What is the best solid state Fender guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blacklodgebob, Apr 16, 2011.

1. marc13

marc13 Tele-Meister

About 9 or 10 years ago, I got a MIM deluxe 112 Plus and a MIA Princeton 112 Plus as a package deal for $150 bucks, I actually liked the sound of the Princeton a little better but at the time didn't want to ever have to worry about volume, so I kept the deluxe. (In hindsight i kinda wish i had done it the other way around) It is currently my main gigging amp, and hasn't been serviced since I bought it, and I would never doubt it's reliability, these things are SOLID. I had the deluxe modded to add a post power extension speaker jack in the back, and I run an 8-ohm 2x15 for the big loud gigs. (I know the deluxe is supposed to run at 4 ohms, but I unplug the internal speaker when I run the extension cab, and as I said, I've never had a problem with it). Honestly a great amp for a SS and can be had for a super great deal, same goes for the Princeton.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting what you say there. On occasions I've thought of sticking a high-efficiency 8-ohm speaker in my MIA Deluxe 112 Plus. The rationale is that though it would reduce the actual power output to about 65 watts or so, the additional efficiency might well more than make up the difference volume-wise. The amp would run cooler too. I did the sums in a thread years ago, but I've never actually got around to doing the swap - and now I've put that particular speaker in another amp instead...

3. classicplayer

classicplayer Tele-Meister

What's The Best Fender Solid State Amp?

I cannot name the best one, but I have a Deluxe 90 DSP model from about the year 2000. It's a fine sounding powerful amp with a Celestion 12" speaker. The drive channel is workable providing it's kept at lower levels. I know that I should be playing it more, but my Roland Cubes and my Blackstar 1-watt have sidelined the Fender right now.

Classicplayer

4. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Not a very "popular" amp, but for loads of headroom and great cleans, the Front Man 100/FM100 is pretty dam respectable. Just don't even think about hitting that "Drive/More Drive" button on the foot switch (better yet just get rid of the FS) unless you're into shrill, high-gain shred style tones that sound more like a miter-saw then a guitar amp (same can be said for all the OD tones in Fenders SS amps).

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

ive been gigging more and more with a fender fm 100 head. it doesnt sound as good as my bassman; but with a little tubescreamer in front to warm it up, it sounds very, very close. i assume most people in the audience cant tell a difference if i have trouble

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, I love my Sidekick reverb 20, in fact so much that I want to buy all the sidekick amps I can find.

[​IMG]

Changed the speaker for a wgs veteran 10

7. bbutler356

bbutler356 Tele-Meister

The 1x12" Frontman was fabulous and LOUD. They discontinued it. The 1x10' has fabulous tone, but when you go above 3 it's not that loud and it sounds like crap. I think it's the speaker. If you could fit a good 12" speaker in there, it could be a fabulous amp, I think.

I don't know about the Mustang line. Too complicated for me.

But the Frontman 2x12 is a really nice amp for the money. It's the same weight as a 20 or 25 watt tube amp, 46 lbs. But man, it's loud, clean and sounds like a Fender is supposed to sound. I've owned 4 of them. I like them that much. Then the tube bug got me. :)

8. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

I'm going into my 5th year with a Princeton 65 DSP.
    I can use it anywhere.
    [​IMG]

9. meaculpa

meaculpa TDPRI Member

What about the new line? Frontman 212R

10. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Had a red knob Fender Deluxe 85 back in the day. One 12" speaker. The sell for $100-$150 these days. Fine amp, a little on the heavy side.

11. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

I am very happy with FM65R after my modded frontman 25 with RaginCajun inside. But I would love to get a Sidekick...

12. meaculpa

meaculpa TDPRI Member

I dont know why but some people said to me that sideckick heads of the 80's sucks..

13. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

4 yo thread. Seriously?

14. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My Fender Frontman 25R, with a 10" JBL.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

Cyber-Deluxe. It's awesome. I especially like the Bassman tone for cleans. It does a good imitation of Vox stacks, Vox AC30 and Tweeds.

16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's been a while since I've been on this thread, but just found it again and read some very interesting opinions. I began gigging in 1963, and all we had were tube amps. I started out with Sears and Montgomery Wards amps my first year, but graduated to Fenders a year and a half later. For many years I swore I would never touch a SS amp. I had always heard so many negative things about them, but yet never actually heard one live until the mid to late 70's when a local band was playing Peavey exclusively...and I was very shocked at how good their tone was, not to mention they were all older, seasoned music pros. I tried out my first Peavey in 1987. It was a Special 130 amp. I was totally blown away by its tone, power and portability. I had to have one. Since then, I presently own four Peavey amps...three SS and a magnificent Peavey Ranger 212 all tube amp. I own eight vintage Fender tube amps and three Fender SS amps as well. I like them all and can easily dial in my tone on any of them running my Telecaster straight into the amp. No cheater EQ boxes for me (I tried that route for awhile and figured if I need one of them to achieve my tone thru any given amp, then that amp wasn't worth keeping, and I did get rid of several amps in that process with no regrets). I gig with all of my amps, taking turns as to which one goes to the gig. Bottom line for me is, I sound like me no matter which amp I play thru, and it's always straight into the amp. I've learned alot about amps over the 50+ years of gigging and maintaining them, and I know what continually works for me and keeps me tonally and reliably satisfied.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  17. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

I soooo love the FM 65 R, not so much the 25 R, though... Frontman series!

18. Ajtele

Ajtele TDPRI Member

1990’s tweed Bronco ?

19. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Fender Stage 160 212.

20. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It has to be a Fender? I’d recommend a Blues Cube Stage if it doesn’t...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.