1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHAT is THE best sounding amp you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

my Vintage Sound Amps - Vintage 20

2. Boodreaux

Boodreaux Tele-Meister

A Marshall JMP head I had long ago. I (stupidly) sold it because it only sounded good cranked.

3. LyleGorch

LyleGorch TDPRI Member

Milkman 40 watt

jimytheassassin and o6 oly white like this.
  4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    No doubt for me, BFSR with CTS Alnico speakers

5. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

This thing gets beat to death every several months or so and it's probably about time to close this one as well.

It's really a matter of preference and the genre of music you play...You know...What works for you and has worked well through your years of experience.

I'm a country player so I lean more lean toward the Fender line and I think my very best amp selection would probably be the 1964 Bassman AA864 circuit. Sadly, this one wasn't mine but belonged to a bandmate from some years past. I loved it and it's already gotten much deserved love in this thread.

I bought a Fender Super Twin in '66. It's a '64 BF AB763 circuit that was overstock and a return (?). Don't get why it was returned but I got a killer deal on it and have had and played it ever since. This one has to be a very close second. I don't lug it around anymore opting for less weight and mics.

There have been so many absolutely marvelous amps mentioned here that it takes a good couple of hours to get through the thread. Great posts but all a matter of perception...If you believe something to be true and correct...Well...Then it most certainly is...As far as you are concerned.

Lets let this thread die a well deserved heroic death and move on...

6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

My ac15c1 with an OD in front of it.

7. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

These 2 amps both sound great, and I will say are tied with as good as Ive played through, as we know best is individual preference.

Mine best ais a 69 Dual Showman that's been Blackfaced, and an ODS mod by Hall Amplification, and a LTD ED Metropoulos GMP45, both amps with all NOS/NIB Glass including 1956 Marconi Osram coated glass KT66s in the Metro.

Speakers currently in use are 2 x 15 Altec Lansing 418H, 2 x 1 x 12 Hemp Coned JBL E120s, and 4 x 12 x 1972 Pulsonic Cone G12H, 25w/75hz. I only use those with the Metro. 2 x 12 Celestion Cream.

25 watt G12Hs Celestions cant take the 100 watt Fender, and, I would never think of plugging it in. The Showman, with the ODS mod, is brutally loud, and sounds nothing like a Fender. I mainly use it with the Altecs, and HCd E120s.

But with the ODS switch off it does sound like a Blackface Fender. 1st channel Bright Switch controls the OD in 1st channel. 2nd channel is unaffected, and I have the Reverb unplugged, and use Moog MF104M for outboard Delay/Reverb needs, and Vibrato is disabled. I use either a Moog Clusterflux, Mayer Voodoovibe+, Moog Ring Modulator, Moog Minifooger Chorus/Vibrato/Minifooger Tremolo for Vibrato/Tremolo needs.

I also use the same pedals with the Metro.

I like the Metro Best. But the Showman was my #1 amp from 73-2013, with the Carvin/Altec Lansing 2 x 15 418H as my main speakers. I got them in 72 I had Showman completely gone over in 2010. Has probably 100 hours on the amp tubes/components. Also had a 3 way plug put on it, and Lamar MV.

The Metro is pure sonic bliss IMHO. The overtones, and smooth OD, and feel is second to none. The Tone Controls also are much more functional on the Metro.

Both amps are as quiet as a tube amp can get.

Metro has NOS Mustard Caps ect. Very Original Replica of a 1966 Marshall JTM45. 38 Watt Version, with Drake Spec Transformers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doug 54 likes this.
  8. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I can't remember if I already posted, but here goes:

My JCM800 master volume type thing I build with 5881 power tubes.

My Fender Princeton 6G2

My uncle's Gibson GA-8T with his '55 Les Paul gold top or my MIM Tele.

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Many, many years ago in one of the rehearsal studios of SIR in NYC there was a 50W Marshall. Don't know the details, it wasn't my amp, but it was a small box head, matching 4x12.

Nearly 40 years later, I still remember it.

P

10. mburss

mburss NEW MEMBER!

Bought a Crate Gfx-212 on a auction on Ebay from a Detroit pawnshop. My bid was 15.00 +the shipping cost $50.00. I traded It to my roommate for a dusty crusty LabSeries L5, with Celestion Mesa Boogie Black Shadow Speakers. Had sat for over 10 years and never used. Cleaned up well. But a few crackly controls. Novice at setting the controls and curious If I made a good trade.I still am only out $65.00 on the crate and now posses the L5...Suggestions or opinions welcome

11. mburss

mburss NEW MEMBER!

I know the feeling. Iam working on a poor mans>Les Paul clone Single cutaway Sekova Gold top body but I have Speed finger Super 80s and a tunematic German made Goldtone Schaller tuners.I hope It sounds good. Just got a LabSeries L5 with the Celestion Mesa Boogie MC-90 speakers. Now If I played worth a damn I would be In hog heaven :)

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I also know the feeling. I had the chance to buy a Reverend Hellhound for less than 300 bucks, and I was very tempted, than I thought, wait a second, I've got a MUSTANG

13. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

As I aquire more and more amps I learn. I feel and hear the amps after spending some time with them. Based on what I have owned so far my #1 is a 1973 Twin Reverb with JBL K112 speakers. So warm and thick. For me and my style, its great.

14. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Best amp I've had the pleasure to play through?

[​IMG]

'74 Fender Pro Reverb.

I believe Teagle & Sprung when they wrote in their book, Fender Amps: The First Fifty Years ..."these amps [are] the best all-around amps ever made—by anyone".

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Old school- my '76 Twin
    New school- Dr Z KT45

16. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Three best sounding amps but all with different tones (I like variety).

1966 Fender Twin Reverb
    1977 Marshall 2204 Master Lead
    2013 Marshall 1962hw Bluesbreaker

17. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

jimytheassassin and o6 oly white like this.
  18. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    As stated before BFSR with CTS Alnico's, now updating to say either this amp or my Pro Reverb into my Vibratone... man I LOVE that cabinet!

pondcaster likes this.
  19. tremolo3

tremolo3 Tele-Meister

1968 Silverface Twin Reverb

20. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Of my current amps, it's between these three. Each has its own distinct tone an better fits certain music that I love. Probably my drip edge Super Reverb would be my favorite of of the three if I really had to choose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    jimytheassassin and mabley123 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.