1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Is The Best $100 You Ever Spent

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jan 21, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The actual amount is not the point - but what was something you bought that was the best money you have spent? Was there a story behind it?

Here is mine.

We have a 6 or 7 year old Samsung smart TV. Neither of us really like it much, but it's OK. About two or three years ago, it started having issues with the streaming apps. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon apps would crash often, or split the screen with a green bar and have images superimposed over each other. Then the apps would crash, the TV would crash, and take 2 to 3 minutes to reset before apps would run again. Start Netflix or Hulu, TV crashes, and we start over. PITA.

My wife wanted a new TV - I was starting to think maybe she was right, but on an almost whim, I decided to buy a Roku to "do the streaming" and remove the TV apps from the equation. The TV did not crash with the satellite dish attached. I looked on-line, and the top-of-the-line Roku was only $99.95 - basically $100. I ordered one, and hoped for the best.

The unit arrived, and I installed it. Easy enough. Logged back in to aal the apps, easy enough. Then we started using it. This thing is amazing. Apps load in seconds rather than the 30 to 45 the TV took, it is really easy to navigate, and streaming is seamless. This thing is a full fledged PC without a monitor and a remote for a keyboard. I still cannot believe it was only $100. Even if we get a new TV that will do all this stuff, I am still going to keep using the Roku.

We have since "cut the cable" and dumped our satellite service; we are streaming exclusively. All of us a home love the Roku; we even mimic the "bee-doo" sound it makes when you select an app.

Best $100 I ever spent.

What story do you have?

2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I bought a '96 Tele and the "stock" pickups were crap. I replaced them with a set of '51 Nocasters pickups. Best $150~ to date. I'm sure I'll eventually find a better purchase but it has not happened yet.

sswoverl and unixfish like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

That gas money I spent to rescue a dog whose owner had a coronary and needed hospital and then convalescent care for a long time.

I got the better part of the deal.

4. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

$40 MIM Strat.

sswoverl and unixfish like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

$125 bought me a '68 Blonde Tele with a maple capped neck. It looked like it survived years behind a cage like Steve Cropper's Tele in the Blues Brothers...

TwoBear, simoncroft and unixfish like this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

1973, I paid $425 for my 1939 Martin D18. Value today: $25K, but the best value is in having it to play- I have been truly blessed!

8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

A bit over but definitely under the 100.00 originally stipulated
    My ‘74 LP Special was a slide guitar a friend of mine had that I lusted over for several years. When he got a SG (after liking mine) the LP never got played and somehow had a damaged tuner. I never knew that story.
    After years of asking if Buddy wanted to sell and him being very noncommittal on selling it I made one final attempt.
    I told him I’d never ask again if he would sell it. He said he’d take $500.00 for the guitar.
    I hurried over and gave him a check. Buddy never cashed the check. He intimated but never said for sure but I have no record of it ever being cashed

So the best $500.00 I never spent is my LP Special

simoncroft and unixfish like this.
  9. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

40 bucks on gas and 45 buck on bridge toll to have the first date with my future wife.

10. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

$99 first-generation Roku. Screw watching streaming content on a computer.

TwoBear, Rocky058 and unixfish like this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

See? You get it! :lol::lol::lol:

Rocky058 likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Any time limit?
    Like my second car (67 Beetle) was $50 in 1975?

The $100 thing, I remember a MIJ Squier Strat at Mannys was $100 and a store demo so near mint. It had been the demo guitar for a Roland synth and sat in the keyboards room.
    $175 bought me 1961 LP Jr AKA SG Jr.

simoncroft and unixfish like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh I traded a beater RB800 head and a travel guitar for a first gen Alembic bass like the Stanley Clark model.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

On a musical instrument, probably my '94 Godin G-4000. It sounds incredible, and it's well built.

On anything? Man; I don't know.

unixfish likes this.
  15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

2nd marriage license & tip to judge.

getbent, Ricky D. and unixfish like this.
  16. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I have met very few Godin built guitars that I did not like...although a few of the newer seagulls are not as nice as the older ones, but that might be preference talking.

El Famoso and unixfish like this.
  17. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

$45.00 for an all original '72 Musicmaster Bass amp I got from a neighbor that didn't have any interest in the amp that was stored in a shed. I went through the amp and replaced the power caps with FETs and cleaned everything up. The amp sounded/looked great.
    In 2014 GC screwed me by saying over the phone that they would give me $300.00 for it. When I got there they offered me $150.00. I had to drive over an hour to the store and I went there with my nephew to outfit him with a decent beginner's rig, I was pretty upset about it but took the offer because of how far I had to drive.
    The Store manager looked to be 22 years or so old and I was 54 at the time. At least I got my nephew some pedals/strings etc.
    I never should've taken the deal and hung onto that amp. Lesson's learned after being burned.

unixfish likes this.
  18. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

100 Apple shares for around 4.50 per share in 2008.

19. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Bought my girlfriend a cheap engagement ring. My wife still wears it 47 years later. Best investment I ever made.

20. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

only problem with the best 100 dollars I ever spent, it was usually followed by another good 100 dollar bill down the drain

Zakkarist, Jupiter and unixfish like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.