1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Is The Best $100 You Ever Spent

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

on a musical instrument: a couple;

1) I bought a twenty some dollar violin at a flea market. On the way to my car a guy asked to take a look at it. Turns out he was a violin luthier and said he could put on a bridge and set the sound post and get it playing. I hand him it, we exchanged phone numbers. Well, he fixed it up pretty good, it wasn't a great fiddle anyway (cheap student model) BUT...he turned me on to some Old Time Music Jams in the area, we became friends and I attended a lot of jams. All because of a cheap fiddle.

2) A while back I bought a 150 (I think, maybe more or less) Baritone Ukulele from a music store in West Virginia on a whim. I didn't know anything about ukes at the time, but figured since a baritone uke was tuned the same as a guitars lower four strings (DGBE) what the heck? Started picking it in my backyard, then I carried that thing on a trip to North Carolina, then to Michigan, just finger picking old blues and having fun with it. Turned a few people onto playing. Still keep the Baritone around and pick a little Mississippi John Hurt on it from time to time. Most fun cheap instrument I've picked up, mostly because it was just on a whim. Looked cool in the music shop.

Non musical best 100 bucks?....I don't know. Maybe a BB gun. lol...

simoncroft and unixfish like this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I generally don't like them. They are ALL ugly as sin, and the specs usually aren't to my liking (radius, fret wire, etc.)

But this one just sounded heavenly, and my friend was moving away to MA, looking to unload it that night. And it has a lacquer finished neck, which I love.

It was ugly as hell, but I reshaped the upper horn, stripped and refinished the body, and fabricated a much better looking pickguard design for it.

I would never be seen with it as stock. One of the ugliest guitars ever made IMO.

Gibson scale length, HSS, 24 fret, with nice quality black and gold Schaller lockers and two-point bridge. Juicy sounding little axe, even though it wasn't my style cosmetically.

It looked like this when I got it (though this is not my guitar). I lopped off the upper horn, painted the body white, and made a single ply black guard for it.

godin-g-4000-2592347.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    unixfish likes this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

hunnert dollars well spent.jpg

unixfish likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

It's been about 6-7 years now, but getting a used Vox Pathfinder 15R for $85 ( local CL) is probably the best ( certainly under $100) gear purchase I've ever made.

What makes it even better was I did not know at the time of purchase, that I would use it as a main gig amp for years.

So I have honestly made thousands of dollars playing this amp.

simoncroft, unixfish and elihu like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I've told this experience before, but it was when I was almost out of money during college and went to the horse race track for the first time (1975). I lost every bet to "place" during the evening, so I put everything I had left on a horse to win for the finale. It came in second, thus I lived off Kraft mac & cheese for quite some time after that until I found another job. However, I never gambled again with my hard earned money except for nickel-anti poker with friends. Yup, the best $100 I ever spent.

6. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Best non-musical investment: +/- $100 for dinner with a woman on January 11, 1994. She had been turning me down for 6 months and finally agreed to go out. We both thought it was a one-time deal. We're still together 27 years later.

Musical: In 2013 I bought back a Hondo II H-1020 I traded into a music store 25 years earlier for $100. Honorable mention: My 2017 Epiphone Les Paul SL. $99 brand new...but it took $45 in parts and some elbow grease to make it acceptable.

Obsessed and unixfish like this.
  7. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

A share of Apple stock in like 2005

koen, Obsessed and unixfish like this.
  8. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my future wife's second date- cheap dinner and a couple of Lucinda Williams tickets

Music probably a Japan boss od1 and boss chorus pedal for maybe $50. It was my first and only overdrive pedal from 1991-2010 or so then I fell under the influence of the internet and "needed" others....I still like it but I prefer a more tweed sound these days

unixfish likes this.
  9. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not going to bore y’all with yet another 22LR story.

It’s a 9mm story, and it ends with me giggling moon-evenings past ammoseek but then weeping uncontrollably because those silhouettes aren’t going to sieve themselves.

unixfish likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought this in Singapore early '79 after checking out a few guitar shops.... I was on my way home after trekking overland from Europe and didn't have as much spare cash to buy a guitar. Something I said I'd do when passing through Singapore.

100 bucks was all I allowed myself and this Ibanez felt the best to me... still have it hanging on the wall beside me...

still straight and true with a flat top.... never been in a case in it's life.... a well spent hundy..:cool:

Ibanez 2.jpg

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You tipped your wife at your wedding?
    I’m sure glad I have somebody who sticks around and keeps me in line!

unixfish likes this.
  12. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

300F819B-9A5C-4C05-BB4E-A67842ABF774.jpeg
    Faster than a speeding bullet, and the coffee stays hot in the carafe, next to my recliner, without scorching on a heating element.

unixfish and swervinbob like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think I paid $175 for an antique we figured was a sweet 16 diamond, not used for engagement. (My wife hates the type that catches on things)

After the initial price I paid $150 to get it sized then had to bring it to a better jeweler a second time and have the whole bottom section of the band replaced.

Marriage seems fraught with pitfalls and challenges!

unixfish likes this.
  14. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I bought a custom made spiral staircase. The plant that made it wanted $1k to install it. I was thinking about doing it myself. They said it would be the best $1k that I would ever spend. They were right. It took two of them four days.

unixfish likes this.
  15. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

This back in 1984.
    Princeton.JPG
    I only paid $15 for it. I spent the rest of the $100 allotment on chewing tobacco and beer so there's that.

16. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Right before I saw this thread I checked a place I bought $100 of Bitcoin when it was on the way down a couple of years ago and forgot about it. Now it’s $350. Maybe not the best $100 spent, but the first thing I thought of. I’ll probably think of something better later.

unixfish likes this.
  17. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

I once loaned a "friend" $100 and never saw him again. I've long thought that was the best $100 I ever spent.

18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yamaha Silent Guitar - $99 in a Mom and Pop music store my son was taking drum lessons at.

unixfish likes this.
  19. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

$20 for an early 60s Les Paul/SG in a pawn shop in Hudson, NY. That was around '68.
    Mid 70s for a Shell pink Fender Jaguar at a flea market in Edison, NJ.
    $90 For a Silverface Twin Reverb from Buy Lines.
    Swapped a BF Bandmaster head for a 60s Black beauty Les Paul.

Bill, Jim622 and unixfish like this.
  20. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Can't recall if it was $100 or just $80, but it was a Wurlitzer 200, w/ a broken AC-connection bus.
    Fixed for a buck as soon as I got home.
    Weighted keys & Ray Charles What I Say tone for days.
    Alas, no midi, but so what.
    Peace - Deeve

unixfish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.