1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHAT is THE best sounding amp you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

An early Brown Super.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My current 65 Princeton Reverb RI is the best I've ever played through. My Peavey Delta Blues sounds almost as good.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

partially blackfaced SFBMR from 1970 through 2x12, but I’m partial to my own kit

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

For me:

Super Reverb with factory JBL/D110F's

Twin Reverb with factory JBL/D130F's

Deluxe Reverb with factory JBL/D130F

5. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

1970 Twin Reverb, everything factory-stock.

6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Fender twin and roland jc 120.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I don't recall what my previous answer was in this thread, but -

It's impossible for me to select "one" amp, since ALL amps sound better in certain venues/rooms/situations and volume levels than in others. The is no one amp that has the "best sound" for any player unless he only plays in one place with one band (or alone) and the room configuration (furniture or seat placement and room contents - including crowd size) never changes.

since 1973 I nearly always run a tube amp at just below maximum clean headroom (which one depends on the venue/situation) with guitar controls rolled back roughly 20%. That leaves me enough "control space" to increase clean volume and add a bit of brightness (if appropriate) for solos and fills, and another slight nudge moves the amp into mild saturation. All my amps are optimized to work this way. I DO use distortion pedals when they fit, but not an "overdrive" to generate distortion - that's all controlled by the guitar/amp settings. I learned this from Clarence White in '72 and have used it ever since.

So "the best sounding amp you've ever played through" is a question that no player should be able to answer, because the ONE amp he might list won't be the best sounding one in a different situation.

But I'll list a few favorites with specifics-

In my home studio two Holland Little Jimi Combos - one loaded with two custom-made Webers, the other a WGS "creamback" are the most used/most versatile.

...closely followed by a '62 Fender Reverb unit into a '62 Concert and/or '62 Bandmaster

In a local studio that has superb acoustic engineering I prefer a Dumble Overdrive Special combo with a tuned/ported back panel and Celestion creamback, although if using my Rick 350/12C63 I prefer their stock '63 Vox AC30 (recorded dry but outboard compression always added).

For "general use" in unknown situations I'll take my '66 Deluxe Reverb and either a Traynor Guitarmate or one of the Hollands as a backup/supplemental amp.

And I have a '55 5D3 Deluxe and a bunch of 10-15 watt, 1x12 Magnatone, Airline, Silvertone and other small amps for specialized uses, plus a cabinet with a '53 P15N I use with several of the above for specific tones.

I know the answer isn't all that specific - but it's accurate. I hope a few players will get some ideas from it.

(And FWIW the WORST, to me, is generally any high-output amp like a Twin reverb run at low volume for cleans and pedals for every level of distortion. I know some like them, but I don't, and it's a very common "take" in this area. I haven't seen a Twin on a club stage in 10 or 15 years.)

8. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A real 66 Super Reverb back in the 90s

9. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

A 1970 ish Traynor 30 watt combo.
    It did " fender clean" decent enough but if you wanted to push it you could get some great " Marshall crunch" as well. Very nice sounding amp. Had a nice spring reverb too as I recall.

10. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

In Jr. High school I found a Brownface Bassman w a 2x12 cab. Brown face, brown tolex, small brown knobs. JBL's in the cab. I've never seen one quite like that since and I don't think I've ever heard anything better.

11. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I've had the pleasure of playing through a lot of nice amps but I'll say (for now?) my 68 Selmer Treble and Bass 50 W/Reverb and the original "David" series cabinet that houses it's original Goodman 15". I once took it up to the guys at Eurotubes who were extremely impressed with it's tone.
    I can't describe it other than butter smooth.

12. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

'68 Princeton Reverb.

13. John How

John How Tele-Meister

My brown diy (6G2)Princeton...wish I’d built it 50 years ago, woulda saved me a lotta money...

14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

THIS would have made an excellent POLL question.

15. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Marshall DSL40cr made into head.has the plexi thing goin on, Crystal clean marshall style clean and a slight twist of modern gain..very usable amp...into a gt75 & v30 2x12 closed back

16. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I havent found one end all be all amp. I have a pretty good collection of amps. My Brunetti 50 is a great pedal platform. Its like starting with a blank page then go from there. Which is what it is intended to do.

My AC15 is a strange beast. There are times I hate it but times it pulls off the best tone ever.

My Z-lux is light and loud and is also a strange beast. It hates most pedals but doesnt really need them.

My Mojave Scorpion is like having a dragon on a leash. Or like driving a three stage rocket to go to the convenience store. It is just so much amp which is exactly what I want...sometimes.

My Dizzy 30 is a lot like my ac15 which makes sense since its a Vox dirivative. Sometimes it sounds like magic and other times I cant seem to get a tone out of it I like.

My 1974 is a blazing rock n roll monster. It just doesnt really provide the kind of flexibility I need for most music situations I find my self in.

My Little white Orange lunch box amp is outrageous but, like the 1974, kind of single purpose outrageous.

My DR is awesome, flexible, takes pedals well. I cant really think of a single criticism for it. When it comes to gig time I usually reach for the Z-lux or the Brunetti.

My 30 watt 5e3 Prolux is a lot of amp, plus I hand wired it myself. Its finicky and I mostly keep it at home but it is a fun amp.

My 50 watt Marshall JCM800 that I hand wired myself is the most powerful thing I have ever heard, at dangerous volume levels.

An amp I dont have that Ive been it hing to buy is a Super Reverb. Never owned one but ive so much about them I feel like Im really missing out.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Rivera Suprema. Possibly a Bogner extacy.

18. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

Naylor electraverb 60 2x12 combo

19. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

The night I sold my last Peavey Classic 50 212, I demo’ed for the guy. In that moment I could see, feel, hear and smell the musical sensations coming from that amp. It was being paired with an ASAT I was trading it for so my judgement may have been gear-clouded.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.