Swart here (for all the gushing you hear about them)...

The Tone King mentions have got me curious, I've heard these live with other people playing and thought they were very interesting, as a matter of fact the guy who let me play through his Mesa that i mentioned in the OP has one.

15. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

For me its probably my 5F1 clone plugged through 2 x 12 Celestion Greenback speakers... Though IMO it sounds pretty grand with its standard Weber Blue Pup.

Failing that the 1965 Princeton Reverb Reissue... Playing that in Andrertons made go and build one...

16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

I've played and gigged through a lot of amps - Bogen 50W PA, SS Peavey Musician, Music Man 210-65, Peavey Bandit 65, SF Pro Reverb, SF Princeton, Palomino V16, '58 tweed Champ. The only one I still own is the Palomino.

The best sounding amp I heard in a music store, but never owned or gigged with, was a Music Man RD-100 with a EV12L. I should've bought that amp!

The Champ sounded great when playing a Strat and backing up an acoustic-guitar playing singer-songwriter. Quiet music.

I can honestly say that *the* best sounding amp I've ever played through is one I built for myself.

17. Timbertea

Timbertea Tele-Holic

Depends on the style of music:

For metal and extreme hard rock: Koch Powertone II. Simply amazing distortion, quiet when not playing, gain beyond gain beyond gain, and could handle any amount of bass thrown at it. For drop tuning this amp was simply amazing.

For rock and blues: Aiken Invader 30w. This is what every Marshall should be -- at a volume level you can actually use in medium size clubs without making everyone deaf. Not cheap, but if Aiken was still building these I would gladly buy another one.

For surfy cleans: Ampeg Gemini II. I love Fender cleans too, but its just a hair better for those tones than a Super or vintage Twin, and the tremolo has its own thing going on that they don't quite replicate.

jimytheassassin likes this.
  18. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

The power of self-suggestion

Dammit Inventour... I've already been taking steps to pursue something similar to this. Not exactly, but certainly inspired by what you've done here. It involves Tweed and multiple Blues.

Mind me asking - why flame maple, besides the stunning appearance? Any tonal benefit or differences from pine?

19. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

The best sounding amp I ever played was back when I played bass in a gigging band and I played through a Gallien Kreuger 800RB atop a Fender cab that had 1x18 and 2x10 in it. It had the power to sound really big but still be musical and not overly harsh.

Of my current guitar amps the best sound I think is the mutant BF Champ clone that muchxs made, through a 1x12 cab with a Celestion Blue.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  20. SSgt93

SSgt93 Tele-Meister

Victoria Silver Sonic with a Celestion Blue......:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.