1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the absolute most basic, easy-to-use DAW?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Telecaster88, Sep 8, 2020.

1. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

For reasons known only to someone other than my normally sane self I pulled the trigger and purchased Mixbus 32C V6 on special the other day discounted around $300AU, simple install on PC and Laptop.

Tonight I am doing a bit of mixing in my usual weapon of war, Reaper and decided to load the rendered master track into Mixbus to have a play and see what I could do with it.

Because I was only wanting to listen to the mix through the cans I set the audio out to ASIO4ALL for my Focusrite, instant fail it wouldn't start the audio because it said I had audio hardware and driver issues.

Knowing that side of the machine is bullet proof it had to be some sort of issue within Mixbus.

Set the input to Focusrite as well as the output and away it flew, contrary bastrad.

Obviously not all error messages are created equal.

At the moment I'm still working in Reaper balancing up a new song which has 9 guitar tracks, 6 vocal tracks plus drums, bass, piano, fiddle & steel, yeah there's lots of harmony stuff happening at various points and too much to deal with while learning a new DAW so Mixbus can wait until I've got clear air.

Skully and T Prior like this.
  2. samm57

samm57 TDPRI Member

I use two mixers. I use one mixer for inputs (mic, guitar, keyboard, etc.) I split the output signal and send one output to the input on my soundcard and the other input into a second mixer. With the second mixer I also monitor the stereo output from the soundcard. I started using this set up probably 10 years ago and there is no latency because you are not trying to monitor the input and output of the computer at the same time. Here's an example:

Skully likes this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks a lot. Cool tune.

samm57 likes this.
  4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I like it!

samm57 likes this.
  5. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest TDPRI Member

I've used a bunch of DAWs from Audacity to Ableton Live to Audition CC to Pro Tools to Studio One and everything in between. Right now I'm using Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio. It's very easy to use and incorporates video well.

6. loudboy

loudboy TDPRI Member

I used to use Cakewalk/Sonar, but switched over to Reaper about 6-7 years ago. It's routing is a little quirky, but it's insanely powerful, cheap and sounds great. I also really dig the fact that it's almost totally customizable, so I can set it up for my favored workflow.

That said, all DAWs are pretty similar - if you've learned one, a few hours on any others will make you functional, at least.

I'm not a big fan of the all-in-one VS-XXX type things - they bridged the gap between the death of tape, and computers that weren't powerful enough to handle bigger products. Computers have caught up, are easier to record on, sound better and have as much capability as you need them to have.

suthol likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.