What is the attraction?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jayvansickle, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jayvansickle

jayvansickle TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

i can't figure out what it is about my cv50s BSB that makes me just love this guitar. I am 59 years old and have probably owned 30 or 40 guitars. This is the only guitar I bought sight unseen. I own a mim Tele that I bought at Guitar Center and I like the guitar really well. I don't know what it is about the cv50. I own 7 guitars right now and I always grab my cv50. I don't think I will ever buy anything other than a Tele.

2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I played one in the store just this morning, and I understand whereof you speak.;) There's just something about those guitars that's really nice.

In fact, I played three different Squier Teles--a CV, an Affinity, and a Standard, and other than the fact that one needed a high E string height adjustment, they were all pretty great.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I see them as an unexpected value. They're well built and finished, they often come pretty well set up right out of the box so they also tend play well right from the start, and Fender was wise enough to use MIA specs and the old standby Alnico pickups to give them enough vintage flavor to satisfy most. I don't think many buyers were expecting all of that in a sub $400 guitar.

4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

^pretty much this. when i grab a $1200 MIA tele... my mind is expecting a certain quality... and i'm usually not disappointed. lately, when i grab a MIM or a CV though... my expectations are far exceeded. the quality coming out of the budget fender models is pretty insane

5. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

That's a great point. I had researched them quite a bit here and in other reviews, and had an idea they were a good value. Otherwise, to have picked up a $199 Tele that played as well as that would have astonished me...if I had bothered to pick one up at all.

Where's that "embarrassed" emoticon when I need it? Ha.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the pickups may have something to do with it, too. Those toneriders, which are used in the CV guitars are quite nice. I especially like the ALnico 3's which are on some of the 50's CV's (A3's are only used on certain colors, for whatever reason)

FWIW, I recently put some CV50's pickups (Tonerider TRS5) in a G&L S-500 (Think strat) and they sound fantastic, considering I spent $40 on the set, which also came with a pick guard.

7. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

I had a different experience. Three years ago, at 42, I finally got frustrated with having always wanted to play guitar but never having tried. Bought a Fender acoustic pack, loved it, bought a studio level Epiphone Les Paul and it was okay. Then I ordered a CV50s BSB, mostly because I thought it had country stereotype and I'd read it was a good value.

For me, the CV was easy to play, made me feel like a better player, just generally felt better in my hands and gave me confidence. I was way too inexperienced (and still am!) to worry about things like which pickups or what vintage sound it had. It just made me want to play.

Now that guitar is esquired, with the stock bridge PUP, and I love even more.

8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I love the feel of those CV necks. I've got a rosewood CV neck on my partscaster SX STL50, and I'd be happy to have that neck on all my guitars. The only thing I don't like are the Kluson style gears, but that's just me.

9. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

I really like them a lot, have 3 now. I really like the neck and great pick ups too. The only neck I like as well as these is my Fender Nashville neck. Good stuff!

Corey

10. swamper95

swamper95 TDPRI Member

I own 7 guitars including Les paul, Am standard tele, Duesenburg starplayer and get it 3 CV'S. This bsb is my go to axe.i absolutely adore thus baby! I have modded neck pup and refinished but was great out of box

ForumRunner_20150211_055622.jpg

ForumRunner_20150211_055636.jpg

11. jayvansickle

Is that Nitrocellulose BSB on your guitar? I love that color!

12. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Well to sort of sum up what everyone has already said...You get a pretty nicely crafted instrument that plays about as well as anything that's available from any of Fender's manufacturing facilities...one that should cost three times what it does....and at better than half the price of the others....

So two divided by three...carry the one and...Ummm....Well...I never have been very good at all the cipherin' stuff but I certainly recognize a bargain when I see one.

That's the attraction...at least the way I figure it...

13. jayvansickle

Thank you! You summed it up quite nicely.

14. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

Similar conversations are going on all the time among Squier VM Jazzmaster and Jaguar owners. Mind-boggling low prices on guitars that can hold their own even in very exalted company.

:)

-don

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

From inception Leo designed his guitars to be relatively simple for semi-skilled workers to build correctly so whether those workers are in California, Mexico, China, Japan, or Indonesia the results are going to be somewhat the same as far as the build itself goes. It should be no more difficult to train a worker in China than it is in California in something as simple as the assembly of a guitar. CNC machines do the rest.

The primary differences I've found with MIA guitars are essentially the use of higher grade components in some cases and the attention paid to the finish work done on the necks and frets and some cases even that isn't far superior to what's found on many of the Chinese or Japanese models. There are both jewels and junk coming from all manufacturing locations.

So as we're all well aware it's the lower labor costs overseas that allow Fender to produce guitars of nearly equal quality and playability there along with some added savings in the cost of materials but by far labor costs are the biggest difference and they are significant.

The nice thing about all of this is that we now have a broad selection of import guitars and basses that are quite well made and excellent as far as their playability and tone are concerned. When I began playing that was so far from being true that you couldn't wait until you could afford a real Fender or Gibson or Epiphone. The imports were that bad!

Comparatively speaking we really are in the Golden Age of Gear where a buyer can spend a couple of hundred dollars or a few thousand to get the guitar or bass that works best for them and IMHO that's exactly the way it should be. It's a great time to be in the market for gear.

16. Slidertom

Slidertom Tele-Meister

soulman969,
    I believe you nailed it. After a 43 year lay-off from guitars, my wife and son bought me anew Strat[Fender MiM] and an Orange amp for Father's Day last year. Pretty stoked! However, I've always liked the Tele's. When I started to look what is out there, I couldn't believe the quality and the prices! And all the models. You are right, CNC machining has changed everything for manufacturing these very fine, inexpensive guitars. I now have a Douglas Tele-type that I really like. I am buying Hadean Tele-type to learn some modding on. It is indeed a great time for us gear nuts.

Oh, I like my Strat,but, that Douglas gets played more. And working on another Tele!

17. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

I hate 'em. I'd have given you mine when I first got my CV50 Tele. It was the first thing that I replaced. They are just way too thin for my liking.

18. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

The Vintage tuner style is my favourite.
    I love my CV but don't like CV necks at all, Fender should fatten them.

19. swamper95

swamper95 TDPRI Member

I think the slim necks make the CV's what they are. I can help but think If you like fatter necks why wouldent you go with a guitar with a neck that's right for you?.in my opinion fender have it spot on with these necks. Nicest I've ever felt on a tele.

20. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

The neck and neck pickup are the only original parts left on my CV50s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.