What Is The Acceptable Amp Price Limit?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sax4blues, May 12, 2014.

At What Point Is No Guitar Amp Worth The Price?

1. $1,000

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. $2,000

29 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. $3,000

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. $4,000

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. $5,000

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. $6,000

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. $7,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. $8,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. $9,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. $10,000

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The recurring Dumble threads are usually kicked off by disbelief that a guitar amp would be worth the prices Dumble commands. Now for my purposes and financial situation the acceptable price range is under $1,000 and I selected the Vox AC15C1 for $600. The price range goes up from my Vox and I see amp prices 2x, 3x, ..... up to 10x for a Quinn at $6,000, and I'm sure there are even pricier amps.

So if Dumbles are "overpriced", what is the top price limit for a guitar amp?

2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"acceptable price range" that pretty much sizes it up. Everyones budget is deferent.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow your poll doesn't go anywhere near low enough for me

4. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking more in generalities of any amp, not what I can afford. I can't afford a $2,500 65 Amps London, but if I could I would buy one. But I probably would not spend over $3,000 on any amp, no matter my finances.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I could afford a $3K amp today. Easy. But I won't spend that on a guitar amp, no way, not when there are so many great amps to be had for $500, and less.

If the used market didn't exist, this might be different. But the fact of the matter is for whatever reason, there is a constant supply of used amps out there, at relatively very low prices.

6. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

I think that there are non-one-off amps at $3000 that someone could argue are worth buying. Two-Rock, Dr Z, and even a few Fenders at $3k are outstanding amps if you have the means. From there I think you're getting into amps that aren't readily available or mass marketed and you're way out of my league. I'd love to own a few $3k amps including the 3 I mentioned, but until my financial situation is a lot different, I'm out of luck.

7. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

From a purely economic perspective, an amp is worth what people are willing to pay. Some folks will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a Dumble, so, regardless of what you or I are willing to pay, it is worth that much.

Even from an individual perspective, the value changes over time. Six years ago, I would have been willing to pay $1,000 for an amp; I was newly married, and both my wife and I were working. Today, there is no amp worth a dollar of my money; I have kids, and with my wife working part-time, we do not have the disposable income to spend on my hobby, especially when I already have a few good sounding amps.

Ultimately, I do not think you're going to get any sort of meaningful answer to this question.

8. Tonejnky

Tonejnky TDPRI Member

If money wasn't a factor for me I'd go with a used Matchless amp. I see too many on stage with big name people. Matchless, Two Rock, or Jackson. All GREAT amps!!

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I say a million dollars.

THere is no reason any price would be OK for a Les Paul, a Martin or whatever, & not be ok for an amp.

I don't see anybody on this forum periodically going hysterical or whining about vintage guitar prices, or about Fender/Gibson custom shop prices - $$$$$$$ for 2 planks of wood, glued or bolted together.

If there's an acceptable price limit - let it cover everything, guitars, amps & effects - & not just Howard Dumble.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

if there was a 1500 button I woulda clicked that. 1000 is pushing it. 2000 is completely out of the question, I dont care how good the amp is, I am not going to sound any better.

11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I once said I'd never spend $3,000 on an amp. Then I did. I've purchased 2 amps in my life that were over 3K.

12. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

If I was a millionaire, I would be all over a Dumble SSS, no limit.

13. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Your list does not go high enough. I would spend 20-25K for an amp if I thought it worth it and I had the money at the time. On the other hand, I can buy all kinds of fabulous amps that suit me perfectly well for 1000-2000 often much less.

14. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

Aren't we in a market economy? No limits.

Isn't a Dumble like a bespoke tailored Saville Row suit? You need a referral and if you need to ask the price it means you cannot afford it. That's life.

For the poll I voted 2k because currently over that price I would consider building the amp myself.

15. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

many many beautiful amps at the $2000 range. and the used market is gold at $1500

I don't have a need to spend more

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The poll question is "at what point is no guitar amp worth the price", but I suspect that some of us voted for the max amount we would spend.
    I don't want to say that a brilliant designer/ builder whose amps are undeniably and uniquely excellent is a charlatan if they charge X amount for one.
    Most voted for the $2000 mark, and that's kind of a slap in the face to Ken Fischer, Howard Dumble, Jim Kelley and Gerald Weber, among many others.

I would almost certainly never spend more than maybe $3000 on an amp IF I could afford it, but I voted $6000 as a point where even the greatest designer/ builder must be farting around on my dime if they can't make a living selling amps at that price.

17. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Holic

While I tend to have a very small budget myself, I'm totally happy with things being priced where they need to be to cover the cost of parts, materials and overheads and pay the guys building and selling them a living wage. Gear that's hand built in a high cost-of-living country can be justifiably expensive, but it's only when there seems to be added value for prestige that I don't quite get it.
    It's hard to put a definite figure on this, as it has to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

The most Ive spent on an amp was my Ceriatone 2550 at $800. The most I spent on a guitar was my Guild at $900. The Guild was spread out over the last 12 months but the Ceriatone was one large plop of cash out of pocket. It almost made me sick paying it :lol:

19. mikebledsoe

mikebledsoe TDPRI Member

I would love to have a Fender Twin Reverb, but there is NO WAY I'd spend $1500 on an amp, especially with all the modeling technology nowadays. Most Ive ever spent was $700, and I still have buyers blues from that.

20. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

$2000. I want a Marshall Bluesbreaker.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.