1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHAT is THE best sounding amp you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

65 vibroluxe reverb with an empty v1 socket...volume on 7.5. Treble on 7 bass on 3 verb on 4. Or an old marshall jmp 50 watt.

2. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO ASK THIS QUESTION?!?!?!?! I would answer but I would only get a bashing for it...

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This was brief, but many years at a GC, I went into the ' expensive electrics' room and just for kicks, I plugged a Guild Bluesbird (I think?- similar to an LP- maybe chambered ) into a Fender Tone Master head, w/ matching 2-12" cab with Celestion Vintsge 30's.

Holy Sh*t!! It felt like instant ABB at Fillmore East, at a very controllable volume at that.
    I am familiar with Duane/ Dickey's chops a bit, and things just came out! I remember feeling " Between this guitar and this amp, you can't dial in a bad tone!"

It was just a revelation as I have basically played a Fender guitar into some kind of clean Fender amp ( plus OD pedal) for 35+ years. This was just full of power/detail/sustain!

hrstrat57 likes this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't think I've commented in this thread yet. If I have, well, maybe I'll say the same thing now. Maybe not!

My '69 Twin, without a doubt. Nice amp.

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Westerly RI Guild Goldtop Bluesbird, good as it gets agreed.....

Not a Goldtop but here u go

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  6. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Got my Pro Reverb back from a tune up yesterday....heavenly. All the young cats at the shop were gushing to tell me how cool it sounded.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

JMP 50w Master Lead ii ... a ‘79

Image1540111390.971454.jpg

Just loading it up for a recording session. :)

nocastermike likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Clean- Twin Reverb
    Dirty- MB Electradyne, my favorite MB of all time, or Marshall JVM, with four channels and three different voicings on each and all twelve sounds are AMAZING.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow that's a beaut.

4telecaster4 likes this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Snap! had mine since about '81. Nothing Sounds like it. I use a Hot Plate on mine so that I can get the power tubes cookin'.

11. TonyAsh

TonyAsh TDPRI Member

Right now I own a 1973 Traynor YBA-1. I've played a couple of others over the years, but this one has something special going on. To my knowledge it has not been modified other than channel two's bright cap being removed, plus needed maintenance including filter cap replacement and new output tubes. But it sounds like the best Marshall ever made. It's the one amp I'll never sell.

[​IMG]

zosofan likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Matchless Dc30.

13. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

i'm really taken with my just rebuilt "84 Concert II - lovely chiming cleans like a Princeton Reverb with much more muscle. That said, and I am a tube guy all the way, I recently played through a solid state Roland that sounded as good as the best Fender.

14. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Yes this, exactly.

The Black Supers were mine.

The Super Lead (could have been a modified super bass) was in a rehearsal studio and had KT88s and 2 cabs w/ the original speakers. Just the most awesome brown rhythm sound ever.

15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I have a soft spot for the peavey classic 50 410 right now, but for me, it varies. I'll trade just a little bit of cleans for a decent lead channel.

One of the sweetest amps I ever heard was a rivera quiana 1x12, but I couldn't get over the price and would rather have a vintage amp for the same cost - the other rivera I had tanked in value over the decade that I had it and I didn't get much out of it when I sold it. 45% of new, nominal. What the rivera had in cleans, it lacked compared to the peavey on the gain side, even with pedals.

I could be convinced that one of any number of 100 different amps are the best I've heard, though, as long as they're good at what they're supposed to be good at. I hate mesas, because I can never get one set right unless I have a picture of where the knobs should be, but i like how they sound on high gain when they're set right and played in the right context.

16. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I've owned various fender combos, a Traynor (good), a few different Boogies, but the best sounding amp I ever played through was a Crate. I don't remember the model but it was a 2 X 12 combo with white tolex, back in the 90s.

cheers, RM

17. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Toss up between Black Face Princeton Reverb I used from 1975-‘78 and a Seymour Duncan Convertible 1990-‘96.

18. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

19. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't have a deep mental catalog of all the amps I've played through -- but one that pops out in my memory was a '68 Custom Twin Reverb Reissue with a pair of Warehouse ET65's

I also like the Orange Tiny Terror and my personal DRRI.

Probably the most expensive amp I've played through was a Matchless DC-30. We bi-amped through my DRRI and that Matchless for our first EP, and ended up using only the DRRI tracks. The Matchless was cold and blah. The distorted lead tracks were all Tiny Terror.
    https://youdoyou.bandcamp.com/album/the-sweet-sounds-of-the-funky-sounds-2

20. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Crate made a great little tweed or light colored amp (can't remember) that I really like the sound of. V30 or something like that?

I have heard not so great things about the cost of components and their reliability, but the amp itself sounded great to me.

Buying a couple of boutique amps early on that were overly capable, overly complicated and ultimately not better for me than a couple of simpler tube amps has cured me from going th expensive route again in the future. I made the same mistake as a lot of people probably do - "I want an amp that sounds like a fender on cleans, sounds like an overdriven fender on the first and sounds like a marshall on the second channel"

Or basically, an amp that sounds like a decent tube amp with a pedal setup without getting the pedal setup. Now, I have two decent plain tube amps and a relatively simple pedal setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.