What Is The Acceptable Amp Price Limit?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sax4blues, May 12, 2014.

At What Point Is No Guitar Amp Worth The Price?

1. $1,000

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. $2,000

29 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. $3,000

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. $4,000

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. $5,000

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. $6,000

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. $7,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. $8,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. $9,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. $10,000

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

The Poll question of "At What Point Is No Guitar Amp Worth The Price?" is completely subject to how much a person is willing to spend. For me - that's $1K.

But the question really has nothing to do with "how good" the amp is.
    One simple example: Is a $5K amp really that much better than a VOX AC30? Would Brian May or the Edge have been more successful or had better tones with a $5K amp?

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The most I've ever paid for an amp was $200.00, a Marshall Valvestate about four years ago, and a Twin Reverb in 1978. One of the few things I haven't overspent on... yet!:D

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I spent $2100 on custom built Fargen in 2007. Before that I had a twin I bought used (still have it) I don't spend a lot on music gear most my guitars I built. Now I do have the $$ I could spend I don't really need to buy an Amp I recently built my first Amp 5E3 and then a second, but I can see spending money on building more Amps way to addictive.

4. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Holic

+1.

5. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

That's where I was rooted in the Dumble threads. A lot of posters state that those amps are not worth $20K+. So that's the question, regardless of what I can buy, what is the max beyond which it's just silly?

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you won lotto.... would you buy the most expensive Amp.. just because you could...?

or just buy the Amp that you wanted to play the most?... the one you liked the sound of...

I would do the latter.... ;)

7. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

$1,500 is what I was hoping to select as well.

8. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I've never spent more than 500 on an amp. I have only bought used though. New I would say a thousand. The one I play now I just built for a little over 400 and would put it up against any amp at any price. If some ones charging you upwards of 2000-10000 dollars for an amp they have no soul and just are taking advantage of people. I can see 1000 dollars for a nice high wattage head and maybe 700 for a matching cab but that better be one great sounding head and cab. I totalled the amount of every amp I ever owned and it was less that 1600.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I basically agree with your premise, though my cutoff price was lower. I said $3000, which is in fact WWAAYY more than I personally would ever spend. There can certainly be amps that are worth more than I am willing to pay, whether I am measuring by market price or some idea about parts+labor+reasonable mark-up.

10. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I could see a pristine Fender late 50's or mid 60's amp being $3,000 (obviously some are more).....that is the limit in my book. My most expensive amp was $650 so what do I know

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've forgotten a bunch, but I've owned 30 or 40 tube guitar amps, mostly pro but some student amps as well, and of the lot there was ONE that had the widest sweet spot, the creamiest sustain that could change to growl by touch, and could also sound clean by touch at the same settings.

The fact that there are some amps that can do all that so much better than almost all other amps is what makes me believe that an individual guitar amp can be worth a lot more than almost all other guitar amps.

If a player doesn't want to get their sounds that way, then there's not a whole lot of reason to buy an amp with that kind of capability.
    A BF/SF Twin or Super does a great job of what it's designed for, and IMO can't really do that thing better if you throw money at it.

I wonder if the vast number of distortion/ sustain pedals has any connection to a general dis-satisfaction with guitar amp distortion quality.
    If the assumption is that distortion comes from pedals, that takes some pressure off the amp.
    If there are so many under $1000 amps that have all a player needs, then why do players need so many pedals to make their amps sound good?

If I acquire 10 boost/ OD/ dist/ comp pedals at a cost of $1000, plus board, power supplies, patch cords, totaling more than I paid for my amp, and still search out more pedals to get hopefully better sounds; IDK but maybe the amp lacks something and all the pedals with their transistor promises never quite nail "IT".

12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I guess where I am going is that it is "NEVER SILLY" if you have the money to spend and I want it... For some people $50,000 is like my $50. That's just the way it is. In that case the Dumble is worth it to them.

So if I'm reading the question properly (now)... If I had all the money in the world, what is the most I would spend on an amp? I would say that "trev333" says it better than I can...

13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

If I felt sick while buying an amp I would have to think its not worth it. I've spent lots on amps and never felt sick doing it. If I did I think that would tell me I can't afford it.

14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The great thing about having unlimited funds is you could spend a couple years buying and trying all the hyped up amps that are out of the ordinary mans budget, to see if they are amps that you actually love the sound of.
    I've been able to buy and sell many amps between $1,500 and $3,500. If I had unlimited money I'd probably be buying amps between $5,000 and $25,000. If I like em I keep em. If I don't I sell them.

15. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Whatever I could get a used Mesa Boogie Mk 1 for. No need for me to spend more.

16. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

How do you know what I can and can not afford?

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

For what amp?
    Small combo or stack? That would be a big difference.

I think you should always just buy what you can afford. Providing for your family (or yourself if you are single) should be your first priority. If enough money is left after that go for what you want and need and what makes you happy. For John Mayer buying a dumble is no big deal, it would be for me.
    If you are a professional musician you can just make the maths - investions vs. income to find out which budget you have for an amp.
    For a hobbyist it is just what he wants and what he can afford. Hell, people spend thousands of $ for fishing equipment, why shouldn't they spend on amps.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

It may also depend on whether you have a road crew to tote your amp... or whether you have to carry it to gigs yourself....;)

or have one plonked immovable in your lounge room... like my super 210...;)

if one is paying 1-2 grand for a guitar... I think a well made amp in the same range shouldn't seem like a huge expense...:)

19. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Right, trev. A marshall stack just doesn't make sense for someone playing bars.
    Same for a Vibro King. It may get you "the sound" on a big stage but for a small bar it is just oversized and you'll hate it everytime you move it.
    Rereading the OP I ask myself wether he refers to what Alexander Dumble charges his customers or the prices that these amps get on the used (or rather collectors) market. I think these are different - he won't work for you and me, though so for us a dumble is like a mythological beast. As a sidestory, I was standing beside a guy playing a dumble a couple of months ago. The guy played really bad so to me it sounded bad. Wouldn't blame the gear, though.
    Anyway - if the question is really "when is a price resonable and at which point does it become obscene?" I think it is all about the labour that goes into the amp, development, building, maybe tweaking for a specific player, also marketing, administration. In a free market a builder or company can also add a surplus - as much as people are willing to pay. Sometimes it also makes sense to charge more - I read a story that the vibro king sold even better after a price raise.

20. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

as nosuch said,
    one really needs to distinguish between new or secondhand if discussing a Dumble amp in this way.
    The new ones are bespoke and secondhand is like buying old shoes. New may fit better.

Silly is when you cannot keep up with your other commitments.
    tony

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.