1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Is The Best $100 You Ever Spent

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jan 21, 2021.

1. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

In 1992 my dad was in Houston, Texas for a heart bypass operation. I flew down there to be with him and the rest of the family. With a lot of time to spend between visits, I started walking around the neighborhood close to the hospital and found a small used book store. Found a copy of the paperback Poguetry: The Lyrics of Shane Macgowan, used, in good shape. I'm a big Pogues fan, it was only $10, so I snapped it up. Today I see it listed on Amazon for $768 - $950. Of course, I don't think many are selling at that price!

gpilgrim and unixfish like this.
  2. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Usually I do my own electric guitar setup. I am not an expert, but can dial things in well enough for myself, anyway.

But three months ago I paid a pro luthier a hundred bucks, give or take, to set up my Tele. He suggested expensive NYXL strings - 15 dollars - and I said, OK. He did a way better job than I could have, and the guitar plays better than ever.

unixfish likes this.
  3. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought a 500 Ninja for $100, it ran strong after I fixed it, which cost me 0$ in parts....

Steerforth and unixfish like this.
  4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

1. $75 for a full setup of my newly assembled partscaster by Tony Mellichampe, AKA Mellecaster here at TDPRI. Fixed a couple of high frets and tweaked the nut slots along with all the usual adjustments, now the best player I've owned in 50 years of playing.

2. $160 for a partscaster Tony had put together out of leftover parts he had laying around his shop and could not identify. Superb guitar.

teletimetx and unixfish like this.
  5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

They didn't all fall off a truck did they?

unixfish and Texsunburst59 like this.
  6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

As of matter of fact they did.

They were all load in a flatbed truck with short side walls.

We have "Holy" roads around these parts, and the truck it a huge pot hole on the road, and ALL the instruments popped out of the back.

I was lucky enough to be following the truck.

The driver had no idea what happened, and I pulled over and loaded them up in the back of my truck.

Sometimes, you're at the right place at the right time. ;)

Steve Holt and unixfish like this.
  7. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

This... Benson 335 copy
    TPVH4044.jpg

8. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

Before you guys started talking about the engagement rings you got for your wife (and we've been married 48 years), I was going to post about my Yamaha FG-160 acoustic dreadnaught.

But I will anyway.

In 1982, I had a boss that nobody liked working for. I think he had PTSD from 'Nam that made him that way. He was not very likable. His second (or perhaps third) wife was in the process of divorcing him. She had come to dislike him also. They'd been married maybe two years if that long.

So he was selling off his stuff to pay for his divorce. The other employee that had not quit got his weights and I got his guitar for $50, including the case.

It stunk like cigarettes because he was a heavy smoker, but in the past 39 years the smell has gone away. I looked up information on it, and it was made in May 1974 and sold for between $300 and $400, which is more than double than in today's dollars.

And because it was made of real wood (spruce top, mahogany sides and back) it sounds better and better with the passage of time. Or maybe because I am now retired and have more time to play it.

If you put a capo on the 5th fret, and the song is in C, it sounds very much like the acoustic on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Stones. Must be the smoke seasoning!:)

Best money I ever spent for what I got for it, not counting the engagement ring, I have to say.

sudogeek and unixfish like this.
  9. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

$48.00 for a Blackstar mini 3. My traveling amp. Great tone for me, will handle pedals, battery life is scary. Its been dropped, rained on, sandblasted and left in hot vehicles, yet it's still goes everywhere with me.

unixfish likes this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Scuffham S-Gear.

I’ve used it on almost every recording and have had it as my only amp a number of times (currently using as a preamp into the effects return of a physical amp). I’ve played it pretty much every day for as long as I’ve had it (7 or 8 years now I think?). Such a breeze to use, streamlined my process, and sounds awesome.

unixfish likes this.
  11. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

A little Brother laser printer. We had an old HP laser jet that had to be over 20 years old. Those things were bomb proof. Over the years I had rigged up several different ways to connect to it, since the original connections have been obsolete for years. It finally started printing badly and it was finally time to get rid of. For $99 I have duplex printing, wifi/air print connections, and that thing is fast!

unixfish likes this.
  12. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I upped my coffee game considerably last fall when my 20-year-old Braun blade grinder finally died and I splashed out $139 on a Baratza Encore burr grinder. It was worth every penny.

unixfish likes this.
  13. RedTele58

RedTele58 Tele-Meister

The two German Shepherds in my avatar picture are Jersey and Chief. Both are rescue dogs. Ten years ago I bought Jersey off a Craigslist ad for $100. Two years later Chief came from the shelter and cost $68.50.

I tell Jersey all the time she was the best $100 bill I ever spent. When Chief looks at me butthurt, I tell him he was the best $68.50 I ever spent. :)

They are wonderful doggies and my best friends.

doggies.jpg

unixfish likes this.
  14. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

We have a little Suzuki nylon string classical that I bought in 2004 for $99+tax after arriving in the DC area. Wife wanted to learn, I was not playing at the time, and didn't know a thing about nylon strings before then. Went to a shop in NW DC one lunch break, asked the guy what they recommended for students, he said "this thing, hands down."

We don't play it a ton, but it stays in tune, didn't disintegrate when we left sea-level humidity for the dry air at 7,000' elevation. If anything it seems to stay in tune better here. Easily the best $100 I have ever spent on anything music related, let alone a whole guitar.

Best $500? The Taylor GS Mini we got her around this time last year. Absolutely love that little guitar.

unixfish likes this.
  15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm...... Not enough time to really think it out.

The camping trip when it all started with my wife?

A few years ago my daughter and I had a late day flight from DEN after visiting cousins in Summit County. We risked (time) a part day skiing at Loveland. Snow had been absolutely dumping. Few people were there. It was an exceptionally fine day of deep fresh snow and her first time catching it like that.

Another maybe $100 was when my wife was getting strong again after a hospital mistake that nearly did her in. We got to Duluth with our bikes late day, got a free lift ticket, did some fun lift-served biking, then a simple meal at a brew pub that's good. Not just great timing and conditions but the indescribable joy of your wife back strong and healthy.

unixfish likes this.
  16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So, Summit County to Denver. You drove from Akron, OH to Denver to catch a flight? :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, could not resist.

imwjl likes this.
  17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I just Googled it. There are only three states with a Summit county; Colorado (Breckenridge), Ohio (Akron), and Utah (Park City).

I would have thought there would be a lot more states with a Summit county.

18. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Spent $100 on a 1955 Les Paul Custom. Salvaged from a fire.

Restoration cost $3000.00

Worth every penny. a Before After lo-res.jpg 1955 Les Paul Custom Body Blistered 300 dpi.jpg 1955 Les Paul Custom Restored 300 dpi.jpg Headstock Right Angle.jpg aIMG lo-res_3145.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

That reminded me of one. I bought a Norton 750 Commando for $125 once. It wasn’t running when I bought it, but I got the tools out and had it running fine in a short time. That was a nice bike.

rz350 and unixfish like this.
  20. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

$119 for a Squier Bullet Tele brand new. Then I added Bootstrap pickups and a 5 way switch and got a pro setup Now it’s one of my favorite guitars for 250 all-in
    BA6E8620-DD46-499B-9CDA-1E7C393EC54C.jpeg

unixfish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.