1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHAT is THE best sounding amp you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Feb 6, 2013.

1. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

The ghost of amps past.....Sound City Concord....possibly the only amp in this great thread
    that had slide controls....Watkins Westminster such a rounded warm tone and incredible tremolo.....Princeton 5F2a (Valvetrain) the perfect Telecaster amp....but for versatility and tone the venerable Cornell Romany simply wonderfully an amp for the astonished heart.

2. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I had a 2266 Vintage Modern half stack for a while that was excellent.

This was straight in with my guitar.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My current 65 Princeton RI- although I may upgrade the speaker so it doesn't start gracing up at 6. But the tone-wow!

4. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

My '56 Fender tweed Deluxe follow by my '58 Fender tweed Pro.

5. Ham and Eggs

Ham and Eggs Tele-Meister

Fender Princeton II or Ampeg Reverborocket

6. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

Kitty Hawk Junior

7. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

An early 6G4A Super

8. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

This may seem to be an oddball choice, but it would either be my

Muchxs 6x9 equipped Champ

Or my

Fender Excelsior Pro with coffee can EV SRO 15" and NOS tubes.

9. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

That's a tough one. Not sure I have a favorite, or "best" one. Most of the amps that I've had, I've liked. The Swart AST Master MkII 112 combo that I have has satisfied my Jonesing, but that may also be because I honestly get sick of looking for something that may well be near impossible to find. Had a couple of Mesa Boogie Lonestar Specials, and they're great, PR is a fantastic amp, but a one trick pony. But if that's all you need, then it's the cat's meow. My Swart is the "best" for what I use it for, and it is way more than I need - as a house amp - but I do love the tone, Michael is a good man, and him and his associates build a fine product.

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Super Reverb is a clear winner

THis is heart warming

Merry Christmas!

11. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I can't pick one best but...

Original late 1950s tweed Deluxe...I can see why this amp is revered. Astounding cranked up with a Les Paul Junior.

Original late 1960s small box 50-watt Marshall half-stack. Amazing...but too big and loud for anything I do. But oh my god, what a sound when turned up.

My 1965 Princeton Reverb. I actually don't like it turned up but the clean is heavenly and put a good overdrive pedal in front of it and it sounds stunning.

12. Dune736

Dune736 TDPRI Member

I posted about this amp a week ago. It was a 60's Marshall JTM45. Just sounded amazing! I wanted to walk out of the store with that amp, but couldn't afford the sale price. It was close to $4000 at the time, but last time I did a Google search they are now going close to 10k.

A Gibson Scout came a very close second. Buddy of mind picked it up for $350. That amp also blew me away. Made every guitar that was plugged in to it sound magical.

13. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

The best sounding amp I've played is a Milkman Dairy Air head. Outstanding tone, clarity, and responsiveness! Wow... just... wow!!

jimytheassassin likes this.
  14. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister

Twin. 25 watt setting through 2-12's. So beautiful I'm weeping as I type this.

15. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

An original Tweed deluxe.

16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

No secret my favorite amps are all Goodsells, I own four. Different tube and speaker combos, 2x6V6s, 2xEL84s, single ended V6 Class A,... different speakers, was well, alnico in the V6, ceramic in the EL84s.

I suppose my favorite is my #0015 Goodsell Super 17 Clairmont, all vintage hammond transformers, three knobs, pure fun. Mine was used to clone a special order Super 17 for John Fogerty.

17. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

The one on the right, sounds great with any guitar either clean or cranked, 1961 Gibson GA19RVT.

Attached Files:

18. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

First it was my Vibro Champ, then my Swart AST and now it might just be this one:

19. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

My 73 SF Twin had a pair of EV SRO coffee cans in it for a while as the original JBL k120s were too spiky. Buttery, smooth sound with the EVs but impossibly loud and weighed a ton.
    The SROs are probably the smoothest and most neutral of the many speakers I've tried but many people need a more complex sound that will break up when pushed.
    In truth I have not played through anywhere near the number of amps many of the posters here, but I love with my Kendrick Black Gold 15 for quiet gigs. I also have a Kendrick K Spot with NOS glass in and it sounds amazing but I haven't had a chance to really open it up yet. It's a VERY loud 35 watts.

One of the best sounds I've gotten (and also the most impractical) was when I took an out from the Black Gold and ran it into the Twin, disconnected one Twin speaker and hooked my Ampeg b15 cab with Eminence 15" to the ext spkr out. I plugged into the Kendrick and the whole room lit up with the fattest sound I've ever gotten. There was two 10", one 12" and one 15" going and I got super lucky with no phasing or ground issues.

20. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

My 76' marshall super lead through my 75' 1982B cab with g12h30 speakers... A complete beast of an amp :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.